Home

Gun Control?

TheWhiteRaider

Originally posted by JM Qui-Gon Jinn

Hunting is lame, you simply snipe a defenseless animal? How cowardly is that? If they had fought the animals with their bare hands, then I would have a little respect for them.

I, myself, hunt very little these days. Many of the "great-white" hunters are in fact lame.... looking for "trophy kills" and the glory that comes with it.

However, hunting as a means of providing food is still a very important part of many cultures in the United States. There are those who do so with honor. The animal is completely consumed or used, and the hunter is thankful. There are those who hunt that hold great respect and thanks for the animal that was hunted.

But, yeah.... the boneheads that come from the city, rent an SUV, head for the sticks, kill a deer and leave everything laying on the ground except the antlers and the best part of venison are lame.

Originally posted by JM Qui-Gon Jinn

And watch your words, or I will report you.

Oh... Ep2 Anakin, that type of language isn't tolerated in the swamp. You should apologize. Unless you are just some little kid using dad's 'puter, I'm sure you will. ;)

SkinWalker

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firstly, cool off a bit, and the discussion will stay open... :D

and Secondly, the people who buy all kinds of stuff and simply shoot animals and leave them are usually rich people from large cities. They would be able to get around laws anyway, since money rules. Everyone i know who hunts either eats the meat themselves, or gives it to other people who defently need it.

why should i apologize for retaliating against him attacking one of my life preferences, i hunt, and i do it for food, not to get a trophy, all of my friends hunt, they do it for food, have you ever had home made jerky? it's a helluva lot better than the store bought stuff, i can tell you that right now, i don't know anyone who does it just to get the biggest antlers of the season, they do it because it's an annual ritual and they love it, it's a way to escape school, work, and people in general. have you ever seen a dog attack someone? i have, and to tell you the truth i'd rather kill the dog than be killed, because people don't like to take care of their animals out here, they get it then let it starve, so it has to go for alternate food sources, say the skunk that died of rabies? so the dog has rabies, and cats can get it too, and skunks can get rabies, so put that with humans and they pose a threat now don't they? i think so, so does everyone in this country i hope. the first graders i live by know more about guns than probably most any regular person in the big cities, no matter what age, why does age matter? if a person is mature enough then why not let them have more freedom than say, the kids in the big cities who shoot each other over video games and **** like that, we don't shoot each other here, we fight with our bare hands, we don't need guns, that's why we "hillbillies" and "hicks" are more mature than people who live in cities, and tougher too. why are you sorry that guns are part of our lives? it doesn't effect you at all, and i don't apologize for something you think you should have, have you ever actually gone target shooting, and hit something? with a REAL gun? not somethin like a BB or pellet gun, bigger than a .22 even, and i'm not usin daddy's cpu, this is mine, bought with my own money so that's cleared up, i will not apologize, ban me, i don't care, it'll just prove that you can't voice you're actual opinion on here, i find what he said offensive, so i retaliated, and i only kill animals around my home in self-defense

EDIT: deer, elk, antelope, moose (especially), buffalo, coyotes, wolves, foxes, aren't completely harmless, have you ever seen the show's that show cityfolk-joe gettin within 5 feet of the damned thing and tryin to shoot, pet, take a picture, or just look at it? that's why we are also smarter, we don't say "ooh, look at the pretty horns on that 1500 lb. brown thing, i think i'll pet him even though i've never even seen one in my entire life and have no clue what it's capable of, i'm a human, all animals are lesser life-forms and are trained to be nice" sorry, doesn't work that way

Originally posted by ep2 Anakin

why should i apologize for retaliating against him attacking one of my life preferences,

Yes... but it was the profanity and vulgarity that was problematic. Not your preferences or his.

Originally posted by ep2 Anakin

and i'm not usin daddy's cpu, this is mine, bought with my own money so that's cleared up, i will not apologize, ban me, i don't care, it'll just prove that you can't voice you're actual opinion on here, i find what he said offensive, so i retaliated, and i only kill animals around my home in self-defense

I really could care less if you apologized or not. I just said, "you should." That indicates could ettiquete. I would rather not see you banned... I value your opinion. I'm sure others do as well, even if they disagree.

