Home

Meaning of Life

Elessar-Eärfalas

I can see this turning into another Evolution vs Creationism thread.

I did not say that you believe lies. I said that everyone believes what they want to believe but the fact remains that religion stems from man wanting to understand why we are here and give our lives meaning. Religion is good for the human species, I did not once say otherwise. Do not put words into my mouth.

I also said that imo our only purpose is survival of the species. I didn't say that you have to believe me or go with my opinion.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by ZDawg

the truth is: If you convince yourself that life is pointless and meaningless... my friend, you will have a pointless and meaningless life.

Don't be silly. I believe there's no ultimate purpose to life, but I can still make my own purpose, no? If there's no ultimate purpose, then my purpose would right now be to have fun.

Cjais... you seem to be a very nice guys... but some times I feel like drop-kicking you right through my monitor.

I am a nice guy.

Even if you dont believe in heaven/hell, god/no-god, that doesnt meen you need to go around and try to crush the hopes of the people who do.

Do I "crush people's hopes"? No. I'm simply stating my opinion. If you get offended by that, then stop insulting me and take it like a Man.

(excuse me if that sounded like a flame)

It did sound like a flame, but I can take it.

I'm sorry, I haven't read all of the posts I stopped with DW

Originally posted by Dark Warrior

I get confused about life sometimes and am scared of there being nothing after death if this is true.

Are you afraid of the time before you conception? Death will be the same, you wont exist, you wont feel pain sadness nor any other emotion good or bad. There's no suffering involved!

I kind of believe the meaning of life is to live our lives to the fullest,

Good for you, what else can you do? Just don't buy into all that Carpe Diem crap, cause your actions still have consequences.

and trying to make the best out of a world filled with evil.

Be careful about seeing things as good or evil, if god doesn't exist neither does a universal moral. Don't use those terms, instead use the words "constructive" and "destructive".

Originally posted by lukeskywalker1

but still there has to be a meaning and there is no point if all we do is die! that makes no sense being alive and then dying. that would mean life is usless.

I disagree look at the big perspective, don't look at u as an individual but the human race as a collective. If we are good enough humans will never die out and our contribution (and our genes) will be apart of the world forever.

thats why i belaive in god but i also believe that people who deny him will basically go to hell, theres no nice way to say it. why would god let u live in heaven forever if u were unloyal to him, it makes sense that he will punish u.

What if u r wrong? What if u let all of your life go to waste and there is no God, You'd have lived a life of servitude. I'll take up the discussion on religion some other time, though.

I'm a Christian, I believe in God and I attempt to serve him with all that I have… If God punished me for every time I sinned I wouldn’t be here right now. The bible doesn’t say “I’m GOD! Love me or die!”… no, It says “It is Gods *Goodness* that leads man to repentance” (I’m not saying non-believers will go to heaven, I’m just saying show a little of what God has shown you… grace)

No he doesn't say believe in me or die, he says: believe in me or suffer for all eternity!!!! (Don't call this a flame, cause that is what it says)

I.E we are monkeys who "POOF" came from nothing, here we are yipppeeeeee

How is that negative? Besides that isn't what they are saying anyway. (I guess your referring to Darwinists)

Once again, lets save the religion-discussion for another thread.

"If you look at the world through a red piece of glass what color will everything be?" -Me... Talking to the same person.

It is impossible to say whether I'm looking through red glass or you're looking through green glass travelling through oz.

Originally posted by Scotchy

We are but a amall part of the eternal struggle to have order and balance in the universe. We are a different form of balancer and a quite complex one, but the overall goal is to balance all forces and flows in the cosmos. Every action has a reaction, and while soem thigns seem totally unbalanced, they are a counter for the greater balance being sought elsewhere in the universe.

Did you come to this on your own, or have you read something to inspire you, if so I would like to know what, I'd like to read some of it.

In all of this, if anyone was offended, I'm sorry, that was never my point, but religion is a delicate subject. Also sorry bout this long post.

This is turning ugly...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Anyways, I belive too that the actual purpose of life is reproducing and survival. However, other purposes are made by each single human.

About god, he is just as true as you make him yourself. For some of you, he may excist, but not for all, the excistense of god is a personal thing.

The bible doesn’t say “I’m GOD! Love me or die!”…

Actually, he does in the old testament...

Not ugly, just a little debate.;)

Anyways, the meaning of life has been confusing me for the past year and like leXX, I cannot come up with anything. To all of you that quoted my "scared to die" post I guess I said that kind of wrong. I find it strange that there may be nothing after death. Why would we be here. Like ZDawg said, it seems weird that we would just live, have sex, and die just like that and then there be nothing. Maybe this is the case but IMO it is very strange.

However, I do not believe in God at the moment. I used to, thinking he would protect me, answer all my prayers, and all that other stuff. But now that I have thought things over and bad things have happened in my life I have no idea what to believe anymore. Is there something after death? No one can answer that question if so, please say so, I'd be glad to read it.:)

Maybe there is a God, something behind the creation of this universe. Maybe we were put on the earth to find God in our lives, believe and go to heaven.

I have no clue, I debate with myself all the time on this topic.

:)

I don't think anyone in here can help you, religion and the like are personal and what appeals to me mightn't appeal to you. Keep thinking about it, cause it is an important subject, and when you reach a conclusion, I think we all wanted to hear about it.

Originally posted by JM Qui-Gon Jinn

This is turning ugly...

I know some of the stuff I wrote was a bit harsh and I'll remove the evil laugh. Sorry if anyone was offended

Originally posted by Pierre the Frog

I don't think anyone in here can help you, religion and the like are personal and what appeals to me mightn't appeal to you. Keep thinking about it, cause it is an important subject, and when you reach a conclusion, I think we all wanted to hear about it.

I know some of the stuff I wrote was a bit harsh and I'll remove the evil laugh. Sorry if anyone was offended

I wasn't offended. I know that it is personal and I appreciate your views. I just take it one step at a time. I'll be sure to tell you if I've made a conclusion. I doubt that I will have a conclusion though. Life is confusing....

Originally posted by WolfmanNCSU

Very sad to think we as in living creatures are so insignificant.... Almost like a big waste....

It's only perceived as a waste if you cannot grasp the concept of the universe just being there. No purpose, no waste, no sadness.

it doesnt matter what u like to heare its what will really happen.u cant say who will go to Heaven or Hell

Nope. You're right, no person can. Except the people that wrote the Bible. See the faulty logic?

I’m not saying non-believers will go to heaven, I’m just saying show a little of what God has shown you… grace)

God has not shown me anything. Why do you need some higher moral judgement looking over your shoulder and judging your every action? I find that notion silly, and more far-fetched than blue squirrels mind-controlling Bin Laden.

(I.E we are monkeys who "POOF" came from nothing, here we are yipppeeeeee)

What makes you think monkeys come from nothing?

what I was saying is if you look at life in a negative way your going to get a negative outcome on the way you live your life.

Why is it a negative way to look at your life when simply taking what you see and perceive and then go from there, and never beyond? That's not a negative way, nor positive. Stop judging things in good/evil/saved/ignorant of God.

If you look at the world through a red piece of glass what color will everything be?" -Me... Talking to the same person.

While good wisdom, what has this to do with anything? You are the one looking through a piece of glass, ignoring external references and evidence against the Genesis. I just view the world as it is to my senses, instead of trying to go further than that and colorblind myself.

I hope you're not going to drop-kick me from crushing your beliefs, Zdawg ;)

Originally posted by Cjais

Don't be silly. I believe there's no ultimate purpose to life, but I can still make my own purpose, no? If there's no ultimate purpose, then my purpose would right now be to have fun.

You believe there is no purpose... and that is what you have made your purpose. Your purpose is a life of no purpose, which is a purpose in its self.

I am a nice guy.

'course you are, your just confused... and you are convinced that your confusion is fact when rather, it is folly. but hey, you don’t believe what I say so you will no doubt dismiss that idea as one of my "religious beliefs"

Do I "crush people's hopes"? No.

as a matter o' fact you do. but by no means should you NOT state your opinion... just how you go about SAYING it.

It is impossible to say whether I'm looking through red glass or you're looking through green glass travelling through oz.
if your going to reply to what I said, give me a correct answer, not some lame way of side stepping it.

But now that I have thought things over and bad things have happened in my life I have no idea what to believe anymore.
Perhaps God allowed these things to happen so you may ask these questions? do you think no Christian has ever questioned if God is real? or why we are here? I tell you I have... many A time.

What makes you think monkeys come from nothing?
What makes you think they came from something?

Why is it a negative way to look at your life when simply taking what you see and perceive and then go from there, and nevery beyond? That's not a negative way, nor positive. Stop judging things in good/evil/saved/ignorant of God.
Stop judging everything I say as a religious view.

While good wisdom, what has this to do with anything? You are the one looking through a piece of glass, ignoring external references and evidence against the Genesis. I just view the world as it is to my senses, instead of trying to go further than that and colorblind myself.
You view the world as touch/feel/see/taste/science/fact

Explain things like an eye growing back into its socket and I just might listen to you.

I hope you're not going to drop-kick me from crushing your beliefs, Zdawg
You wish :p If I was crushed by all the insulting comments I've gotten from you I'd be 2 inches tall.

You believe there is no purpose... and that is what you have made your purpose. Your purpose is a life of no purpose, which is a purpose in its self.

No. A purpose of no purpose is a contradiction in terms. Check your dictionary.

'course you are, your just confused... and you are convinced that your confusion is fact when rather, it is folly.

:disaprove:

Back that up - and scrap the vague attempt of insulting me, as well.

as a matter o' fact you do. but by no means should you NOT state your opinion... just how you go about SAYING it.

Oh, so I'm supposed to say -"All your beliefs are right, the world works the way you want it to."

I wouldn't be getting my point across that way.

if your going to reply to what I said, give me a correct answer, not some lame way of side stepping it.

I suggest you do the same. Start with replying to his post. And mine too, while you're at it.

What makes you think they came from something?

Check the Evolution thread. Don't make me repeat myself.

Explain things like an eye growing back into its socket and I just might listen to you.

Right. I'm also going to explain how astronomers found out that everything started with the "Big Bang", right? And why not make me show you the Masters degree I have in biology while we're at it?

I can't explain it, but you can stop God-gapping, and realizing that you're using God as an excuse for currently unexplained "miracles". I don't doubt the eye grew back in its socket, since that is purely relying on your senses to tell you/me so. Using God as a pathetic explanation for this yet undiscovered part of our body's healing system is not relying on senses or fact at all.

You wish :p If I was crushed by all the insulting comments I've gotten from you I'd be 2 inches tall.

Point me to a post where I insulted you. And me saying your beliefs are false does not count as an insult.

Originally posted by Cjais

No. A purpose of no purpose is a contradiction in terms. Check your dictionary.

a purpose is a reason, a reason for somthing comming to be, and if your reason of comming to be is to say we have to purpose than you have just said the the purpose is no purpose, and that is a purpose.

:disaprove:

Back that up - and scrap the vague attempt of insulting me, as well.

eh? I wasnt attempting to insult you, if I did I'm very sorry.

Oh, so I'm supposed to say -"All your beliefs are right, the world works the way you want it to."

I wouldn't be getting my point across that way.

thats not what I said at all... gah, never mind.

I suggest you do the same. Start with replying to his post. And mine too, while you're at it.

what the heck? Thats what I just did.

Check the Evolution thread. Don't make me repeat myself.

Dont make me repeat my self! If you checked the thread you would realize that I do not take any of the things you guys say as FACT or even Truth. to me it is as it is to you: just the other guys opinion.

Right. I'm also going to explain how astronomers found out that everything started with the "Big Bang", right? And why not make me show you the Masters degree I have in biology while we're at it?

Right. You want me to try and explain how the Big Bang did not happen? oooh wait... I cant explain that :rolleyes:

I can't explain it, but you can stop God-gapping, and realizing that you're using God as an excuse for currently unexplained "miracles".

stop dismising the Idea of a high power just because you dont want to believe there is one.

