Home

Pirates of the Caribbean

Remi

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks very un Disney-esqe... Is it the first restricted disney film.

Anyway I was planning to use my little sister as an excuse to go and see it with her... but it's a 12A and My mum might not let her go... anywayI still have a few weeks to ware her down.

With any luck this will bring pirate movies back into fasion and More likely to make the true Monkey Island movie... though no doubt it will be critisisced for beint to simiarlar to this one.

Bloom was pretty good in the movie, and I did laugh at all the funny situations he was in, but Depp stole the show. I was not expecting how wonderous he would be in it!

They used the skeleton pirates the perfect amount in the movie. Any more would have been overkill (see "The Mummy Returns"). The restraint of the skeleton pirates was sheer cinematic art. If they had it earlier, there would have been no awe in it when they are shown for the first time.

Finally, an action/fantasy movie not grounded in special effects, but one that uses them to accent a really cool story, which is surprisingly about very much human characters: Jack Sparrow, Will Turner, and Elizabeth Swann, their relationships to each other, and their feelings about themselves.

One thing that made the movie great was the huge, splendid cast of characters. I loved those two bumbling redcoats that kept popping up, as well as the two skeletons. Gracious, what a movie. As Jerry Bruckheimer (or Gore Verbinski) said, "The curse of pirate movies is officially OVER!"

May this mean more of the genre.

Originally posted by EnchiladaMan

They used the skeleton pirates the perfect amount in the movie. Any more would have been overkill (see "The Mummy Returns"). The restraint of the skeleton pirates was sheer cinematic art. If they had it earlier, there would have been no awe in it when they are shown for the first time.

*sighs* i suppose you are right...movies based soley on "shock effect" suck(the Mummy Returns did suck seriously).

But i heart the undead :(. i wanted to see more, more!

(Image: when comes out on DVD, will watch skeleton scences over and over untill brain falls out):rolleyes:

Yeah, this movie was fantastic. Great story, great acting, great effects....great everything. It may have been slow at times, but I wasn't bothered by it at all.

I think the Guybrush character was broken into 2 parts, split into Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom...I would have wished that Orlando Bloom's character be more "Guybrush" clumsy and corny, but Orlando has to be the same "studly" character as usual...oh well, still decent.

Depp was by far the best part of the movie, Captain Jack Sparrow is HILARIOUS! I would gladly watch a spinoff movie starring that character. The movie is really fun, and has tons of cool pirate eye candy. Keira Knightley is superhot too. Geoffrey Rush is an awesome bad pirate. I watched it a second time to try and find some "monkey island characters"...

Carla - The Black lady that let Sparrow borrow her boat

Meathook - The midget

Murray - The Parrot :)

LeChuck - Barbossa

Elaine - Elizabeth Swann

Guybrush - Will Turner

Evil Timmy - Monkey

Big Boned and Thin Undead guys from COM - The main 2 goofy pirates

Otis - One of the jailmates...

Don't remember others...Jack Sparrow was unique, and awesome...I suggest everyone go watch it, definitely good.

Yeah, I also admit that I had very low expectations for the film, but I was just...wowed by it. A bit too long, especially the first actionless twenty minutes (which I actually missed the first time I saw it and still managed to understand the movie), but overall an excellent movie.

Another scene from the ride I saw in the film: a skeleton (a real dead one, not one of thsoe crazy undead ones) with a small crab scurrying back and forth by it. In the movie this is when Jack and Will are paddling in the boat together, in the ride its pretty much the first thing you see.

Here's a slightly modified version of the review I posted on a Disney park music discussion board:

I saw the movie at a sneak preview in Atlanta a couple weeks ago. I got a bunch of passes and went with six other people. I was somewhat apprehensive because I hate Jerry Bruckheimer and his foul creations with a fierce and burning passion. Nevertheless, I was encouraged by the great casting, good advance buzz, and of course ties to my favorite ride in DL/Magic Kingdom and the whole MI vibe. I'm happy to say I was not disappointed.