You have a point of view that many who post here couldn't, which could potentially give you a positive sounding board. Unfortunately, most readers will refuse to see past vindictive, insultive, profane, or vulgar language. Whether from you or anyone else.

I *do* like your points about teaching youth to respect and understand firearms. That is something that is definately missing in many of the kids who get ahold of guns today.

SkinWalker

I consider hunting lame because I see no real sport in sitting in a tree with a rifle and shooting a dear that you lured there with a scent or some funky call, then skinning it and putting the head on the wall, like you're proud of it. Whoopy, you sat in a tree and fired a gun. Whatever.

In any case, it's my opinion. You can insult me all you want, it wont change my opinion. All it will do is reinforce your already negative image and reputation. Feel free to try to argue the point with me, I'll welcome that. I'm always up for a debate. But telling me to "eat a d!c*" because I think an activity (wont cal it a sport) that you like is lame? That's just immature, and if it isnt showing your age (as you claim to be old enough to afford your own rig) then it's just not saying much for you.

fingerprint checking on EVERY gun? THAT'S lame and impossible

Well, it's not lame at all. It's pretty good. A crook couldnt steal your gun and use it on you or someone else. And it's not impossible, technology can do a lot these days, if we'd put some cash into R&D for it. Finally, fingerprinting isnt the only option. I'm not trying too hard to come up with the solutions, I'm just saying that one needs to be found.

little johnny finds daddy's beretta. why did daddy have it accessible to little johnny w/o telling him to NEVER touch it or daddy would do something drastic?

I dunno, daddy is probably pretty dumb. People should definitley be taught gun safety if they're going to own them. But that doesnt change the fact that little Johnnys life could be saved from daddys stupidity by a gun control policy. Is that bad? Nah.

that's why we are also smarter, we don't say "ooh, look at the pretty horns on that 1500 lb. brown thing, i think i'll pet him even though i've never even seen one in my entire life and have no clue what it's capable of, i'm a human, all animals are lesser life-forms and are trained to be nice" sorry, doesn't work that way

Erm.... I've never, ever met someone who would do that. It's just dumb. It's common sense to not want to go near something that size. If you met or saw someone do that, well, they're pretty stupid. But it's not me, and it's not any city person I know. So please dont apply it to us.

You need to stop taking everything you dont agree with as a personal attack. Try to grasp this concept here... "Not everyone agrees with me, and thats ok." You'll get in a lot less trouble...

For what its worth, I own a Japanese WW2 rifle (7.7, tough to get ammo for it), modified with a hunting stock. It's basically a cannon, they wont let me shoot it at indoor ranges for fear of it going through the wall and into the street. I have to take it down to a dumping ground in the middle of the woods nearby my house. I also intend to buy a handgun when I get a home. It'll be locked up under keypad (3 digit), and when my kid is 4 or 5, I'll just tell him "Look, any time you want to see my gun, just tell me and I'll get it out for you to look at it." Takes all the mystery out of it for them...

I went through and read your post in detail (note: USE PARAGRAPHS), since it was tougher to do without everything running together. Woof, my english teacher is spinnign in her grave.

i hunt, and i do it for food, not to get a trophy, all of my friends hunt, they do it for food, have you ever had home made jerky? it's a helluva lot better than the store bought stuff, i can tell you that right now,

I've had the "fresh, real" stuff too. I hate it. Tasted pretty nasty to me... oh, wait, I disagree with me, maybe I should go eat something else...

plus, we need to shoot all the bears, mountain lions, dogs, cats, skunks, snakes, all the animals that could pose a threat to human life, and we end up killing many animals every year,

I saw a cat the other day. I called the cops. Scary stuff. :rolleyes:

we don't shoot each other here, we fight with our bare hands, we don't need guns, that's why we "hillbillies" and "hicks" are more mature than people who live in cities,

:rofl: :rofl: I guess standards for maturity have really fallen... BTW, It sounds like you're comparing yourelf to the scum of the citys. That doesnt say much for you...

have you ever actually gone target shooting, and hit something? with a REAL gun?