Point me to a post where I insulted you. And me saying your beliefs are false does not count as an insult.

oh but they do, to take away a mans belief is to take away the air he breaths. to insult a mans beliefe is one of the greatest insults of all, and you know it.

a purpose is a reason, a reason for somthing comming to be, and if your reason of comming to be is to say we have to purpose than you have just said the the purpose is no purpose, and that is a purpose.

No again. If I believe there's no purpose to anything, then it isn't my purpose to believe that, because I have no purpose - I can believe whatever I want. You could say that it's my philosophy (or way of thinking), but don't call it my "purpose" and contradict things.

Dont make me repeat my self! If you checked the thread you would realize that I do not take any of the things you guys say as FACT or even Truth. to me it is as it is to you: just the other guys opinion.

I checked the thread - you are God-gapping and ignoring a lot of what science has revealed. Why? I am not preaching you the truth, only the cold, hard facts.

Right. You want me to try and explain how the Big Bang did not happen? oooh wait... I cant explain that :rolleyes:

Stick to the subject. What you're saying there is the same as you requiring me to explain why God is here, or even give positive proof of his non-existance. That wasn't related to anything I said.

I was saying that I of course can't explain it - it takes years of understanding to do that. But only a moment's thought to accept God is real.

stop dismising the Idea of a high power just because you dont want to believe there is one.

It's not that I don't want to believe, I frankly just try not to believe anything. I just look at the world. I can't see any God, unless I believe the people who wrote the Bible were right. And why should I believe them?

oh but they do, to take away a mans belief is to take away the air he breaths. to insult a mans beliefe is one of the greatest insults of all, and you know it.

No. If I believe Russia is going to become an economic superpower within the next 10 years, and you're saying it won't (even picking the idea apart with sound logic) - then even though my beliefs are proved false, I'm not hurt. I shouldn't be, at least.

Originally posted by Darklighter

I don't know whether any of you from the UK saw 'Jonathan Ross Tonight' when he interviewed Richard Attenborough (famous animalist and nature show presenter). The presenter asked this guy what the purpose of us living was, and he replied...

;)

lol richard attenborough? he's in jurassic park!!!

do you mean his brother "DAVID" Attenborough?

hehe easy mistake to make.

I dont think there is such a thing as MEANING OF LIFE.

People are running after the wrong thing, people should instead look and try to LIVE and FEEL alive. Enjoy every moment. The ups and downs, the romance, the heart break. Its all part of life. When someone tries to find the meaning of life so much time is wasted from that person's life.

Life is ment to be full of emotions. A culture which surpresses emotions and exitement is a culture of programmed people are zombies who are told what to do and have general goals.

My personnal goal in life is doing what i love, going to college to achieve that and from there on see what my destiny leeds me. I'm proud to say I've found a balance in my life. I have a LOT of friends. go out allmost every chance i get. However I study hard and get great grades. I've had a few romances and heart brakes. But my last romance out weights the pain i had at our break up. I loved that girl and she loved me. I enjoyed every moment with her. I regret nothing, not even our break up.

I guess that if it was ment to be between us, then we'll meet up again later in life and fall for each other again.

yeah I'm rambling again :p

No again. If I believe there's no purpose to anything, then it isn't my purpose to believe that, because I have no purpose - I can believe whatever I want. You could say that it's my philosophy (or way of thinking), but don't call it my "purpose" and contradict things.

have you ever heard the old quote "do be undecided is to be decided"?

I checked the thread - you are God-gapping and ignoring a lot of what science has revealed. Why? I am not preaching you the truth, only the cold, hard facts.

FACTS!? FACTS?! who determines FACTS!? a hole lot of opinions? peoples science? you take to be the blantant truth. Ignoring a lot of what science has revealed?! you ignore the things it cannot reveal and you just say its some "undiscoverd" thing.

I was saying that I of course can't explain it - it takes years of understanding to do that. But only a moment's thought to accept God is real.

That Is a LIE! it takes many years to understand )1 who god is .)2 where he came from and what he is.

unless I believe the people who wrote the Bible were right. And why should I believe them?

