Home

What is a good self defense style to take?

Heavyarms

Originally posted by JediMasterEd

If you want a good self-defense martial arts, Tae Kwon Do is one of 'em I think.*Points to sign*...unless that was one that fits the ones you don't want to do...

I took Tae Kwon Do when I was a kid. Got as far as yellow belt (not much!) but then when we started kicking each other in the faces, my mom took me out of it x_X

It's a good martial art. It's not flashy, but it's extremely reliable.

Keep in mind that any martial art will NOT make you a good fighter. All a martial art can do is optimize your fighting chances. If you have none to begin with (like taking on a 400 pounder) then the art will not help you.

I recommend that you read this site: http://www.24fightingchickens.com

This will remove any myth you might believe in concerning martial arts (and especially shotokan karate).

Jiu-Jitsu !

It's the best man! Karate and all the other are good, but if you are not so strong and this huge load of fat wants to pick a fight, even if you can kick high and punch hard, you won't have much of a chance. Jiu-Jitsu is different, it doesn't matter if you're strong or not (to a certain extent, let's be reasonable. . .) you will still choke the guy anyway.

BTW, it's kinda violent since it's no hold barred, but you can tap out whenever you feel you're gonna have some part of you broken !:D

I think I was purple when I had to stop taking lessons from the guy. We had to know all the words and such and there was a lot of physical labor but luckily I didn't have to do any running like that. :D We were just about to start learning how to break cement blocks and boards and the like.

Originally posted by «K» Heavyarms

It's Cage's alternate fighting style in Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance. His first is Karate, his second is Jeet Kune Do, and he has a ninchaku.

This thing reminds me to state something I forgot in the first place: comparing a real martial art to a videogame is probably one of the worst mistakes one can make.

BTW I'm just stating a point that has to be said, just to be sure.

Archived