See my above post. It's a real gun...

you love your japanese gun don't you?!?! that's my point, if they had gun control, they'd probably take all of them away just because they had the power to, and i'm saying, i love my guns too much to let them be taken away, i'm soo good with the british .303, and i've done LOTS of target practicing with it, reloading the bullets, cleaning it, and if it's all for nothing, then i'm pissed, and that's my point. it's good that you will keep your guns safe everyone needs to do that, that's what my dad does, he keeps them in a display case with a lock, and the ammo is in the garage, but we do have the .45 with a 7 shot clip fully loaded in a fire-proof cabinet, just in case something needed to be scared away real quick, and not all hunters sit in trees, some get around and walk ALL around the mountains, i know people who will walk 20-30 miles a day just to get something, and not all put the head up on the wall, my dad doesn't, the elk that he's killed were stripped of all meat possible, and he cut off the antlers on his first one, the others he probably gave away, becuase he doesn't care about that, i do know some people who are like "man his rack was huge, i wanted to shoot him so bad" but those are just my dumb**** classmates who drive around w/their p.o.s. bikes in the backs of their trucks just to show off. i mostly bird hunt (pheasant and grouse) and anyone who has before knows that you can't just sit and wait, you have to get a dog out there and make them a moving target, then you have to take the safety off, take aim, and fire before it gets out of range, they move fast too, and sometimes people don't get anything when they go hunting, but they spend time w/their family and friends away from town, work, and school. plus, if they put the firgerprint check on guns, there'd still be the millions that are already out right now, and if they try to take those away, it's a lost cause, because some people have guns that have special/sentimental value to them i.e. my dad's .303, BTW i'm 16 and am a lifeguard at our pool in town, i also get paid for my grades, so that means i get money, to buy my own things, like a computer for instance, or to buy people presents and stuff like that, go ahead and make fun of me for being 16 if you're gonna, i don't care, my life is fine, this stuff online is just when i have nothing better to do but argue with people about various things, but when anything about gun control, america in general, or the military comes up, i can go on and on

did the cat have rabies? start living in your garage? knocking stuff over on your vehicles? no? oh, since that happens out here i think i'll continue to shoot them, have you ever seen a mountain lion by your house? or a bear? no? oh well i have you beat on the number of animals in the wild, plus cats on the rez are a LOT different than cats in towns, i didn't think so before, but my bros cat went from a town in which he was acting like a real cat, to the rez in which he got all defensive about everything and started to be mean to everyone, back to a town and now he's starting to act like a regular house-hold cat, so there's a difference, and i'm not sayin cats are scary, but they're a nuiscance (sp?) because they keep giving birth to litters of 5-7 and there's so many out here and they get into everything so we keep the population down

Originally posted by ShockV1.89

Not really. It's spiffy to have, but I wont revolt against the gov't if I cant have it...

do you like to shoot it? is it fun? is it something to do in your offtime? well obviously not if you'd just say "oh well, they're gonna take it away" you're saying you wouldn't put up any fight at all, that's dumb, because when they see you saying "oh, it's the law, so i'll be a drone and obey w/o question" then they'll say "hmm, maybe we can put MORE restrictions on the people" and then it'd turn into a dictatorship

it's not like "oh a cat that just showed up all of a sudden, i don't like you *BLAM* bye" it's the constant noise and damage they do, one cat jumped on a cooler we had on a shelf and it fell down onto our car and broke the mirror, it was on a buick so i guess it was special, tinting heating and all that stuff, so it's expensive to replace, now since this cat had been around a while (kinda a pet) we decided to be nice and move it away, so it's not like "animals! yeah! *blam!**blam!**blam!*" we try other methods first, but if they don't work, then we have to resort to drastic measures, and y aren't you concerned about the rabid/mean dogs that are perfectly capable of killing the children around here? oh wait, they're dangerous, just like EVERY land animal on this earth, they always pose a potential threat to human life

Actually, to my knowledge, most land animals arent as big a threat as you make them out to be, as long as proper steps are taken. Like not going near a bear if you see one. I've enountered bears before (had one walk right past my tent). They've seen me, I saw them. They huffed and puffed, and I simply walked the other way. They stared, then didnt follow. We're not prey to most animals (mountain lions are a little different, but even then, they'll take something smaller over us). It's not like the first bear you see is gonna chase you down and eat you. Likewise, skunks dont run backwards at you, trying to spray you.

Most of the time, when animals attack people, it's because the person did something stupid. I dont want a stupid person having a gun. And there's a lot of stupid people out there.

As far as rabid animals goes, yeah, there's a reason to have a handgun. But do you need a giant rifle or shotgun to kill a rabid cat? No, a small beretta or colt would do fine...

Dogs, cats and skunks pose a threat to human life??

He was talking about wild ones. I live about 5-10 min. out of town. I have seen wolves, beers, ect. If you leave you cat out at night it has a low chance of living. And what do you want me to do if my friend gets attacked by a cougar? Call 911?

I could write a whole essay on why giving up "freedoms" is not always a bad idea,

You try telling that to a friend I know. He lived under Castro in Cuba.

Yes it could happen, but the chances are of it happening in the western world after all these years of trials and experience on this subject is near nil.

Oh and you beliveve in evolution? N/M

Government is like a guard dog. One that if let run loose it will try to kill as many people as it can, but if kept on a chain will protect you from enemies. Every time you lose a freedom it is like adding a link on to the chain. Too many links and the dog will get to you no matter how strong the chain is.

But, yeah.... the boneheads that come from the city, rent an SUV, head for the sticks, kill a deer and leave everything laying on the ground except the antlers and the best part of venison are lame

I think if you kill an animal you eat it. Other than that let it live unless it is a predator attacking someone. I think killing of an animal for sport is just cruel.

1st graders should never be able to get their hands on a gun.

They must be supervised.

Hey Ep2 Anakin....

I also wanted to give you an idea about why some of the folks that have posted here seem to be so shocked at how many guns your family has.

Many of them live overseas in countries that have always had (in this century at least) stiff restrictions on gun ownership. I was stationed in Germany for a few years and a friend I had there told me his father was a gun owner... he had to get special permission, permits, etc. and had stiff regulations about how to transport a rifle, etc.

Oh... this was for a rifle. In order to deerhunt, he was accompanied by a ForrestMeister that pointed out which deer he was allowed to kill from a stand. He fed his family and friends, though.

A couple of guys you were so defensive with cannot understand your point of view since they've never seen a gunrack in the window of a pick up or been out to someone's house for a bit of target shooting. When you say "reloading" to them, they're thinking "putting more bullets in the gun" not "putting bullets in the case after pouring x grains of powder, crimping the case, etc.":)

And don't worry... nobody will knock you for you age. You'd be surprised at the ages of the people who post here. That's one of the things I like about forums like the Swamp.... the only discrimination that can exist is in your opinion of what someone writes or how they write it.

Oh... WhiteRaider... maybe we shouldn't get him clued in on the other thread ;) Not just yet........

SkinWalker

Someone mentioned a biometric method of restricting handgun use... the fingerprint deal.

Does anyone know of actual research for this application? It doesn't seem to far fetched with today's technology.

What are some other methods that can foil unauthorized users (i.e. thieves, unsupervised children, etc.)?

I'm thinking that if I were to purchase a handgun for home protection, I'd want it close and easy to get to. (the news recently ran a story about a break-in where the homeowners were killed by the burglers in the D/FW area... makes me think.

What are ideas for reducing handgun possession among the criminal element on the streets? Someone mentioned increasing police forces.

I'm serious... if the gun violence problem isn't effectively addressed.... it'll reach a critical point in which gunowners will suffer great loss of freedoms. Could it be better to choose your level of freedom than give it up entirely?

SkinWalker

Could it be better to choose your level of freedom than give it up entirely?

