Home

Did You Know???

leXX

Post your interesting and funny facts. Please do not post fiction, only post it if you are sure it is a fact! ;) I'll start the ball rolling...

1. Barbie's full name is Barbara Milicent Roberts.

2. It is impossible to lick your elbow.

3. A crocodile can't stick its tongue out.

4. A shrimp's heart is in their head.

5. People say "Bless you" when you sneeze because when you sneeze, you're heart stops for a mili-second.

6. In a study of 200,000 ostriches over a period of 80 years, no one reported a single case where an ostrich buried its head in the sand (or attempted to do so).

7. It is physically impossible for pigs to look up into the sky.

8. A pregnant goldfish is called a twit.

9. Between 1937 and 1945 Heinz produced a version of Alphabetti Spaghetti especially for the German market that consisted solely of little pasta swastikas.

10. By law, every child in Belgium must take harmonica lessons at Primary school.

11. On average, a human being will have sex more than 3,000 times and spend two weeks kissing in their lifetime.

12. More than 50% of the people in the world have never made or received a telephone call.

13. Rats and horses can't vomit.

14. The "sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick" is said to be the toughest tongue twister in the English language.

15. If you sneeze too hard, you can fracture a rib. If you try to suppress a sneeze, you can rupture a blood vessel in your head or neck and die. If you keep your eyes open by force, they will pop out.

16. Rats multiply so quickly that in 18 months, two rats could have over million descendants.

17. Wearing headphones for just an hour will increase the bacteria in your ear by 700 times.

18. If the government has no knowledge of aliens, then why does Title 14, Section 1211 of the Code of Federal Regulations, implemented on July 16, 1969, make it illegal for U.S. citizens to have any contact with extraterrestrials or their vehicles?

19. In every episode of Seinfeld there is a Superman somewhere.

20. The cigarette lighter was invented before the match.

21. Thirty-five percent of the people who use personal ads for dating are already married.

22. A duck's quack doesn't echo anywhere, and no one knows why.

23. 23% of all photocopier faults worldwide are caused by people sitting on them and photocopying their buttocks.

24. In the course of an average lifetime you will, while sleeping, eat 70 assorted insects and 10 spiders.

25. Most lipstick contains fish scales.

26. Cat's urine glows under a black light.

27. Like fingerprints, everyone's tongue print is different.

Now, how many of you tried to lick your elbow ???

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Number 26.... just what is a "black light"? LOL

The part about sneezing I doubt, though. I heard it was because people were afraid your "soul" would fly out through your nose when you sneezed. It's been said for a looong time, and I doubt that people knew their heart stopped for a millisecond ;)

Not trying to be pedantic here - C'jais

a blacklight is one of those ultraviolet lights that make things look like they are glowing ... it shines a dark blue/violet color.

FACT:

other than human beings, whales are the only mammal (or animal for that matter) that will have sexual intercourse for pleasure as well as for reproduction purposes.

the duck quack echo is an internet myth im afraid

some monkeys have sex for pleasure

i believe ur heart stops for a millisecond all the time ... between beats! it must be at least a millisecond if not alot more ... like ..... nearly a second!

the eyes pop out is true

a "blacklight" is a UV light cjais

and i cant think of ne facts

i know nothing ... i learn english from a book :)

i got a whole huge book full of facts ... might dig it out an amaze and astound u all :D

Facts:

Big Ben was slowed in 1945 by 5 minutes by a group of starlings that landed on the minute hand

The ideal american diet would kill a monkey in a short time

Dolphins sleep with an eye open (cos they trust no1)

Henry ford once tried to buy the eifel tower and have it shipped over

Originally posted by leXX

5. People say "Bless you" when you sneeze because when you sneeze, you're heart stops for a mili-second.

You know, sometimes my heart just stops. No joke, it scares me. It only stops for about 2 seconds and then it works. It's not when some one scares me, just anytime. Weird. I can't breathe when it happens. I try and take in a breath, and nothing happens. I think I have heart problems.:eek:

The us secretary of state (at the time) invited switzerland to send a flotilla of ships to the opening on the suez canal

eskimos use fridges to keep their food from freezing

The turks call a turkey an "american bird"

the sargasso sea has no shore ... it is surrounded by the atlantic

More people are killed by donkeys annually than are killed in plane crashes.

Right-handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people.

The human heart creates enough pressure to squirt blood 30ft.

A cockroach will live nine days without its head before it starves to death.

Uk vs Zanzibar war in 1896 .... lasted a total of 38 mins

Zebras have white stripes not black (how they figure this ill never know)

Saturn would float if u have a sea big enuff :)

The ash of burnt magnesium is heavier than the magnesium itself (ive seen this 1 proved)

There is only 1 lake in scotland

Originally posted by Skate Boy

I try and take in a breath, and nothing happens. I think I have heart problems.:eek:

Not breathing has nothing to do with your heart stopping, if I am to use my limited knowledge of the human body. Somebody correct me here.

About us lefties: Right-handed people generally live longer because the world is made to favor them. For example, during a car accident, left handed people have a tendency to swing to the left in an emergency, driving unto the wrong lane -whereas right handed people generally end up in the ditch. This is what causes the statistics to plummet - not lefties being unlucky or having a half-assed immune system.

The one about cockroaches is just gross :p

Excactly, C'Jais. Us lefties are just as smart and cool as right handers. They just don't make stuff for us. I wonder why there are more right handed people than left? It's not because of genes, my mom and dad are right handed. In fact(:D) no one in my family is left handed except for me.

If you are not taught to use one hand over the other then you will be whatever you feel comfortable with. I was taught to use my right hand growing up and I'm teaching my kids to use their right hand too. As you say, the world is geared more towards righthanders.

The 57 on Heinz ketchup bottle represents the number of varieties of pickles the company once had.

Your stomach has to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks, otherwise it will digest itself.

315 entries in Webster's 1996 Dictionary were misspelled.

On average, 12 newborns will be given to the wrong parents daily.

Originally posted by Skate Boy

It's not because of genes, my mom and dad are right handed. In fact(:D) no one in my family is left handed except for me.

It's probably a combination of genes and the environment in our early childhood (including the pregnancy).

Genes can lay dormant for several generations, make no mistake. I'm brown haired for instance, and both of my parents are dark-haired. I have bad eyesight, yet none of my parents suffer from that.

Genes pass down from generation to generation - sometimes when combined with another gene they manifest themselves. Sometimes they mutate.

Originally posted by C'jais

Not breathing has nothing to do with your heart stopping, if I am to use my limited knowledge of the human body. Somebody correct me here.

About us lefties: Right-handed people generally live longer because the world is made to favor them. For example, during a car accident, left handed people have a tendency to swing to the left in an emergency, driving unto the wrong lane -whereas right handed people generally end up in the ditch. This is what causes the statistics to plummet - not lefties being unlucky or having a half-assed immune system.

in the uk the lefties would end up in a ditch .... and aussie .... and a few other countries

Posted by C'jais

About us lefties: <snip>

You're left-handed too??! :eek:

That explains everything... :eyes8:

Right-handed people generally live longer because the world is made to favor them. For example, during a car accident, left handed people have a tendency to swing to the left in an emergency, driving unto the wrong lane -whereas right handed people generally end up in the ditch.
So does that mean I'm okay in the UK where we drive on the left, then? :D

And the one about the human heart being able to squirt blood 30 feet... :barf:

Back to the topic...

Coconuts kill more people in the world than sharks do. Approximately 150 people are killed each year by coconuts.

This worries me greatly :indif:

Archived