Home

WIP: New Yoda... Assistance Requested

KaiaSowapit

Great model, looks amazing. but... I'm the only one that see facial animations on MP, kyle, all defaults and suported ones does funny faces constantly (funny with low res) I'm think you need first person or sniper zoon to see them but yes, there are facial animations on MP. (not asking to add them, just clarifying(?)).

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KaiaSowapit- great, we can help, you already have three members off staff on here asking to help out :p

If you need some help email me again and we shall get you sorted with the staff so that we can help finish off Yoda with you :)

Anakin

Bart Skywalker - sorry, I'm not currently adopting the model for facial animation. I agree it would be very cool indeed, but I'm pushing the limit on polycount as is. Besides, correct me if I'm wrong, but none of the models in MP take advantage of facial animation anyhow (least none I have seen).

facial animation takes no more polys ( at least not much if it does ), and models do use facial animation in multi, its just that you only see from behind a model and never see it.

I need to make some alterations in the mesh to allow for facial animations, but I can't promise they'll be in the first release. (I still don't see any in MP - and I looked - maybe someone could tell me specifically what they did to get a facial anim to play?)

Psyk0Sith - any general tips on weighting? There's some concern that since Yoda's proportions don't exactly correspond to the standard humanoid mesh that there may be some deformation issues. Did you learn anything with Yarael Poof that may apply here?

Also, is anyone here friends with Dest or Tchouky? I'm somewhat obsessive about scaling and have a radical idea. If possible, I'd like to include with this model a "mini-mod" to insure it scales properly - one that works for those without mods as well as those with existing mods. I'm not a coder, so perhaps I'm asking the impossible. It would be nice however to see consistency across all servers on how this model scales. (And yes, for those of you wondering, I'd make him .66 meters in height as specified on the official Lucas website.)

Lastly, in regards to skinning and shading...

First, does anyone know of a site where I can learn more about shaders? I've retro-engineered a few, but it would be nice if I had some documentation.

Secondly, and more importantly, I need to get going on UV maps for ya inbredyokel - any requests, tips or suggestions in this area?

Thanks everyone!

P.S. Anakin - did Toonces drop off the planet? Any idea how he's coming along on Plo Koon? (Yoda needs a sparring partner! :))

Originally posted by KaiaSowapit

Psyk0Sith - any general tips on weighting? There's some concern that since Yoda's proportions don't exactly correspond to the standard humanoid mesh that there may be some deformation issues. Did you learn anything with Yarael Poof that may apply here?

Things i have learned from weird proportions: NEVER move any bones out of place.

The "closer" you mesh is to the bone, the better...it wont tear or do freaky things. As long as your mesh is well distributed along the bones joints (where two bones meet) you should be ok.

*When i say closer, it doesnt mean that it should touch the bone or anything like that...just make sure the bone is well centered within the mesh.*

Its a good idea to use Kyle's mesh for proportions. In your case the proportions will not be the same of course but it should help

Yarael's neck/head was pretty easy to weight, because only 1 bone controls the verts, problems will occur when two+ bones share the mesh's deformation.

As for scaling, it is possible to scale the model in the .glm file itself, the main problem is the floor plane. When scaled up the player will walk through the ground, when scaled down, he will obviously walk above.

Ive not tried it, but there's an option in carcass to move the model along the XYZ axis...maybe a mod is better, but i will experiment on that.

Originally posted by Ronin_Medjai

Im learning from one of THE Best Modelers. Some of his work can be seen HERE and he even remodeled the old yoda to work without the size command by combining him with his hover chair or whatever a pic found HERE Hes helping me remake my model now its going to have upside down saber mode :) Dont know what upside down saber mode is check ... HERE

Downsaber works without mods or anything to cause its done a diff way I can use it on any server muahahaha... I can also use normal saber mode too switching back and forth at the touch of a button (all without any mod plus it will work in any mod!!!)

So Using his tutorials and stuff and his giudance Im going to try my hand at modeling.

