Is Guybrush a Kid?

Is Guybrush a Kid?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Is Guybrush a Kid?

• Yes
    • No
    • I dunno/don't care
    • The ending is supposed to leave you hanging

Actually, I am gonna change my mind about whether or not Guybrush is a kid. I really don't know! I now entirely agree with the people who believe that it was left open for you to think about, because it's a question based completely on your opinion. There is no right or wrong answer because all of the ideas or thoughts will knock each other out if you make any ideas.

I think that the question "Is Guybrush a Kid" is exactly like asking a group of people whether or not cheerleading is a sport. It is completely based on opinion and the ideas will not work.

However, there is a technical aspect to the question where you can say that, "Well, since this happened and it is possible, then technically, Guybrush is/is not a kid." Same thing with the cheerleading one. "Since the definition of sport is recreational activity or pastime, etc., then technically cheerleading is a sport by definition."

For these reasons, THE ENDING IS MEANT TO LEAVE YOU HANGING AND LET YOU THINK, AND THERE IS NO ANSWER TO WHETHER OR NOT HE IS A KID!

Ta-da!:D

The FACT is that they left MI2 completely open to be taken as the person playing it chose to.

I'm not saying this because I can't face the idea that Guybrush is really a kid (although it did sadden me when I first played it over a decade ago!) but because it's completely undeniable!

The stuff in Quezone's article cannot be considered the complete truth when, after the game has finished, we cut back to Elaine Marley on Dinky Island -- ON HER OWN. This isn't Guybrush's fantasy anymore... because he isn't there! Also the same can also be said when "Chuckie" goes all "voodoo" BEHIND Guybrush's back! Again, NOT part of a child's fantasy... because he didn't see it!

Does this mean that MI2 WAS completely REAL after all? Well, I personally think you'd be ignorant to disregard the weath of evidence in Queztones's article to the contrary... So where does that leave us?

Quite simply: Whereever the hell you want to be! They left it OPEN for us to decide!

The game indicates it's REAL and FANTASY at the SAME TIME!

That can't be changed by anyone. MI2 came out in 1991, it has been set in stone since then and no amount of debating is going to change it.

Believe what you want to believe, no-one can PROVE it otherwise because it isn't supposed to be PROVABLE.

~ Johnny

everyone has different opinions on the matter, some think he's a kid, some think he isn't, some would like to think he isn't and so on. so i'm just going to say, we don't know, and we won't know until we have some hard proof from the writers (either ron or others working on somi and lcr, and a simple website with text on won't do, it may be made up)

so we don't know, chances are, we were never meant to know, but i think CMI pleased a lot of people (whilst still leaving a huge plot hole) when they shopwed guybrush as a real pirate, but we can't go on that. what we can learn from CMI is that the writers of that tried to please a lot of people in saying he isn't a kid, so we really have no idea.

• 4 weeks later...

xa4-

1) just because someone says something doesn't mean it's true, if i said i was 21, that would be a lie

2) that marriage could be a part of the supposed "dream" that's happening

anywho- it's supposed to leave you hanging. actually, if ron gilbert had done mi3, it really wouldn't be meant to leave you hanging, but that's not what happened, is it?

anywho- it leaves you hanging

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna say, you diside the ending. It makes perfect sence from my angle. If your like me, you've always wanted a perfect ending. Your ending. Even with games that had multiple endings, most of the time it never turns out your way. That's what Ron and the crew thought. So they gave you a game to make your own ending. You just have to realize that the game doesn't own you, you own it, if you know what I mean. Just look at it this way: You get what you pay for. You paid for it with your own money, and got your own ending.

I think the ending was supposed to keep you hanging, and that it would all be explained in the 3rd game. Sadly, Ron left before it could even be started...

I think CMI does a fairly good job of explaining it, though (the CotD was a curse put on Guybrush by LeChuck so that LeChuck could chase Elaine without Guybrush interfering).

And Sam, this is, ooh, the 5th time I've told you about double posting. If you want to add something and no-one had replied since your post, just edit it.

MI1 was not made with the kid thing in mind, it was all what it looks like. The kid thing was the back story to MI2 more than MI1 I think they came up with the Guybrush is a kid dreaming idea while making MI2. SO, they included it in the ending, and through scenes in the game like the mommy and daddy skelaton, and the onderground tunneld, and hight tech stuff behind the scenes, likt the waterfall you can turn off and go into the high tech tunnel behind it. The makers of MI3 thought it was stupid, so they dropped the kid thing and came up with the idea that he was under a curse or spell, and that the MI Carrabean was just a weird place where you can find things like grog mashines and radar guided cannons. And MI4 was a whole new story, with no kid theory applying.

• 1 month later...

replying to stormy2021, thay actually did have the kid theory in mind for MI1. The Secret of Monkey Island was altogether meant to be one game where the secret was that guybrush was a kid in an amusement park. this proved to big a story for that time so they made two games (the started production on MI2 the day MI1 went out on shelves because they wanted to finish it no matter how the audience reacted to it). but out of all of it, Ron had decided that guybrush should be a kid.

background to this would be when Ron Gilbert went to Disney World and rode on the Pirates of teh Caribbean ride and thought to himself 'i wonder what it would be like if i could stop the ride and wander about this pirate world' and thats where monkey island was born.

good hard fact 9which i now except for those of you who have seen my earlier posts on the subject)

well the more i think about it, the more it makes sense that GB is a kid. im not sure if i like it touh. hehe. cause its more fun to think that all the "clues" like the grogg machine and the "staff only" and the others just were bizzare. the "LeChuck curse" dont really seem that realistic, just a simple way to get on with the show.

right...

i can't believe this was actually resurrected. not like i'm trying to say that my threads suck... actually, most of them do. well, whatever.

the ending is meant to make you believe whatever you want to. i just hate how people say "yes, he is a kid. those clues must point to him being a kid." it just takes the fun out of mi. but, i guess then that means that this thread is inadvertently taking the fun out of mi. :confused:

the "LeChuck curse" dont really seem that realistic, just a simple way to get on with the show.

what? maybe it's the wording thats confusing me, cause i have absolutely no clue what on earth you're talking about.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived