Home

Why is it OK to criticize religion (i.e. Christianity)?

mr116

Before any of this begins, I'd like to try and keep things rational in this post, if you would please...

With that said:

As I browsed the boards this evening, I find a very interesting double standard: Non-Christians harass Christians about not being accepting, but then they try their very hardest to debunk Christianity.

Why is this the case? We (yes, we) as Christians believe in the Bible as the absolute law... why do you not accept this?

In a below post regarding homosexuality, people are being torn up for disagreeing and using the Bible as cause for the disagreement. Homosexuals aren't riddiculed for being what they are... but Christians are.

You beg us, please be accepting of others thoughts and ideas... I beg you, please respect our beliefs, and don't assume that we are close-minded biggots simply because of our beliefs, it is simply that some of us do not compromise values that we hold important to us.

[Let me elaborate on the last sentance: I don't say that you don't, I'm not implying anything, just stating one of the bases of Christian beliefs]

Thank you

Mr116

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont bash Christianity since on paper i AM Christian. But I dont fallow any of it.

Christianity is fine if its peacefull. However the problem some of us have with this religious is that its too dominative in North America. The Pope doesnt allow people to use anti-contreceptive pills, why not? Christianity has abused power for a long time. Notablity in Québec during colonisation of North America. The French Canadians (like me) were often opressed. Told what do to. Who to see. etc. telling people to get more children or be shuned by the community and forced out of the church.

The main idea is a great idea. just like budism and every other religion. Love. Peace. Acceptance.

However when it gets to the core its just as corrupted as modern corporations and politics. They force a lot of opinions on people. When the Supreme court in the States overrulled the anti-gay sex in Texas and a few other states, Priests and religious fallowers prayed and protested at the courts. Why? Because they feel they must inforce the code of the Bible on others that are not part of the religion.

Then a vast majority have the nerve to say at other religious what they are doing is wrong. Attacking jews, muslims, etc for thier difference in opinions. Attacking the Jehovah's' Witnesses because they are too "hard core fanatics". Saying the the fact that muslims fallow their religion to the core of acting out jihad when the Catholic church had crusades that murdered thousands.

speaking of which. in the bible it says no sin can be pardoned. Then why did the pope, which is supposed to represent God, send murderers, thieves and rapists to the Crusades with promisses that if they are victors, all sins will be forgiven and a spot in heaven will be kept for them?

Its not that we are attacking DIRECTLY Chatholics all the time. It might seem that way to you because this is the strongest religion in the States, especially in the Southern States.

I can only speak for myself, but since I've been accused in the past of "bashing" christianity, I can tell you that I generally have sincere respect for other cultures and religions (christian or otherwise). In fact, I find many of them extremely fascinating.

Here, in this forum, however, christianity often gets thrown out like a wild card in a poker game. What I mean is, whenever a serious topic comes up about "homosexuality," "the death penalty," "genetics," or philosphy in general, someone always seems to subvert or hijack the discussion to relate it to a narrow measure of christian values.

Christianity is by no means the only faith in the world and is only viewed as valid by christians.

One can only be willing to humor this phenomena for so long before it becomes readily apparent that the only way to continue the discussion is to oppose this viewpoint along with others.

Also, this is a branch of the LucasForums where serious discussion is encouraged, and, thus, draws the more intellectual and philosophical of LF along with the theological.

In many of the circles I move in during my day-to-day life, there are friends and associates who are religious (most christian, some muslim and hindi). However, there are also many circles I associate with that the members are typically more intellectual and less religious. Most scientists and budding scientist friends of mine are agnostic, as am I.

Again, speaking for myself, I usually don't initiate any controversy with regard to religion (unless it's April first), but I am more than willing to respond to a post that cites a religious point where I disagree. This is because, from my perspective, there is a certain measure of hypocrisy associated with christianity. It seems a bit pompus to go about life attempting to change others to fit your belief system while proclaiming their own invalid. I'm not trying to suggest that you, personally do this, but this is the business of most religions, not just christianity.

Now I realize that most christians who read this post will immediately think to say, "but agnostic, scientist types also try to impose their beliefs upon others." I cannot deny that I wish everyone would believe in the value of critical thinking and skeptical reasoning with regard to life, education, and things spiritual. But there is a difference in that the agnostic approach is always open to improvement on the way we view life and its history. There are no certainties, no evidence is 100% convincing, and everyone is welcome to a hypothesis as long as they're willing to have it ruthlessly scrutinized.