Why should I believe some scientist who thinks he knows all the answers?

No. If I believe Russia is going to become an economic superpower within the next 10 years, and you're saying it won't (even picking the idea apart with sound logic) - then even though my beliefs are proved false, I'm not hurt. I shouldn't be, at least.

Do not be ignorant, you know for a fact that dragging down somones belief is an insult, and a BIG one at that.

So your just contradicting what he is saying,not what he is meaning? Man that's desparate...

FACTS!? FACTS?! who determines FACTS!? a hole lot of opinions? peoples science? you take to be the blantant truth. Ignoring a lot of what science has revealed?! you ignore the things it cannot reveal and you just say its some "undiscoverd" thing.

GOD? GOD???? WHO DETERMINES A GOD?

That Is a LIE! it takes many years to understand )1 who god is .)2 where he came from and what he is.

Yet,aparently, it took ony about 30-100 years for the people who wrote the bible to do that...*cough*

Why should I believe someone who thinks a book has all the answers?

Do not be ignorant, you know for a fact that dragging down somones belief is an insult, and a BIG one at that.

Yeah it is. Then again, aparently you never followed "Sticks and stones may break my bones,but words will never hurt me."

Originally posted by Tyrion

So your just contradicting what he is saying,not what he is meaning? Man that's desparate...

I dont think you understood what I'm saying.

GOD? GOD???? WHO DETERMINES A GOD?

I do, You do.

Yet,aparently, it took ony about 30-100 years for the people who wrote the bible to do that...*cough*

Hate to break it to you but the bible is more like 5,000 - 6,000 years old, and was writen in that time frame... 5K-6K years.

Why should I believe someone who thinks a book has all the answers?

For the same reason you would believe a scientist, its what you want.

Yeah it is. Then again, aparently you never followed "Sticks and stones may break my bones,but words will never hurt me."

"Sticks and Stones may break my bones, BUT Words can kill me."

I dont think you understood what I'm saying.

Then please,clearify it.

I do, You do.

Just like facts.

Hate to break it to you but the bible is more like 5,000 - 6,000 years old, and was writen in that time frame... 5K-6K years.

That doesnt matter,really. The people who made it were only there for 30-100 years,correct?

Er..just realized whatcha meant. Also, the bible couldnt have been writen 5-6k ago, if Jesus was only born 2000 or so years ago...

For the same reason you would believe a scientist, its what you want.

So,in other words,you just answered your own question,in which none is right or wrong?

"Sticks and Stones may break my bones, BUT Words can kill me."

Gee,I havent heard of any genocides with words as the cause of death lately..

I have now. But it doesn't apply to "purpose of non-purpose". It's the same as saying my purpose is God. You can't say that. You can say my purpose is to fulfill God's wishes. A purpose means a reason for being here, or some higher goal in life, something to strive towards. I have no purpose, so no matter how hard you try, it will never be my purpose to not have a purpose.

Facts are what can be measured. You can't measure God no matter how hard you try, so he is completely irrelevant, though he may exist. I don't take science to be the truth.

I don't ignore things it cannot reveal, I just don't care about them. To understand them would mean to create my own little fantasy world with God's reality explaining all currently unexplained things - I refuse to subject to that sort of fantasy world, and instead seek a natural explanation for why that eye grew back.

it takes many years to understand )1 who god is

A 5 year old child knows as much about God and is just as believing as a monk who has "studied" God for many years. They have both created their beliefs, they're equally right.

)2 where he came from

Now that is interesting. So, where did he come from?

Because science tends to work, and explain how things behave. Why shouldn't you believe that your TV is pure magic? Science can only explain "how", religion should stick with "why".

It isn't. As I said before, if one's beliefs are proved significantly false by good, rational thinking, it's time to change them, not stand insulted.

If it makes you sleep at night, if it makes you feel loved, if it makes you feel significant, I'll let you keep your beliefs. Oh, they're wrong, but I'll let you keep them.

a world filled with evil.

"You will find that many of the truths we cling to depend entirely on our own point of veiw." - Obi-wan-Kenobi.

