Home

‘Portrait Of A Game As A Conveyance Of Imagination’

Smood

A video game is more than a simple compilation of moving images, more then a device with some routine purpose and basic entertainment value. A video game is a method of conveying a kaleidoscope of feelings, ideas and emotion with an immersive world. This virtual embrasure has the ability to persuade an individual to give up reality and to seek entrance into the game creator’s mind, much like literary art to witness a perspective that is otherwise difficult to understand. This ability to infiltrate and influence a player’s mind is accomplished through many avenues of strategic features, yielding different yet cumulative psychological effects drawing in the mind of the player.

Persuasion and envelopment of the player into the mind of the gamer is accomplished by means of advanced graphical and aural technology which immerses the player into the virtual world by physically stimulating his senses. Furthermore, the player is persuaded to become thoroughly engaged with the video game by way of a profound and masterful story either fictional, or non-fictional. A story which the player feels is believable, lucid, and so entrenching that it inspires the gamer to become part of it, effectively inducing a powerful desire within the gamer to substitute one reality for another. Finally, the gamer is persuaded to accept the game world and enter the creator’s mind by means of an extraordinary level of interactivity that the player experiences in the game world. The ability to respond to and directly influence the progression of a story, is an especially unique component of the medium of games and duly has an especially overwhelming influence on the gamer in persuading him to accept the world of the creator.

Games are crafted by the creativity of those who are able to portray a vision artfully with imagination, much like a director crafting a movie to tell a story. To deliver something to the mind of another, to communicate, in an interactive medium. The artists are then assisted in bringing their apparitions to life by those who are technically skilled and are able to create this medium in which mood, feeling and raw information may propagate. This combinational approach is what makes video games so moving and effectual, epic and incredible, persuasive and bona fide.

As with any device of imagination, the more realistic or comparable the device is to the real world, the greater the probability it will be accepted and be able to displace the real world in the players mind. As game technology advances both visual and aural precincts of reality expand infinitely. Graphically games are becoming beautifully life like, and at times frighteningly convincing, often requiring a mature seal of access to insure younger players are not adversely affected by the more malevolent of depictions. Although this creation, this ‘video game world’ may be fictional it remains graphically believable. Technically geometry, texturing and graphical structuring is what fashions visual similarities thereby compelling the gamer to accept the virtual world in place of the real world. Recent game programmers and artists are delivering even more of the real life subtleties that bring these worlds alive. Features such as rippling reflective realistic water, dynamically changing weather, smoke, dust and as with the real world, fully destructible environments. As with graphics, sound technology is advancing with “environmental sound” which creates a directional sense of activities in the game by physically routing different sounds on different physical output channels surrounding the gamer. With this type of auditory delivery there is an immediate relation made by the gamer to the sound of the real world. This further contributes to a mounting experience shrouding the player from the real world causing him to adopt this virtual creation.

I walk cautiously observing the fading horizon; the ground seems cold and unwelcoming. There is darkness looming like an overshadowing mass. The air seems to shift; I draw my sword and turn witnessing my horrific opponent.

“Morrowind” produced by Bethesda softworks is a prime example of what can be accomplished with graphics and sound as this masterpiece creates the atmosphere and mood of a believable world. From the rolling hills to the powerfully luminous sun, the game brings a sense of a believable fictional world. Like a movie the observer is inspired as situations change, battles begin, and the real world fades away.

Stimulating the mind, rather then just the senses is the next step of persuasion for game creation. This is best accomplished by delivering to the gamer a purpose, creating a mysterious yet palpable force that drive the gamer to play and loose sight of reality:

As I watch on a camera, my beloved priest father Vittorio is beaten by a portly hairless man and shoved into a car. My mentor, my guardian now being taken away, harmed. Enraged yet focused, I open my briefcase to ensure its contents, and proceed out of the church. The briefcase? Two .50 caliber desert eagles.

In the fairly recent release Hitman 2: Silent Assassin (IO interactive), the gamer accepts the role of a retired assassin codename forty seven seeking redemption for sins previously committed. The only person in the world who understands, supports, and guides you is an elderly priest. Father Vittorio accepts confessions of contract killing and slaughter of those evil and acts as a father to forty seven. One day he is taken away by thugs and the gamer is witness to this. As he is driven away you are forced to recommence a life which you thought you would never return to, a life of murder. The story motivates true anger for many gamers and with this powerful motivation instantly integrates the gamer into the game world with a clear purpose, to recover father Vittorio by any means necessary. With this impetus the player falls into the world dismissing events around him, dismissing the real world, focused on the task.