By engaging in conversation with one such person, you unwittingly agree to this. Don't take it personal. Your ideas might be ruthlessly examined ('attacked' if you will), but if anyone attacks you directly, let me or C'jais know. It's likely that we'll catch it, though.

So.... did that answer your question? At least partially?

One last thing... there is a thread that was moved here from the Swamp in which you will note some very personal attacks. One person was banned, another warned (both should have been banned or neither, but that was taken care of elswhere). Their comments still stand, however, as an example of what not to do. Those comments are also very telling of both of their characters.

Ok, if the topics I address below seem vague, I'm sorry, but I don't like to quote people, that tends to open up meticulous nitpickings of grammar usage and the like, and can sometimes fully destroy a point.

I'm afraid I have to disagree to an extent about the core of Christianity being compassion and acceptance. Don't get me wrong, both very important things, but the focus behind Christianity is to love and worship the Creator our God, and be redeemed from our sins through Jesus Christ. **Sorry, I understand many are rolling eyes right now, but as that is the main focus, I feel that it should be elaborated upon**

Skinwalker, I agree with you fully about wishing everyone would take an open-minded stance on things. I personally feel that if you should have to follow it blindly, then that truly is whistling in the dark. However, by scientific means (and other, less concrete means) I have personally concluded that there is an Intelligent Creator, and so on from there.

I wish people could and would evaluate their faith, if they claim to be Christians, because if there really is a God, then there should be enough evidence to prove that to yourself.

I understand that people, when they think of Christians, think of worldly establishments that try to interpret the Bible and make masses follow their interpretations, i.e. the Catholic Church. While that might be the largest sect of Christianity, it is not the definitive, which is why I believe many terrible things were done in the name of the church and of God, such as the Crusades. That was a blatent misuse of power, but I can't understand why that is chosen to depict Christianity in general, of its shortcomings.

Skinwalker, I also agree about the arrogance of some, but I truly have to stress, the points hammered are often represented by people who don't truly represent Christ, just as you don't judge a race by one person, or even a group of people.

I understand the 'wildcard' remark, but it stands that people who have Christian beliefs let it influence all their lives, that's part of it. Again, I concede that the Bible is only valid by Christians, but that's where it is justified from for us. I also agree that it is a pity that members of other religions, such as Hindi or Muslim, don't get the chance for whatever reason to express their beliefs here, I believe that would give more perspective, and also take pressure off Christianity being the only non-fully tangible source.

Again, I have to reiterate that even in an intelligent debate, theology will have to play in somewhere, so long as there is someone who can put it out there, and can support it.

About the technicalities of my term 'bashing', I simply meant the unwillingness to accept it under any circumstance, regarding it as complete nonsense, merely because it is theology, and the many repeated attempts to show the flaws therein.

Your post was well said.

Originally posted by mr116

About the technicalities of my term 'bashing', I simply meant the unwillingness to accept it under any circumstance, regarding it as complete nonsense, merely because it is theology, and the many repeated attempts to show the flaws therein.

Actually, I prefer a different reason as to the unwillingness to accept mainstream religion: the inability to test it.

I've been involved, lately, in educating myself about some of the more interesting research of late regarding the brain. There is much going on that is finding reasons for various syndromes such as senseasthesia (my spelling on this term is likely incorrect), mental illnesses, and various conditions brought on by injury or stroke.

In doing the research, the researchers could easily have chalked up some of the whys to God. In their perspectives, however, god is an untestable hypothesis, so they throw it out and look at other hypotheses. And its in this that they find answers that allow for further discovery.

I don't discount the influence of god, I just don't apply a very high probability to it as it goes against common sense. That sense, of course, isn't common among believers.

My interest in the brain and consciousness, by the way, is part of a paper I'm attempting to write on Why People Belive. Not just in religion, but UFOs, parapsychology, divination, astrology, and a host of other unsubstantiated ideas. From my perspective, I see little difference when comparing theology to astrology. Both, for instance, depend upon unverifiable documents that guide the practitioner. I see the differences, but the similarities that I see are significant.