Well, that's up to them. If the NRA wants to make a stink every time the gov't trys to keep ghetto kids in the city from being gunned down, then the freedom to have your own gun will dissapear. Maybe the people who are responsible with guns can show some empathy and understanding that just because they can handle their guns, there are a lot of dumb people out there who cant. And guns are dangerous, we have to make concessions for stupid people getting a hold of deadly weapons...

And ep2Anakin, I'm serious, throw some paragraphs into your posts. It's really tough to read them when they're one big blob.

Originally posted by TheWhiteRaider

You try telling that to a friend I know. He lived under Castro in Cuba.

Notice the "not always". I like to think of my country as a very free one: You can get away with showing and saying nearly anything (except racist remarks) and there are fair rights concerning homosexuals etc - I recently read that some states have gay sex outlawed.

We also support the freedom to choose abortion and I could walk safely on the streets anywhere I've been, even though police is nowhere in sight most of the time (I see one police car every two weeks, actually). But guns are a big no-no unless you have a very good reason to get one. I don't know why this is so, but so far I've seen no need for anyone to get a gun in this country, except for the law enforcers.

Oh and you beliveve in evolution? N/M

What has this with anything to do with evolution? :confused:

And please, I don't believe in evolution. Evolution isn't a belief - it's only the currently best way to describe how things work in regards to how we got here. If the evolutionary model wasn't invented, genetics and medicine wouldn't have gotten very far today.

And may I remind you in that context that the Church has so far only been trying it's best to hinder the scientific progress, never helping it.

Skin, I don't know what you meant with "clueing me in on the other thread" (if you referred to me btw), but I damn well will speak when someone starts to "mudden the waters".

Government is like a guard dog. One that if let run loose it will try to kill as many people as it can, but if kept on a chain will protect you from enemies. Every time you lose a freedom it is like adding a link on to the chain. Too many links and the dog will get to you no matter how strong the chain is.

There we go again: Americans feel the government is a threat to them somehow, even though they help them.

Laws are needed to ensure safety for everyone - if you want freedom, go make your own little anarchy and see how that turns out.

Ep2 Anakin: Your sentimental feelings for your guns doesn't justify anything. What matters is whether the government can sacrifice possessions in order to increase the public safety.

Heck, I could get emotionally attached to my Stinger missile system as well, but that wouldn't stop the gov't taking it away before someone got hurt, no?

If the wildlife is constantly threatening your family, move away. Humans have a nasty habit of justifying their destruction of nature in order to settle in that area. I realize it's impossible for people to move away like this - but it pains me when people feel the entire earth belongs to them, and then proceed to decimate their surroundings to give way to them. It's okay for a hunter to kill a deer, but if a shark kills a man, it's soon turned into an endangered species by self-centered humans. Pathetic.

Originally posted by Cjais

Skin, I don't know what you meant with "clueing me in on the other thread" (if you referred to me btw),

I was referring to Ep2 Anakin.... his tendency to get heated in this thread would definitly affect him in the "other" thread. ;)

SKin

i can't move away, we are required to live at this house, it is free because my dad is the principal of the indian high school on the wind river indian reservation, but we are required to live out here

so i CAN'T move away, and since we have the dangerous animals under control, then we're allright, what am i supposed to do if i see a 6 ft. mountain lion looking around my house at night, and there are little kids next door, just say "oh don't go outside, there's a mountain lion" and let it walk away? no, i'll get into a confrontation with it (where i'm safe and provoking it) until a family member can get a gun and i can say "bye" and blow it away because animal control won't get here fast enough, it's a proven fact cuz there have been many sightings and they've always just missed it, so instead of letting a neighbor kid get eaten (they've even shown up in ELEMENTARY school yards where the kids just say "kitty" and the teachers are like "what kitty?" *kid points up* "oh, THAT kitty") that's a true story, so if i'm not allowed to kill animals that will hurt humans, some of them who don't know better cuz they are LITTLE kids, then go to hell

Originally posted by acdcfanbill

We did, and it has been going strong for over 200 years now... :D

Are you referring to USA? It was in no way an anarchy when it was founded. Laws will always exist (whether written or unwritten) - Anarchy is an impossibility.

Archived