To accomplish climactic feats and to drive the story, interactivity is of paramount importance. This is the primary factor driving the uniqueness of the game medium. This is the key factor in capturing the user, giving him the ability to control the outcome of the game, of the story, of the experience. The key to immersion.

The sky is bright as I sail on the battlements of the U.S.S. gallant. I prop up my rifle awaiting a signal. Suddenly, furiously, an enemy fighter descends ominously from above. It passes unleashing bullets like a hailing storm, but does not meet its mark causing water to flutter up around the battleship. I man the gallant’s anti aircraft gun, shooting, I feel my heart shake. The craft takes on damage but does not yield. I leave the gun and man the jet, off to the skies to defend freedom.

Battlefield 1942 from EA games describes wartime affairs and many different historical battles through an incredible level of interactivity. Players are put head to head on either side of the war and are allowed to do almost anything. From sailing a dreadnought, to driving a tank, to operating as a world war engineer. The games many possibilities allow the user to select and choose a method of becoming engaged and treats the gamer to an experience which, much like war, is constantly changing. There are no backdrops or environment only components to the real time war. The gamer has access and the ability to affect anything, and conversely anything in the world may affect the gamer. This interactivity gives the player such a degree of involvement in the world that he will become a part of the environment. The interactivity thoroughly occupies the player’s mind and as a result he gradually looses sight of reality as he is drawn into the game creator’s domicile.

Video Games are often stereotyped for their ‘supposed’ ill effects on young children. They are shallowly respected for their true potential for being an artful medium, containing both a profound entertainment value as well as a brilliant ability to move an individual emotionally. Games are evolving and as their technology progresses, their stories become more prolific and their interactivity is enhanced and expanded, their ability to seduce the player in accepting the world and loose sight of reality will strengthen. Experience the experience, live the world, get in the game.

Thats it man! My parents think video games are crap but they're alot more. For me my favorite is flight like star wars rouge leader. I always got a new little move when I start. It also teaches abot programming (more like pursading you to learn about it)

The Thing - The steps echeo within the darkened hallway. On my left is a very well trained soilder, on my right a master in the medical field. Do I trust them? No but they are with me. I get near the door. The medic, a trusty compainion, show the true horror, the survival mode, He , or it... is hungry. I pick up my only weapon against the beast. So then the trigger is pulled. Like I said, Do I trust them? No.

I think this game lived up more to the movie. I had a paranioa feeling. Always whatching them.

DooM - You ever wanted to see a real hell hole? I have your answer. Down hear there are no miracles, hope, help, sanity. Even I am as evil as they are. But evil for good. The contorted worlds, prays, minds are all plenty down here. Doom is my future. Unless I do something.

THE BEST GAME EVER STILL MY FAVORITE. I beat all except the third one. DooM III is very scary. So scary you'll piss in your pants multiple times.

:D

WHOO HOO! FABULOUS, SMOOD!

You need to submit that for publication, so we can all get back at those anal-retentive, uptight congressmen who are always making a case against video games!

YES! GET REVENGE ON THEM! KILL THEM! KILL THEM ALL!

Erm... I mean... let's calmly show them the other side of the issue and present our argument in an orderly and dignified way...

Kill... :mad:

What about the new Matrix movies and game, both are tied. The Enter The Matrix games is a standalone game, but also offers part of the storyline that will exist in both of the new movies. That games can be something more than just something on a PC, but something that movie developers can use to tell the story which wouldn't transfer well to film, but is just as important.

How many movies will use this principle to give a more in depth backstory, to allow storylines to be advanced that would make a movie unwatchable, or too long for commercial success. Whilst the general movie goer wouldn't miss anything by not playing these games, it would provide opportunities to flesh out a backstory that helps explain things in more depth...

Give it 5 or so years, and most major movies and games will have this kind of tie in - allowing the movie to do what it does best, and the game to do what it does best, and provide the whole story over two mediums...

Archived