Do you take self defence classes?

TheWhiteRaider

Do you take self defence classes?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you take self defence classes?

• Yes
    • No

Originally posted by StormHammer

TheWhiteRaider...you do know what the edit.gif button is for, don't you? Right? Please feel free to use it. :cool:

As for self-defence...no, I can't say I've ever bothered. But then, I used to do body-building, and I used to be 17 stone of solid muskles. *yuk yuk yuk (bad Popeye impression)*

Sorry. I didn't post those at the same time. I use the edit a lot so you don't need to remind me. Thanks anyways

I dont take self defence classes or anything like that.

Im too broke and it seems a waste of time.

It isn't if you get the right class. I mean what happens if you come up against a ground fighter(A guy who trys to get you and himself to the ground.) A strong fist doesn't do you any good there.

My teacher is a black belt in 15 different styles(I would list them, but I can't spell most of them.)

Originally posted by JandoFett1842

I have no need 2, anyone who messes with me is dead (literaly) even if they know karatie or tiq-quando (i spell worse 2day cuZ i spilled pepsi on my rounded keyboard and have 2 type diffret and i also might get carple tunnel), cuz i know some jujitsu (my best friend knows like a ton of kung fu stuf so i learn from sparing with him) few stuff from shu-linn, i know how 2 do the wushu needles but i dont do htat cuz thats just wrong, and also i am very strong with my punches (muscle and some ti-chi) and the giant knife thats i usaly keep with me (exept in school or no weapons places) helps 2

Though that knife will do you no good if the attack takes you by suprise. With my current training I can take your knife and punch you before you know what hits you. Not I say you shouldn't have a knife, but you can't always be in a posistion where you can have it out. And a fist does no good if the other guys is stronger. 85% of attacks happen without the victim knowing about it untill the attacker is on the victim. A knife is good if you have distance between you and the attacker, but in close quarters you can't draw a knife. And trading blows isn't a good idea. Because someone will not attack you unless they think they can beat you. So odds are they will be stronger than you.

edit: I put can insted of can't at one point.

Never took any self defense, but I have however beat up a couple of kids in my life time. It's like I get like Ralphy, from A Christmas Story and just keep pounding and pounding. I usually don't remember doing anything and somebody has to pull me off just like they did Ralphy. I don't get like that very often, but it also takes a whole heck of alot to put me in that mindstate.

originally posted by TheWhiteRaider

Because someone will not attack you unless they think they can beat you. So odds are they will be stronger than you.

This is an extremely important point, and it's one of the most important reasons people should take up some form of martial art.

Firstly, muggers, brawlers etc. don't just look at size or strength to find a victim. They look for a lack of confident body-language. One thing martial arts give you is confidence, and a confident air is the first line of defence against attack.

Secondly of course, martial arts train you to use your advantages to their best possible effect. If you're fast, a good martial art will help you use your speed. If you're tall, it'll help you use your reach. If you're strong, it'll help you use your strength.

And finally, hours of training and exercise should be a part of any good martial arts regime, so just add willpower, and you can use the process of learning a martial art to become stronger, quite simply.

Oh, and someone mentioned earlier in the thread that floor-fighting techniques are indispensable, and they were right. If you learn Karate or Tae Kwan Do, make sure you at least learn some basic grappling or Shootfighting techniques to go with your long-range style. It's an old martial arts adage that eight out of ten fights end up on the floor... make sure you have the skill to win if you get taken down.

A good training tech is to practice your art against other and especially against good street fighters.

Sweep techniques are not used in most martial arts tournies and thus are not as practiced by martial artists, they work wonders againt side kicks.

I took kick boxing for a few years and learned so grappling techniques from some korean guys that go to the same gym as I do.

I will say this,

-the only fight you win is the one that you avoided, going to jail is not worth it and I have come way to close at times.

-If you do fight remember the golden rule, strike fast, strong, and to weak spots. End it quickly if you can a long fight usually results in too hurting idiots, one of which hurts slightly less.

"When the opponent expand, I contract,

When he contracts, I expand,

And when there is an opportunity,

I do not hit--it hits all by itself. "

"Not being tense but ready. Not thinking but not dreaming. Not being set but

flexible. Liberation from the uneasy sense of confinement. It is being

wholly and quietly alive, aware and alert, ready for whatever may come."

wise words of Bruce Lee

It's an old martial arts adage that eight out of ten fights end up on the floor...

