Home

How do you think they should make the next Star Wars game?

nycgamer

Assuming you’ve played all of the ones that have already been out, what would you have changed about any of them? Or is there a game concept that they haven’t done yet that you think they should have, like a new game about Han and Chewie, or something?

Before you turn your own thread into a non-topic, nycgamer, I think we'd better get back on track. I don't think the majority of people who post here have played every single Star Wars game (being that this is a site frequented mostly by LucasArts adventure game fans), but most everyone has at least played a few.

I think your question is too broad, to start out with. Star Wars games tend to get made for just about every genre (sim, strategy, first-person action, and now RPG), so it's hard to come up with ways to improve the gameplay aspects in Star Wars games as a whole. My beef with Star Wars game concepts is that in a number of the games, the plot is just taken right from the movie (Super Star Wars series, all the episode one games ever). However, it really seems like they are trying to come up with much more original concepts and characters, and spread into the "Expanded Universe", rather than focusing on the main characters and events in the films.

The only experience with the space combat sims is from X-Wing. So I'll have to guess from reviews that they did improve a lot in more recent titles like X-Wing Alliance.

The Dark Forces series got better with every incarnation. I think Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Academy (forum) will make certain things better than Jedi Outcast. I always wanted to drive around and have more of the original settings (Jawa sandcrawler!). Also it was kinda stupid to have all kind of enemies thrown into the levels regardless of their theme. Aliens and Storm Troopers don't mix too well.

I'd like to have a huge game where you can fly (in space and atmosphere), walk (on foot and AT-AT / AT-ST), ride and drive around freely and have certain RPG elements and a nice story-line like in Deus Ex or Morrowind.

Metallus, thanks for actually replying to me with complete words and giving some thoughtful advice.

See, I actually prefer when the game feels like an extension of the original movie. For me, the movie is what I relate to and the characters in the movie are what make me care about it. So, when a game like SW Rogue Leader gives you recreations of famous battles in the films (and very accurate recreations at that), it adds to the excitement, like you're now a participating member of one of the all-time greatest scenes in sci-fi history.

I would like to see a game of Luke Skywalker or Anakin Skywalker in the style of Splinter Cell. Now, the Obi Wan game is very nicely done, but it doesn't quite give you the "I am this character" feel that Splinter Cell does (which, if you haven't played it, you should check out - it's one of my all-time favs and I believe it won the console game of the year; http://www.splintercell.com/us). It would be like playng Sam Fisher with a lightsaber ~ I think of a Jedi as an enlightened ninja in a sense, so I would really like to play a very stealthy, hands-on version of a Jedi game.

One last note, what is missing from episode 1 & 2? In my opinion, it's Han Solo. Think about it ~ part of what made the first three SW movies so magical was the chemistry between the primary characters, especially Han, Luke and Leia. It's amazing how much sexual chemistry actually effects the way we feel about a story, whether we realize it or not. All the great stories, fiction or non-fiction based, have that central element of chemistry or sexual tension. Anyway, since I think Han Solo is such an important part of the SW saga for most fans, they should make a Han Solo game. I think maybe they feel that nowadays gamers would be the age that would only have seen the new movies and wouldn't really "get" the point of a Han Solo game. Sad... very sad. Makes me feel old.

If you ask me the next star wars should have something similar to monkey combat in EMI....

Where these lame robots just fight but instead of saying things like "ook ook app" and other weird phrases it could be "beep beep buzz" or something in that nature. Im sure LEC would put it in if they thought it would sell more!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived