Home

Schoolgirl raped... what do you think

El Sitherino

from a news company

Substitute teacher jailed in classroom rape

01/31/2003

From DallasNews.com staff and wire reports

A Fort Worth substitute teacher accused of raping a 14-year-old girl in a classroom while students watched was being held Friday in the Mansfield jail on a $75,000 bail.

Franklin David Lawson, 21, was arrested on a sexual assault warrant Thursday at his home. Police say the incident took place at Horizons Alternative School last week, but was not reported until a boy in the class told his mother.

"Quite honestly, initially the details were such we were a little skeptical until we talked to all the parties involved,” said Fort Worth police Sgt. Dave Stamp, supervisor of the Crimes Against Children Unit. “Then skepticism turned into shock.”

Franklin David Lawson

Students told police that Mr. Lawson found two boys playing with a girl in a sexual manner and asked them if they were trying to have sex with her. He then told them he would show them how, Sgt. Stamp said. About seven students witnessed the rape but did nothing, he said.

The girl initially denied that an assault took place, but later acknowledged it, Stamp said. The other students’ accounts matched the girl’s, he said.

“They’re all very consistent, the terminology as well as the details of the offense,” the sergeant said.

Mr. Lawson was assigned as a substitute teacher at the school about a week ago. Mr. Lawson is no longer employed by the district, a spokeswoman said.

Mr. Franklin’s mother, Jessie Franklin Lindsey, said she would fight to prove her son’s innocence.

"I want him to know that we love him, that we're behind him, that we're praying with him. Because I know wherever he is, he's praying,” she said. “And that he has the support of his entire family, friends, church members, that we're behind him."

watch the video

here in texas you can get $500,000 dollar bail bond loan. i think he shouldnt get a bail what do you think.

The word of a few 14 year old students? Come now... let him out on bail and find some solid evidence. Semen samples, adult witnesses... not a group of 14 year old kids saying "I saw it!" How many teachers have been mothballed because a bunch of kids decided to get back at a teacher for failing them or being harsh in class?

I always look at this sort of situation with a bit of skepticism, although I agree it is a very unnerving thought. If he is guilty of this, I hope he gets the harshest crime. Specifically, send him to any prison. There is some honor among thieves, and child molesters dont usually survive long in the prison system.

Oh. I guess in that case he should be held.

This brings up an interesting point, though. Should he be held in a normal prison like any other suspect? Bear in mind, child molesters are usually targeted by other inmates for various forms of abuse. Whether or not he is deserving of it is yet to be determined. He might be killed before being convicted of it.

I'd say keep him in a separate yet secure prison until sentencing.

I think that that is sick and disturbing, and I really feel bad for the children at that school, I think that its also very strange that his mother would make such bold statements, I wouldn't encourage my children after something like that. Prison? Good idea, let a group of his peers judge him, he gets what he deserves. I guess he's a good person from his mother's veiw, but I seriously am revolted by this.

Originally posted by ShockV1.89

Oh. I guess in that case he should be held.

This brings up an interesting point, though. Should he be held in a normal prison like any other suspect? Bear in mind, child molesters are usually targeted by other inmates for various forms of abuse. Whether or not he is deserving of it is yet to be determined. He might be killed before being convicted of it.

I'd say keep him in a separate yet secure prison until sentencing.

I hope the child raper is ready for big fat gay Bubba :p

Originally posted by ShockV1.89

That's not justice. He hasnt been pronounced guilty yet. Remember innocent until proven guilty?

K, well After he's pronounced guilty (did he say video proof?) stick him in there. I don't really care, I just thought that the whole thing was disgusting, and that this guy has some major problems.

Originally posted by InsaneSith

they have enough evidence they found the missing security tape in his apartment. a few days ago. on the tape was him raping the girl.

Can you get a link on that? Because I just don't belive he is guilty. I mean, seven 14-year olds with disciplanary problems who report such a crime 5 days after is the only evidence, and none of the people that knows the suspect belives he would ever do something like that.

Thats very disturbing. The worst part is, that the children who watched and didnt do anything may be facing juvenile charges. Thats almost the most distubing part about this. Well, I think that the children who were watching, should have done something to prevent this happening.

Its very disturbing and I's rather not think about it.

-Clemme

More details, bitte.

What we have in the first post (didn't look at the vid) is a bunch of children reporting very similiar stories a relatively long time after the event.

It could be that those children had a grudge against that particular teacher.

The consistent stories could be induced, or prearranged (there are actually some really scary examples of the former from Scandinavia, where people have been sentenced for crimes that it was later found out that they could not physically have committed (ie: they couldn't possibly have been on the scene, ect).

Thing is that if you keep asking a child if someone did something to him/her, then he will confirm, even if it didn't happen. A test was made once, where a child was asked repetedly, with breaks inbetween, whether he had ever been caught in a mousetrap. Now his mother knew for a fact that he never had.

And in the beginning he denied that it had ever happened. But after having been asked three or so (I believe) times, he told the researchers that he had in fact been caught in a mousetrap. And after a while he could describe the whole, imagined, scene consistently.

It goes for adults too. Another test. Another place. A bunch of people who had been to Disneyland. They were shown a commercial for Disneyland where every Mickey Mouse-custumed entertainer was edited to have a Bugs Bunny custume.

And then, after seeing this, they were able to tell, without lying, that they had once been to Disneyland and shaked Bugs Bunny's hand. They most certainly hadn't (BB is a Warner Bro's character, and they are bagged, tagged, skinned, and hung above the gates as a warning if they try to enter Disneyland).

"The human mind is infinitely malleable." - Orwell

So, in short: Solid evidence to back up these witnesses.

Originally posted by Andy867

I agree with C'jais, guilty until proven innocent. All suspects are guilty, otherwise, they wouldn't be suspects now, would they??

No, not all suspects are guilty. They may be suspicious, which makes them suspects, but they don't have to have done anything. If a man is murdered right after getting a huge life insurance policy the wife if often a suspect, but she could be completely innocent. If he really did rape that girl (which is amazingly disgusting) Then he's guilty, but 14 year old students are not to be trusted methinks. There would have to be real evidence and it would be in the news if they found it wouldn't it?

That last part of my post ET was actually a quote from the fanfilm Troops, but it kind of has some truth behind it. But seriously now, The whole idea of innocent until proven guilty and guilty until proven inncocent is really happening at the same time. obviously we are led to believe they are guilty, but also innocent, which is why they are given a "fair trial."

I say wait and see what the court decides. We don't want justice by the media.

I really can't see how these 14 year olds could sit and watch. If that happened when I was 14, the teacher would be pressing charges on us. So to me, given that article, this doesn't really add up.

A swimming coach in my country was charged on child sex charges because three girls reported him to the police and the swimming coach was given a lot of crap by childrens rights activists and the media.

His friends and family did stand by his innocence though.

It turned out the girls made up the story about him molesting them because they didn't like him. Its sad, because in the six months, he aged so much and you wouldn't even recognise the way he looked before it all happened.

I would be very careful to be quick to judge.

Archived