True, but personally I feel that it's just as important to learn to stay away from the floor, especially when you're out in a pub. You never know how many people the other guy has around him that will help hi once you're down. Hell, even his girlfriend could be kicking you.

I'm not saying that ground-based fighting skills are useless, they aren't by a long shot, but I certainly try to avoid having to use them in a fight.

Personally I think having a broad specter of techniques is the way to go. There's way to many martial arts people claiming their own style as the most effective in the world, but you really should know a little bit of everything to be a good, adaptive fighter.

used to take jiu jitsu and okinawan karate. (forget the exact style name but it was from okinawa and apparently pretty good). in the end the kids overran the place. bloody daycare center it became.

if im ever out on the town then chances are that ive got at least 3 of my buddies with me and muggers brawlers etc arent gonna tackle 4 of us. in my experience the karate i learned only really helped me for drinking games like punch for punch and for smaller fights that are mostly for fun, you just want to piss them off and/or make them look stupid. for anything serious my body drops into its jiujitsu training and 9/10 times i get a headlock on them and end it that way. most ppl stop resisting when they realize that they are stuck in a sleeper hold and cant get out. if i need to ill tighten up or use an armbar (ju jigatomi) but that only happened twice so far. im not really a fighting type of guy but it innevitably will happen so why not be prepared?

Originally posted by Dath Maximus

dont need no defense class.

i got me a metal baseball bat.:D

You think that you can have that bat in your hand if someone jumps you from behind?

The false confidence that weapon amke it that.

The weapons come from nowhere and pops into your hand.

As in other words. There is a drawing action and other actions(Depending on the weapon)

My teacher tells me that though weapons are nice. You can't use them all the time!! Infact in if the other guys has a weapon with longer range you are going to have trouble. And also part of my class is applying what we learned to a real condition. I have tried to pull a real gun(empty though.) while I have someone chargeing at full speed a me from 30 ft. away. I couldn't chamber a round even to save my life before the person got to me. And now if that was real life I would be in trouble with out training. So don't get over confident about weapons.

Originally posted by FatalStrike

the only fight you win is the one that you avoided, going to jail is not worth it and I have come way to close at times.

Amen. It's too easy to just say to the guy, "Well, it's been fun, but now I'm bored." and walk away. Works (almost) every time. Why throw gasoline on a fire?

9 times outta 10, someone who wants to fight you won't know how to respond to your just walking away. When they see that they haven't ruffled your feathers, they genuinely don't know how to respond and before they realize it, you're half way down the street. :)

It's not about running away, but walking away with your dignity intact. And that takes a great deal of restraint, but it's always worked for me. Who wants to be taken away in cuffs with a black eye and a bloody lip anyway only to face a judge the next morning for a myriad of charges that run the gamut from Felony Assault to Destruction of Private Property to the good ol' Disturbing the Peace?

It's one thing when you're a kid in the playground, but when you're an adult, consequences are far more severe as can be the outcome such as someone brandishing a loaded weapon for instance. "I'd kick it out of his hand and shove it up his arse!!" Someone who says this has obviously never looked down the barrel of a loaded .38. I have. It ain't fun.

Originally posted by Darth Talliusc

used to take jiu jitsu and okinawan karate. (forget the exact style name but it was from okinawa and apparently pretty good). in the end the kids overran the place. bloody daycare center it became.

if im ever out on the town then chances are that ive got at least 3 of my buddies with me and muggers brawlers etc arent gonna tackle 4 of us. in my experience the karate i learned only really helped me for drinking games like punch for punch and for smaller fights that are mostly for fun, you just want to piss them off and/or make them look stupid. for anything serious my body drops into its jiujitsu training and 9/10 times i get a headlock on them and end it that way. most ppl stop resisting when they realize that they are stuck in a sleeper hold and cant get out. if i need to ill tighten up or use an armbar (ju jigatomi) but that only happened twice so far. im not really a fighting type of guy but it innevitably will happen so why not be prepared?

It is good to have buddies with you. Now a question is what happens if there are 6 muggers with knifes? And I agree that it is good to be prepared

Remember there are several different ways someone can attack you.