Yup, if we are talking about double standards then why is it ok for the church to dictate to us what is right and wrong and yet it un acceptable to point out that the church is wrong?

Freedom of speech as long as you agree eh?

withe each passing day the existence of god becomes less and less likely as far as i'm concerned, and as such i would say the loch ness monster is probably more of a reality than god.

I've never see one iota of scientific proof that god is real. Basically god and gods were invented to explain things that could not be explained through reasoning and/or science. We now know how the universe started thanks to science and god is not even mentioned. Q.E.D.

The other problem is that religion is used as an excuse to treat people badly under the pretence of carrying out god's word.

I applaud you, mr116. I too have wondered this for some time, but it occured to me that even in the Bible it states that we will be ridiculed beyond belief for being a christian. I mean, look what they did to Jesus. :\

Christianity: Human Life is sacred.

Christianity: Pregnant women can't have abortions it is immoral even if it is to save their own life.

Christianity: Love Thy Neighbour

Christianity: Kill All Gays because they are Gay.

I could go on but I won't.

I wonder then after all what faith is? I mean it's not that I can't understand that personal fate is unquestionable but how does it work physically? What happens in human brain that makes it stick with one idea and protect it no matter how good it is refuted? And then what happens to the uncertainty that every human know to be the bigger part of his life (not even bigger but whole)?

Originally posted by mr116

O...I don't like to quote people, that tends to open up meticulous nitpickings of grammar usage ...

i have a feeling you are talking about me. if you aren't then... woohoo for me... but if you are. dammit who cares if i have bad grammar. english isnt my first language! And if you ask me its pretty damn good considering that fact!

now back to the christian bashing debate:

I have to agree with SkinWalker on the forum issue. There is a lot of references and wild cards thrown around by catholics, especially in that homosexuality thread.

Christianity to me is merely a crutch for the weak, a tool for the manipulative and an excuse for the vile. I cannot love God nor can I hate him, for he is like us without guilt. I can only hope to convince him of the error of his way, and failing that quest for his utter destruction.

His followers are ignorant, naïve sheep and by far the most of these are hypocritical, arrogant buffoons like those representing themselves in this thread.

Eternity in any state can only bring insanity.

I cannot bring myself to discuss this rationally for my loathing is too great.

Christianity: Kill All Gays because they are Gay.

IT NEVER SAYS TO KILL GAYS!!!!! Name one place in the Bible that it says to kill gay people? In fact Jesus hung around the most sinful people in there time(prostitutes,tax collectors, gays).

In fact in the Bible Jesus saves a women from being stoned by men because she slepped with another man other than her husband. You cant say that he hates other non0christians.

I cannot love God nor can I hate him, for he is like us without guilt. I can only hope to convince him of the error of his way, and failing that quest for his utter destruction

I think neither you nor christians really understand his way. I guess everyone can only possess personal god and not ultimate. And his way therefore is only seen through the angle of our subjectiveness. God's not Bible, nor science, it's much more complicated than that. If I could I would invent a new word for it. If I could I would understand him.

Originally posted by Homuncul

I think neither you nor christians really understand his way. I guess everyone can only possess personal god and not ultimate. And his way therefore is only seen through the angle of our subjectiveness. God's not Bible, nor science, it's much more complicated than that. If I could I would invent a new word for it. If I could I would understand him.

I can offer this word: Faith.

Originally posted by Jubatus

His followers are ignorant, naïve sheep and by far the most of these are hypocritical, arrogant buffoons like those representing themselves in this thread.

Well excuse me for breathing, mr. perfect. How dare you. How dare you come here and tell me christians are ignorant and naive. Do you have any idea how smart I am? I'm sure you don't, do don't you dare mock me for being a christian.

This is exactly why I am leaving the senate chambers. You call us christians hypocrits, yet everyone here believes in stating opinions and not bashing someone for having an opinion, yet in almost every instance, christians get bashed by these SAME people simply because they are christian. You sir, tell me who is the hypocrit.

i don't particularly bash christianity unless it's proven that a certain denomination is ignorant like the denomination known as southern baptist. they used the bible to prove slaves were the wish of god. these are the christians i detest. now if the person is nice and accepting of times i will enjoy their company such as obi-wan13 he's a very kind man. we may have different views on things but he accepts that and doesn't rub the "your going to hell" thing.

i think that if there was a god he'd be a cactus. wanna know why? cuz cactus' don't give a s**t. they just accept what's going on and just go with the flow. they got no wonder, no biggie.

Question: TheJackal when you say catholics are you referring to the whole of christianty or just the Catholics?

Where do i begin. Well yes it does seem that Christians are getting a fair bit of stick. From some of the arguements i've finally had the chance to read in the anti-homosexual thread it is well deserved critism in places!

I think the main proble however is that some Christians (This applies to ALL other organised religions as well) are not prepared to sit and think through why they follow their repective bibles. Some are blindly following with out questioning! This IS ALWAYS DANGEROUS!!!! Why because it allows the blind followers to be mislead by the preachers and religious leaders instead of thinking for themselves and self-intrepreing the bible and doing as they believe is correct.

I bet now you would like to know my faith. Well I do not follow the organised religions any more I turn my back on them years ago. Why because everyone of them without exception (as far as i know) are corupted one way or another. I do believe in a surpreme power, God as you will. But the way I see it as it is easier to thing of the surpreme power as a "force" but i call it the universe, that binds everything together and is beyond such a thing as good or evil. I do follow a majority of Christian values and morals as well. Anyway I digess to much.

So basically all those Christians out there that believe they are being unfairly attacked your not its just that people are "asking" why do you believe that. My advice is to answer their question. :)

Yes I have edited it Note to posters i may be a good idea to not post arguement when sleepy!!!!!!!

Originally posted by InsaneSith

i don't particularly bash christianity unless it's proven that a certain denomination is ignorant like the denomination known as southern baptist. they used the bible to prove slaves were the wish of god. these are the christians i detest. now if the person is nice and accepting of times i will enjoy their company such as obi-wan13 he's a very kind man. we may have different views on things but he accepts that and doesn't rub the "your going to hell" thing.

I would never rub the your going to hell thing into someone that is just as much a sin as anything else. And Insane you know that are views are extremely different in most cases but you are one of the nicest guys here, you dont bash anything to do with christianity the moment you see it.

1st) christians BURNED people for certain reasons. ONE is that they SAID the EARTH is a SPHERE.

2nd) they refused to accept this up to the 20th century.

3rd) CHRISTIANS KILL AND HAVE KILLED TO SPREAD THEIR BELIEFS!

nothing furthermore needed to say to that except perhabs:

If you are carrying a cross and step to a foe with it and hit him with it, then you are not longer carrying a cross. YOU CARRY A WEAPON.

This is exactly why I am leaving the senate chambers. You call us christians hypocrits, yet everyone here believes in stating opinions and not bashing someone for having an opinion, yet in almost every instance, christians get bashed by these SAME people simply because they are christian. You sir, tell me who is the hypocrit.

Please don't just leave SC. I'm sure Jub's got pretty an argument why he thinks so. Not bashing. You're just defending yourself for not having anything valid to justify christians. For that many like to generelize people as hypocrit christians. I don't do so. But since this thread is for seriouss discussions it would, I would very much like to see how Jub's been refuted as I have keeping it as an oath to do so sometime

Originally posted by Lord Siraious

Question: TheJackal when you say catholics are you referring to the whole of christianty or just the Catholics?

Where do i begin. Well yes it does seem that Christians are getting a fair bit of stick. Deal with it. From some of the arguements i've finally had the chance to read in the anti-homosexual thread it is well deserved critism in places!

COLOR]

How dare you tell me to deal with it. You are making it sound that we are below you and are naive ignorant welps. I do not have to deal with it from you.

In your view homosexuals get bashed they should deal with it. Blacks get bashed they should deal with it. You are a true hypocrite.

1st) christians BURNED people for certain reasons. ONE is that they SAID the EARTH is a SPHERE.

2nd) they refused to accept this up to the 20th century.

3rd) CHRISTIANS KILL AND HAVE KILLED TO SPREAD THEIR BELIEFS!

America is a christian dominated country and we allow people of other religions to live here and practice there beliefs.

But In Muslim countries, christians are persecuted and killed for spreading there beliefs so dont say that we are closeminded religion.

Archived