Home

There Is Not Going To Be A Jedi Knight 3!

Monkey Mania

1. Jedi Outcast means that Kyle, the Jedi, is an outcast, it's not a rank.

2. They will probably make an expansion, and another game. They're making too much money off it to drop it yet. Wouldn't be for a few years though.

3. Doom III's bump-mapping really pisses me off. The textures have to be made in 3D, all this height map crap. All that is HARDLY needed for good bump-mapping. All you need is a grayscale heightmap of the texture, you could adjust contrast to change how the bump-maps look in game (the depth). id always always makes things way more difficult than necessary...

Why would it be Dark Forces 4? There was no dark forces 3! People call this game Dark Forces 3 but no where on the box, on raven's site, on LEC, no where but on fan pages is it referred to DF3.

As for the story line. Granted the first three have been about Kyle Katarn, but why should the next one be about him? Why not a story about Luke or one of his other Jedi? There are other enemies in the SW Universe now that storylines can be drawn from. LEC's survey pretty much pointed out that it wouldn't be about Katarn with the questions about whether or not his story has run it's course, who would we like to see stories about, etc.

Plus you're all getting way ahead of yourselves. The next one more than likely won't be on the DOOM III engine either. It took them 5 years from the time of DF2: Jedi Knight till JK2: Jedi Outcast came out. Aside of an expansion, next year sometime, maybe, it'll more than likely be 3-5 more years before another is made. By then there'll be another better newer faster etc etc Engine out. John Carmack, the Doom genius, said at E3 that he already wants to start on the next big gaming engine. Hence why Doom III is essentially Doom with a graphics engine on horse steroids. Doom III will have limited standard MP functions and is the exact same story as the first Doom. It doesn't even have a USE key. He made it just to show off the engine to sell the engine to developers who are into more dynamic games. Ontop of that the Unreal2 engine is supposed to be just as stunning if not more so then the Doom III engine, although with Dooms demo at E3 it was odd how Unreal2 got pushed back, perhaps to re-engineer alot of it.

Anyways, all this talk about JK3 is all wishfull thinking, and atleast 3 to 5 years off in the future.

truth be told, i think i kinda liked the jk1 engine hehe. i wonder if lucas arts could make JK3 themselves, with a custom built engine, which would allow for big environments again. i know it would probably take a while, err accually, was jk1 based on another engine or was it made from scratch?

If that were so why would LEC include two questions in their survey that pointed to another character for the next installment? They asked if we thought another Kyle Katarn story should be told. They asked if there were another character we'd like to see. Saying that it has to be about Kyle isn't a fact. Mysteries of the Sith really wasn't about Kyle, half the game you play as Mara Jade.

Eh, I don't think they'll continue this game in any form. They'll probably try to run with KotOR and SW:G... I'm sure they'll make some serious dough off that.... Then who knows, maybe a few years down the line, they'll make another FPS style Jedi game, but it won't be Jedi Outcast or anything of the sort.

Would you like to disclose any of that information? I suspect you don't actually have any :D

I would like Kyle to have died in this one, the title "outcast" obviously means he had to redeem himself in some way or another, and i was hoping he would redeem himself by saving Jan and he bit the bullet in the process. That way we could have finished with Kyle, who in my opinion is getting a bit boring now and open the way for a brand new story..

-W

Archived