You dont need a mod to have Yoda Scaled ;) Just make him with a Hover Chair Like I previously stated

I don' think that would simulate the Yoda fighting experience in the best way possible. People are going to want the Yoda they saw kicking Dooku's ass, not a Yoda confined to a floating hoverchair. Besides..there are so many mods that resize out there (and the Attack of the Clones multiplayer conversion will be one of them), it shouldn't really be a big deal if a perfect resizing solution isn't available.

First, does anyone know of a site where I can learn more about shaders? I've retro-engineered a few, but it would be nice if I had some documentation.

You really need to hop on to our site mate, I can hook you up with Wudan and a few others as well you can chat to Indy and Phsyco in greater detail.

KevinCoyle - you still alive out there? :)

inbredyokel - I've tried to compromise getting the most surface area with least amount of distortion for the UV maps. My next big question is do you have the means to extract the UV's from a model directly, or will you need this done for you?

Psyk0Sith - Thanks! I'll pass the word on to Kevin if he has any problems (assuming he speaks to me again ;)). I'd also be very interested to hear about your scaling experiments with carcass.

More on scaling; I spoke briefly with both Tchouky and Darth Syrup (great guys, btw) - unfortunately it sounds likely any "mini-mod" included with this model would interfere with existing mods. I guess you all are going to have to be on the honor system to edit your own tckmodel.cfg's.

Ronin_Medjai - Hover Chair? Cute idea, but no. :)

Anakin - I've been to your site (and quite excited about the TC) - awesome news Syrup is working with you guys (ForceMod rocks). Anyone working on Super Battle Droids btw? I didn't get an email from you, but I did get a private message (which I responded to) - did you get mine?

ksyoda.jpg

KevinCoyle - you still alive out there? :)

inbredyokel - I've tried to compromise getting the most surface area with least amount of distortion for the UV maps. My next big question is do you have the means to extract the UV's from a model directly, or will you need this done for you?

In 3D studio max there's a plugin called texporter to take a "screenshot" of the UVW layout to a bitmap (jpg, tga...whatever). Your software should also have something similar...if not, you can export your model to .3ds (or anything supported by max) and ask someone to export the maps for you, in theory that should work.

One little thing i should mention: since Yoda is wearing a robe, you might want to turn the sleeves to about a 35 degree angle...cuz the skeleton's arms are not fully rotated towards the bottom (if that makes any sense...)

And i will let you know about my scaling experiments...

Yeah, I'll need jpegs of the UV maps. And I don't know if you're doing this already, but it's generally a good idea to just have half the head, half the torso, one arm, one leg, etc., and just mirror everything over. That way more detail can be put into the texture files without increasing the actual file size.

::edit:: Btw, I can't tell from that angle, but Yoda still has a hood, right? The robe just looks a little different since the first screenie :)

...it's generally a good idea to just have half the head, half the torso, one arm, one leg, etc., and just mirror everything over.

This is problematic for a couple things... for example, the robe mesh isn't symmetrical. Also, though the torso is geometrically symmetrical, the skin for it shouldn't be (Yoda's sash or "belt" skews higher on his left side). I did make objects like his hands/feet/etc. mirror though.

Btw, I can't tell from that angle, but Yoda still has a hood, right? The robe just looks a little different since the first screenie

Hehee, yup his hood is still there (I'll take another screenie when I get a chance) - I did have to simplify the robe quite a bit though to keep the poly count within reason. Little extras like the transition from his robe's opening to the back of the hood (and all the little folds in-between) I'm leaving to your skinning prowess. ;)

Well the lil fella is still somewhat in a holding pattern, but he's about as far along as I can get him - it's just a matter of having the model skinned, rigged, and converted to GLM.

BTW, for all those who asked, facial animation parts n' pieces have been put into place.

The model currently stands just shy of 3200 polygons; still a bit over the ideal, but hopefully within reason. Special thanks go out to Psyk0Sith for his tremendous help and support.

Here's a flat-shaded pic to tide everyone over in the meantime...

final_yoda.jpg

Archived