"Evil" depends on your outlook. Today we would most certainly find it evil to burn people at the stake, but at the height of The Holy Inquisition's power it was a means of saving their souls, and therefore a good act. BTW: The Inquisition was never decommissioned, it just changed its name. It's called the Congregation of Faith now.

My meaning of life AT THE MOMENT is taking good care of my wife, finishing my studies and doing my very best at work.

But then you accept that there is no meaning to life, because those meanings that you mention are all the meanings, or purposes, of individual actions.

My own stand on this? Anyone who has ever gazed at the night sky and pondered the utter insignificance of Humanity (even the entire Solar System) will know what I feel about this: Nothing matters if you are far enough away.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because science tends to work, and explain how things behave.

It is common knowledge that science does not claim to be right, it only claims not to be significantly wrong.

@LeXX: Nice AV.

Humans are the only animals to have the consciousness to make a "meaning" out of their lives. All other animals act on instinct.

False. They may not have consiousness, but most higher animals certainly learn, which means that they don't act entirely on instinct.

its not the meaning of this life but what happens after ur dead, if u believe in Heaven and Hell. for right now im making sure i get to where i want to go.

As some heathen Dane said once: I belive in life before death.

the truth is: If you convince yourself that life is pointless and meaningless... my friend, you will have a pointless and meaningless life.

and vise versa.

Sure as sure. But that doesn't mean that your actions are pointless and meaningless. Only that in the big picture nothing matters.

"The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,

but I have promises to keep,

and miles to go before I sleep,

and miles to go before I sleep."

Don't remember who wrote that, but I think that it says it all.

Even if you dont believe in heaven/hell, god/no-god, that doesnt meen you need to go around and try to crush the hopes of the people who do.

I can name a few good reasons: The KKK, The Holy Inquisition, the Crusades, the burning of the Great Library of Alexandria, the Israeli civil war, Northern Ireland, the persecution of the early scientists, creationism, ect.

that makes no sense being alive and then dying.

Makes perfect sense. It is a well described biological mechanism. And the part about dying may well be negated in a few generations.

If you ask me, the part that doesn't make sense is the Bible, God, ect. Why, for example would God require loyalty, yet not show itself? Why would an omnipotent being even care if we puny humans are loyal to it or not?

I’m not saying non-believers will go to heaven, I’m just saying show a little of what God has shown you… grace

God has shown me nothing. His self-proclaimed servants, on the other hand...

When I said The meaning of life is what ever you chose for it to be." what I was saying is if you look at life in a negative way (I.E we are monkeys who "POOF" came from nothing, here we are yipppeeeeee) your going to get a negative outcome on the way you live your life.

Only the blatantly stupid or uneducated would claim that man is a monkey. We are apes. And no person who wants to be taken seriously claims that monkeys (or humans) just appeared on the face of the planet. We EVOLVED. But that is kinda of-topic.

And not beliving in some imaginary boogey-man (God) doesn't make you unhappy. If that was remotely correct I should have committed suicide a long time ago.

Being unable to accept your own insignificance, on the other hand, might make you unhappy. I would not know, I have never tried.

"If you look at the world through a red piece of glass what color will everything be?" -Me... Talking to the same person.

Another well-described physical phenomenon, you would see things as being red. Well, better red than dead. Seriously, though, you make that same mistake, though you may not realise it. The strength of science is that it realises that it sees a limited part of the world, and works from that basis.

However, I personally have a strong faith, and believe in a soul and a higher divinity. I believe in a purpose and freewill of all life.

If you belive in the free will of humans and an omnipotent God, you run into a paradox. Well, I suppose that there is nothing that Doublethink can't handle.

Our only 'purpose' is reproduction and good health. It is all about survival of the species. There is no other meaning apart from that imo.

But that is not a purpose, merely a biological imperative.

Very sad to think we as in living creatures are so insignificant.... Almost like a big waste....

Nature is cruel. It doesn't care if a million life forms die. In fact it wouldn't care if the entire terran biosphere was destroyed. From the perspective of eternity we kine are merely a comma in history.

Archived