Home

Death penility

TheWhiteRaider

well this is a dodgy subject really, there is no doubt that the penal sysytem is flawed - EVERYWHERE.

ok the way i see it, for murder lock them up for good with absolutely no chance of parole or release. yes this is expensive but its the price of a safe society.I would even go so far as to say that rapists should get life in prison, I feel that rape is a crime committed by those with psychological defects and i dont think it is a reformable state of mind. same goes for child abuse and molestation.

also believe me its abigger punishment to lock somenone up for ever rather than kill them.

I am totally against the death penalty. Like someone else said here, it's not our place to decide that another person must die. Let them be imprisoned for life, instead.

by letting them rot in jail, they suffer more and it is a worse punishment

If we did that for every killer we all would be paying $4,675,452.23 every year in taxes. I don't know about you, but I don't have that kind of money.

Funny that countries that don't practice death penalty don't have this problem...?

Originally posted by TheWhiteRaider

If we did that for every killer we all would be paying $4,675,452.23 every year in taxes. I don't know about you, but I don't have that kind of money.

What price for a human life? At what level of expense do you stop caring about a life? $10,000? $50,000? $100,000?

Is it any surprise, then, that some people mug old ladies (and kill them) for the £2 they have in their handbag? They don't value life at all, and I find that extremely sad. :(

However, just because someone else stops caring about human life...should we? Personally, I value life above all other things.

I have to say I'm against the death penalty...largely for the reason already outlined here, in that mistakes have been made in the past, and innocent people have been wrongly executed. You cannot restore a life already taken.

Im my mind, it is very difficult to achieve 100% proof against someone, unless, as stated, they are caught in the act on tape, or something. Usually that doesn't happen, and you are often reliant on witness statements. I think it is dubious at best when someone is convicted on the testimony of a sole eye witness, for example.

Anyway, I do think the penal system needs shaking up. When someone is sentenced to 'life' imprisonment for a crime, then it should mean life. My own feeling is that murderers should be segregated in the prison population from those who have conducted 'lesser' crimes. The 'one shoe fits all' approach is wrong, I think. I you put someone who has embezzled funds in the same cell as someone who is a vicious axe murderer, then that's plain wrong.

The punishment should fit the crime. If you take a life...then you spend your life behind bars. If you steal from people...then you should be forced to work for the community you stole from. I'm a strong believer in reform programs. Some work, some don't..but it's better to try than not try at all.

The other worrying proliferation is in paedophiles, and as far as I'm concerned, these people have a wire loose. If they kill children...then as I said before, lock them away for the rest of their lives. If they 'abuse' children but leave them alive...then put them in a secure institution, and in many cases that should be for life as well...if they are considered a danger to the community. In cases like this, I think there should be at least an annual (or more frequent) review of such people.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am in favour of the death penalty. The people should learn for the next time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you get it? The people CAN'T LEARN FOR THE NEXT TIME WHEN THEY ARE DEAD. And in afterlife, I think your memory gets wiped of the bad things, so HOW CAN YOU LEARN...

This once again shows the IQ of Britney...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I found that really funny.

StormHammer makes a lot of sense. The trouble is that we can't afford to be civilized. In a perfect world we would be able to find the unrepentant criminals and lock them away and force them to do useful labor, and then free the people who where merely screwed by their situation and let them off with a warning and a little caution.

Sadly we are not so accurately perceptive, and we are forced to live with the mistakes. It seems to me that money spent keeping a hardened criminal alive could be spent trying to feed the poor, or revitalize schools or cities. I believe in preventative measures, but these cost money, it seems to me that a focus is required.

The sad part to me is that we most likely could afford to save so many people if the rich weren't so consistently trying to make themselves more rich. I also find it ironic that the criminals who do the most harm, the white collar sort, are the ones who are treated most leinently.

I used to be in favor of the death penalty when I was younger. I'd always say "fry 'em." Now as I get a little older, I don't really think it does what it was inteded to do. Be a deterrent to crime and violent crime at that.

I really don't think the cost is the issue......if you look at the prices (today) that it takes to keep a criminal in jail for "the rest of his life" vs. death penalty.....they are basically the same. Of course there are always exceptions.

I totally agree with Darth Rommel, death is an easy way out for some of these criminals. I think most ppl would be surprised at how many ppl who are killed by the police each year actually wanted to die in the first place. I mean think about it......you don't just raise your gun at 20 police officers after a 30 mile chase and want to live anymore....it is suicide!

Could you just sitting in a jail cell for the rest of your life? That would be horrible! Doing nothing all day, having to look out for sexual predators etc. That is some scary s**t! All you have around you is solid walls........it is a depressing thought.

I think that we should keep these criminals alive and make them think about what they've done, make them suffer in prison as much as their victims have suffered.

Originally posted by Darth_Rommel

Death is the easy way out...

A life wasted in jail is far worse punishment, don't you agree?

...BTW, haven't seen you around in a long while, Vestril. Welcome back?

Too true, the only trouble is that it's very expensive :(

Originally posted by pantha-too-kay

Well, you can't make an omlette without breaking an egg or two... The real question should be why do people have to be so inherently bad that we need to be discussing the death penalty in the first place.

I think the idea that the punishment should fit the crime is an interesting one...

Ummm, the real question isn't 'why do people have to be so inherently bad that we need to be discussing the death penalty in the first place?' That question wastes our time. The question 'why do people's environments shape them in such a way that the death penalty is possibly needed?' is a better one, since we can change people's environments, and not the traits innate to them.

One of the attitudes that has fostered a need for the death penalty is that of 'you can't break an omlette without breaking a few eggs'

People aren't eggs. Decent people don't deserve to be murdered by anyone, most especially the state which they loyally served.

Archived