Home

Star Wars: Republic Commando

StormHammer

Originally posted by StormHammer

Back on topic...I wonder why there is no official site for this game, yet? All of the others that have been announced have official sites...but this one just has the Press Release and nothing else. That looks a bit odd, to me. Even if they haven't got any in-game screenshots, or anything, an official site would be nice to have. They could show us come concept art, if nothing else.

Come on LEC...you can't leave us hanging like this... :(

I'm hoping to see something soon. C'mon, just show us anything. I really have a feeling that this game [if it lives up to it's possible potential] will be bigger then JO. *keeps fingers crossed*

:D

Originally posted by Leemu Taos

I really have a feeling that this game [if it lives up to it's possible potential] will be bigger then JO. *keeps fingers crossed*

A likely possibility;)They're going all out for this title, I can tell, and judging from that trailer...we won't be disappointed upon it's release. Still, 2004 seems such a long way away...:(

I've just finished reading Dark Horse comics Star Wars Republic #50 'The Epic Battle for Kamino' which is based on the events immediately following the Geonosis Arena battle. Now I know it's EU, but from my understanding, the writers have been given the plot for Episode 3 and are filling the gap between AOTC and EP3, much like the game 'The Clone Wars'.

Now the reason I'm telling you this...

I've just finished watching the Republic Commando trailer again, and I noticed that the Clones were very different fromt he ones in AOTC. In Republic #50 there are Arc Troopers. Arc Troopers are A.dvanced R.econ C.lone Troopers. They were trained by Jango Fett himslef for the most critical missions. They were keep in stasis tubes because they display some of Jango's personality and independence. This has made them unpredictable. They were released to help in the defence of Kamino.

They look very similar to the Clone Troopers seen in the trailer. I'm wondering if we will be playing as ARC Troopers in the game. The official site says...

from the point-of-view of an elite squad member of a Republic Special Operations unit

... which sounds very much like the ARC Troopers I just described.

Here is a picture of one of them:

11697.jpg

Originally posted by leXX

I've just finished watching the Republic Commando trailer again, and I noticed that the Clones were very different fromt he ones in AOTC. In Republic #50 there are Arc Troopers. Arc Troopers are A.dvanced R.econ C.lone Troopers. They were trained by Jango Fett himslef for the most critical missions. They were keep in stasis tubes because they display some of Jango's personality and independence. This has made them unpredictable. They were released to help in the defence of Kamino.

They look very similar to the Clone Troopers seen in the trailer. I'm wondering if we will be playing as ARC Troopers in the game. The official site says...

... which sounds very much like the ARC Troopers I just described.

Here is a picture of one of them:

Thanks very much for all that information, leXX. :)

Here's a couple of still pictures of one of the troopers in the E3 video (courtesy of JBRAA) for comparison...

43.jpg

42.jpg

I reckon they look different from the clone troopers seen in AOTC, and possibly closer to the picture leXX posted above. :thumbsup:

Heh...I like the idea of becoming a renegade trooper. :D

Originally posted by Solbe M'ko

OK, I see a trailer. This game could be good, it could be crap. I have no idea from what I've seen.

Did you even READ the press release I linked you too? For a game coming out a year from now, how much information do you expect?:confused:

Downloading the video now... I just wouldn't get my hopes up too much. Bounty Hunter looked like it might have been pretty good (but it my opinion) it kinda sucked.

If it's a PC game that just happens to be on the XBox than it could be good. If it's an XBox game that just happens to get released for the PC than it probably won't be quite as good... If you know what I mean :). I hope the PC version is released first :).

If this game could capture the feel of a good FPS in the Star Wars universe like Dark Forces, it could be one of the best games of all time for me. I like the Jedi stuff, but I always thought Dark Forces like gameplay was better.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see... The fact that this game isn't going to be released for awhile, yet was already announced leads me to believe it will be a pretty major SWs game... But we shall see.

Originally posted by Solbe M'ko

All I know is that it will have the Unreal engine. That doesn't make an ounce of difference in the gameplay. I'm optimistic, but I don't want to get my hopes up too soon.

Well, of course we don't know any details about what the game will actually contain, or anything, so yes, in a way you're right that we shouldn't get our hopes up too soon.

However, I have to hope that LEC is returning to the same kind of quality they showed in products like DF and JK. Remember that they had their own internal development teams working on those titles, and they were both great games. I know we've had a rocky ride since then...but on the other hand LEC seem to be making a lot of the right decisions lately.

I think they've made exactly the right decision going with the Unreal engine. That alone means they're really committed to making a great game, to stump up the $500,000 licensing fee for the engine. There is also an extraordinary amount of talent out there in terms of individuals who can produce some excellent maps and mods with the Unreal tech, and I hope they look long and hard at hiring the best of the crop.

If the trailer is a cut scene, as I suspect, then in my view they are finally returning to and even surpassing the quality of cut scenes we saw in Jedi Knight.

I am more hopeful that LEC can produce something very good on the Unreal tech than some other unknown developers with less experience. I mean, I waited some time for Devastation to come out...and now it has, it's pretty mediocre judging by the game demos. LEC should know what works in terms of a decent Star Wars based FPS by simply looking back at Dark Forces and Jedi Knight. If they can recapture the 'magic' of those two titles, then RC could potentially be a killer game. If they don't simply rely on the great graphics in the engine (and based on past experience, they don't), and develop an intriguing storyline, I have high hopes for the title.

Of course, I'll be happier when I've seen in-game screenshots and some more details. *hint hint - looks at LEC*

Just got done watching the trailer... since that isn't actually ingame footage, and the fact that we hardly know anything about this game doesn't really give me any reason to speculate further... Though I do agree with Stormhammer's assessments.

I hope we can get some real screenshots soon.

BTW, I personally thought that single player JO was pretty good... but it lacked a lot of the feel and "mystery" that the original JK, MotS, and DF had. I can only conclude that it was because LEC didn't internally create the game, but gave it to Raven. In my opinion that was one of their worst decissions resently... They already proved they could make oustanding FPS games, I don't see why they had to step down and let someone else develop, but that's a whole other argument.

Originally posted by Silent_Thunder

BTW, I personally thought that single player JO was pretty good... but it lacked a lot of the feel and "mystery" that the original JK, MotS, and DF had. I can only conclude that it was because LEC didn't internally create the game, but gave it to Raven. In my opinion that was one of their worst decissions resently... They already proved they could make oustanding FPS games, I don't see why they had to step down and let someone else develop, but that's a whole other argument.

Okay, I'm going to speculate on this. :D

When LEC made JK, Justin Chin was at the helm, and they had a pretty damned good team working on the title. I believe that same team went on to develop MotS, an expansion pack that was damned near a separate game in it's own right if they'd spent more time on it. I'll speculate there and say they looked at the Quake 2 engine, which was admittedly prettier than JK's...and they probably decided to release MotS earlier rather than later so it didn't look too old and out-dated. Probably a good move.

Now wait 4 years...and Justin Chin and probably a lot of that original 'FPS' development team had moved on to pastures anew. They started working on Obi-Wan, trying to revamp and drastically update the JK-style engine, and realised in the course of development the game they were making wasn't really suitable for the PC.

In the meantime, Raven had produced Heretic II...a damned good game, IMHO, with a 3rd-person view and very nice animations of the main character, complete with some nifty attacks with his bladed staff. So they had a good basis for melee combat, and they'd already produced 'FPS' titles - so they had both bases covered, and they were probably available. I have to say I think LEC made the right choice getting Raven on board, because I don't know of many other developers that managed to produce both good FPS and a good melee-style combat game. The problem with Raven has been the linearity of level design, which hopefully they are seriously addressing in JA.

That's all just speculation on my part...but it makes sense to me in that context. I too liked JO - it was different from JK in many respects, but I think they made the right decision focusing more on the lightsaber and Force powers.

I reckon LEC have probably 'relearned' some stuff about producing a good FPS by working with Raven, and if they've got a decent team together with the right skill-set, there's no reason why they can't get back to producing some killer FPS games in-house themselves. I certainly hope they can pull it off with Republic Commando, and I'm encouraged by the way they worded their announcement - that it would be dark and intense and brutal. Good ingredients for an FPS, in my book, but the proof will be in the execution. Hopefully they have someone with good vision at the helm who knows what makes a good FPS tick.

I wonder if they'll decide to produce a new and revisualised version of the Outlaws game they produced around the same time as JK (using the same engine, I believe). That would rock as well. :D

Archived