Home

"The Rising Empire" (Level series Showcase)

Antizac

Well, If you're a frequent visitor to the TACC Forums Then you've probably seen all of these screenshots...

...so get outta here, nothin' new for you.

If your mostly native to the JKII forums, or have never been to the TACC Forums, then this totally new to you.

A basic summary of the story: (I'm purposely holding back some plot details, here.)

The Rising Empire, begins about 10 years after the Clone Wars (Pre - ANH, Post - Episode III by 10 years).

It's about a young mercenary / smuggler with a mysterious past, whom, after shortly getting kicked out of the Imperial Academy, soon finds himself returning to Coruscant.

Once there, he is met by a Rebel contact and is soon working for the Rebellion to help an Imperial science officer, defect to the Alliance.

Sounds simple enough - But will it be?

Anyway, this is just the first level of Part 1 of a 3 Part series with a more complicated plot as the story unfolds (like anyone actually cares, but what the hell.).

So, anyway here are the current screenshots:

Part: 1

A nifty bird's eye view of the landing platform.

10156.jpg

10157.jpg

The inside of the nightclub.

10159.jpg

Got change for 20 credits?

10158.jpg

Here's a couple more...

The suite - not quite finished.

10413.jpg

The roof of the nightclub - Where you'll have to retreat, once Imperials start raiding the place.

10412.jpg

Part: 2

I'm not revealing much about Part 2 except for a few screenshots:

9866.jpg

9857.jpg

9782.jpg

There's a purpose for the medival setting in Part 2, by the way.

Comments?

I've already seen this shots at TACC, but I'm still amazed at how good they are! The storyline sounds a real strong point, obviously a key element, which I am really keen on. Also, looks like it's gonna be pretty epic in playing time, another good thing :) The exterior shot of the town is just....man, amazing architecture. How much would you estimate of this project is done, if you are able to at this stage?

I'd say I'm about 25% (give or take some percentage points) done with Part 1. Because of it's size and all of the cutscenes, I had to break it up into 3 levels.

And Part 2, I just started to scratch the surface on. It will be about 3-4 levels, depending on how it works out. It works much like an RPG, in which, you have to run back and fourth from city to town to location, complete objectives, and gather items to complete other objectives. It is set on a pre-industrial planet, in another galaxy - that's why it loooks the way it does. (that's all I'm gonna say about it, for now)

Part 3 is very similar to Part 2, except it will involve a long journey across rugged terrain or a short one across the ocean (You will get to decide the path taken at several different points along the way.)

Anyway, this is just the first level of Part 1 of a 3 Part series with a more complicated plot as the story unfolds (like anyone actually cares, but what the hell.).

No, no, you got it all wrong. Everybody cares. Imagine if the original game would have just been shooting or slicing stormtroopes with a linear plot, with little or no problem solving (and to make it perfect, add a few totally uninteresting bad guys, or bad girls)! Who on earth would have played such a game?

No, the plot is important, not just for the people playing your map after it's finished, but it's equally improtant to you. A plot makes sure you stick to the business and everything in your maps has some purpose, and the events are not just random.

But great work so far! The architecture seems promising indeed, and if there's something to do with the texturing, that relatively easy. Just cut the final size to something you'll actually be able to finish. Then we will certainly have one more great campaign to wait for.

I forgot to show off some of the most important stuff of all...

The Rising Empire, will also include weapons and models created by me.

If someone else would have done these models - then I'd probably be done with the First part by now.

Blas-tek_DL-22.txt

BD-Rifle_showcase.txt

(This is a really old showcase of the Y-1800 Celphi - The current model is MUCH more detailed than this.)

8559.jpg

Also, I will use my "Universal Woman" model (that can be skinned in countless ways) for almost every female character - but every one will look obviously different. More info here

Lily_combos1.txt

• 2 weeks later...

It's fine, jp-30 take all the time you need. I only need it for Parts 2&3. I probably won't be finished with part 2 until, atleast, late fall...

Or even earlier, if I can get a new Motherboard sometime soon. (I'm currently running a 233 MMX with a GeForce 4 420Mx, so I'm lucky if my levels take less than 24 hours to compile)

Any-hoo, here's an updated shot of the club's exterrior:

11026.jpg

But this isn't from the last compile, I currently have a bunch of neon signs, and stuff all over the place, but I'm having an issue with Q3MAP2, where if I have too many brushes, everything is textured with a default texture. So, I really can't show too much at this point.

Originally posted by Antizac

Or even earlier, if I can get a new Motherboard sometime soon. (I'm currently running a 233 MMX with a GeForce 4 420Mx, so I'm lucky if my levels take less than 24 hours to compile)

Wow! 233 MHz! I didn't know Radiant would even start on a computer like that. You are a real hero to have mapped a map like that with that kind of hardware. I hope you'll get your new system soon.

• 3 months later...

Well, now that I'm finally over my "Legend of Zelda fetish", I can now get back to work on something that I haven't showcased in awhile - Mostly because of my system limitations. Very soon, however I'll be getting a new motherboard, and then you're really gonna see things fly on this level series.

I've been working on the maps, but so far, I've been getting texture errors, so I won't be showing anything from those, just yet.

But just to tide people over a bit, here's one of the new enemy models, for Part II, I've been working on:

12255.jpg

I call it a "Sith Demon". Basically it'll be an undead, rotting corpse with horns on it's head, and sockets for eyes. If I don't use it for an enemy - I can, atleast, remove the horns and use for a plain, rotting corpse.

[EDIT]:

OK, I have it skinned, now (mostly):

12256.jpg

I decided against the rotting corpse thing, and just went with streight demon.

> The girl's face looks a bit pinkish... Kinda like she's been working out and her make up started melting off. LoL.

They're modview shots. In-game skins tend to have less colour & contrast compared to how they look in modview. :)

So you have to exaggerate a little in your textures.

Ok, I finally got my new Motherboard! I'm now running the same thing, only now I'm running it with a beautiful AMD Athlon 1800+!

Ok, Now for the update that's been months overdue:

Some nifty shots of the same city block in Coruscant...

12376.jpg

12377.jpg

Still having problems, but these shots are from the last compile, before I got my new motherboard, so I'll have all that fixed soon.

Archived