The best thing about the film is the way in which it sticks to the spirit of the ride. You'd think that an amusement park ride would make for a rather flimsy movie premise, but summer movies SHOULD feel like rides (even if that ride is oftentimes the carousel: "Haven't we been here before?"). The screenwriters lifted just enough material from the Disney boat ride to make it seem familiar. There are some direct homages which I won't divulge here, but many in the packed house cheered when they recognized them.

Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom acquit themselves admirably, but it is Geoffrey Rush and most especially Johnny Depp who carry the film. Their charisma and investment in the material help elevate it above the dreck this film most certainly could have become. Depp's Captain Jack Sparrow is a character with quirks and amiability to spare, reminding us of how much the world dearly loves an antihero...

Monkey Island fans will recognize a lot of familiar cues here. Indeed, the central plot point of a crew of cursed skeletal pirates is lifted straight from the Monkey Island mythos (by way of Coleridge, perhaps). I think I read a while back that the game rights had been optioned for a film. Perhaps the success of "Pirates..." will lead to a Monkey Island film. Who knows.

As to the music: Well, it's a Bruckheimer film. Klaus Badelt's score is loud and I suppose suitably swashbucking, but quite honestly, you could swap it out with the score in any other Bruckheimer film and not notice a difference. I'm sure many of you are wondering if and how "Yo ho..." is incorporated. It is included, primarily in snippets hummed and recited by various members of the cast. Depp's character seems particularly enamored of the "...really bad eggs" bit. But there is no big musical number and no one ever really belts out a lengthy portion of the song, so feel free to be either relieved or disappointed.

All in all I'd give the film 8 out of 10. Very enjoyable, and one of the better summer movies in recent memory.

The great thing was that I'm in the US now so I saw the movie last thursday...and I must say that it was pretty good. I thought it would suck but I was wrong. It is the best american produced comedy I've seen in ages.

You gotta see it if you are into ghost pirates ;)

Hey you! Nice to see a familiar face around here.

Life has been treating me GREAT. I landed a swank job writing for an industrial engineering magazine, I'll be closing on a house next week, and I'm getting married in September. So things are pretty nifty all around. How about yourself?

We'll actually be sort of, kind of close to you come October. We're honeymooning in Ireland...just one isle away. ;)

Aww! That's great to hear.

I've had a pretty rough last year, the guy I was living with and I split about a year ago, which made me spiral down into depression and generally horribleness.

Past few months have picked up a lot, though, and I'm now applying to do a degree down in Swansea, Wales in Photography, so with any luck I'll get in. :)

I'm also about to become an auntie, my younger sister found out that she was 6 months pregnant a few weeks ago, so I'm looking forward to that, too.

P.S. I expect to see wedding photos when the time comes round!

That's nice, but can you can you keep any more personal conversations to LucasForums Private Messages please? Thanks. :)

Anyway, back on topic: the movie isn't coming out in the UK for a little while yet, but I really want to see it. :~

What kind of **** forum stays on topic??!?!

...non-annoying ones.

I hope they keep the Pirates of the Caribbean as an ongoing series of movies. I can see how that could do well as long as they don't do what I call "typical sequels" (borrowing every "hit" scene from the first film and attempting to put a new twist on it ...as in "Mummy Returns").

I saw this movie and it was amazing. I never thought it would be that good. As the New York Times said, "It had no right to be that good" It was a Disney movie based on a ride at disneyland But it was great. It had a very "Monkey Island" feel.

There were many references to the ride, but I was a tad disspointed at the utter lack of Monkey Island references. I also would have enjoyed a little more "Yo ho." Ohter than that, it was outstading. A must see for EVERYONE, not just pirate lovers.

Argh.

Someone was going to take me to see it today but now she's postponed it. And I don't wanna see it with respectable people I hardly know because they would be irreversibly freaked out by my piratey exclamations and strange behavior and joy. I hate when that happens.

Emma: :tsk: We are talking about the Pirates of the Caribbean, not arguing whether off-topicness is socially acceptable here.

Archived