1. Punch

2. Kick

3. Headbutt

4. Weapon

5. Mass attack(More than one attacker)

Also remember unless this happens to you alot "You will not rise to you best. You will fall to your worst". So you need to work on what you are bad with. Sort of like you punch real good with you right arm and bad with your left arm. But what happens if you get you right arm disabled by knife,broken arm, ect.? You only got a left arm that you are bad with. So if you worst is better than the other guys best you can beat him.

Been practising karate for about 12 years. Quit a few years ago due to injuries and moving to another city where the trainer was a few grades below me in rank. :p

Thinking about making a come back though.. I'd love to try the "combat karate"-style (shoot-fighters mostly), but the injury-level is so high that..I better not. ;)

I doubt it would do good for my perormance on the basketball court either. And having a black eye might be troublesome at work..my boss wouldn't like it :D

I've never competed..don't like the style of karate-competitions: ' wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, PUNCH, wait, wait, wait, wait, PUNCH - match over. :(

Personally I can't stand the yellow-belt-guys who try to show off in public. In a real fight high kicks are suicide.

...that reminds me - one karate-guy over here got hurt really bad 'cause he started STRETCHING before a fight. The other guy simply walked over to him while he was on the ground strecthing and beat him up. :disaprove

Live and learn.

Originally posted by TheWhiteRaider

I have tried to pull a real gun(empty though.) while I have someone chargeing at full speed a me from 30 ft. away. I couldn't chamber a round even to save my life before the person got to me. And now if that was real life I would be in trouble with out training. So don't get over confident about weapons.

Let me take this moment to assure you that running at someone with a gun will get you killed.

I have limited experience with a gun but I do know this...

1- A revovler is point and shoot, no chambering or safety

2- Running full speed at someone will make it easy to dodge your attack. If this person has a gun you will get shot.

3- People that know weapons and are practiced with them will leave a red dot between your eyes beofre you take your third step.

The only direction you run when you see a gun is in the direction of cover or escape. I have been in 3 situations where someone has pulled a gun, trust me you won't be going all "ninja" when you see one.

Originally posted by Luc Solar

Personally I can't stand the yellow-belt-guys who try to show off in public. In a real fight high kicks are suicide.

OMFG!!! Are you saying that you can't fight like they do in the movies!

Originally posted by Luc Solar

...that reminds me - one karate-guy over here got hurt really bad 'cause he started STRETCHING before a fight. The other guy simply walked over to him while he was on the ground strecthing and beat him up. :disaprove

Live and learn.

HAHA! My favorite was a while ago in highschool when one of the "I'm-more -poular-then-you" guys started mouthing off at my and trying to make fun of me to all his buddies. I punched him in the mouth while he was talking and he chipped his tough and ran off. hehe!

Originally posted by FatalStrike

Let me take this moment to assure you that running at someone with a gun will get you killed.

I have limited experience with a gun but I do know this...

1- A revovler is point and shoot, no chambering or safety

2- Running full speed at someone will make it easy to dodge your attack. If this person has a gun you will get shot.

3- People that know weapons and are practiced with them will leave a red dot between your eyes beofre you take your third step.

The only direction you run when you see a gun is in the direction of cover or escape. I have been in 3 situations where someone has pulled a gun, trust me you won't be going all "ninja" when you see one.

I didn't say I was running and I am a crack shot with a gun. And also I my class isn't ninja type class. It is more of a street fighting self-defence. It teaches me what to do if the attack is stronger,bigger,faster, armed, ect. and we even do some sparing.

1. If someone took you from behind you couldn't even get a revoler out in time.

2. Shock is a huge problem. If you have a hard time thinking in front of a crowd it is much harder to do when your life is on the line.

3. There is aiming time.

4. If you can not get the gun out fast enough the attack may take the gun and use it to his advantage.

If you intended on useing a weapon try this.

1. Try of course aiming quickly.

2. Try drawing quickly.

3. Use a fake or empty weapon and have friend dash at you from 15-30 ft. This will help.

4. Use training not a swelled head. Ignorance and overconfidence kills people.

Because you only have 10-20 secs untill the attack is on you. And don't expect your punch to server

Archived