Home

How will players deal with Yuuzhan Vong if the make an appearance??

HaruGlory89

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by HaruGlory89

How? Personally, I think that players can interact with objects and shoot them. Like levitating a box and throwing it at them.

No you won't be able to this I think... And who the f*ck are the Yuuzhan Vong?? Some EU crap?? I don't think Raven gives a sh*t about EU, they make their own stories :cool:

Given the fact that Raven's stories become EU, I think that's a pretty stupid statement to make.

In any case, to answer your question, there's practically a zero chance of any "Vong spies" showing up. It would be interesting to fight one perhapes as a mini boss or something fully masked. Although I suppose it's possible considering how Mara Jade, R-41 Star Chasers, T-Wings, Korriban, Holocrons and Noghiri made it into Mysteries of the Sith.

And let's not forget the references to the New Republic, Imperial Remnant, Mon Mothma as Cheif of State (and running things on Coruscant no less), Ruby Bliels and Whaleadons in JO while we're at it. ;)

Raven has nothing to do with the story. Lucasarts does that stuff and decides what will be in and what won't be. They can also choose what EU they'll use and what they won't...I don't think Lucasarts will use Yuuzhan Vong (whatever those are) because many people don't have a clue of what they are.

I thought Raven does have input on the story. It seems like I remember reading a q/a about JO where one of the Raven guys talked about coming up with the story early on. Of course LEC has oversight and approval, but I don't think they are inventing and providing the story to Raven.

i am pretty sure that Raven can in essence do whatever they want just so long as they clear it with Lucas Arts. obviously they can't have Luke die or whatever, but stuff like the reborns, etc.

but i think the most tehy could do is have a Yuuzhan Vong in disguise or something

From the JKII Team page on jediknightii.net

Game Design and Story:

Raven Software and LucasArts

As you can see Raven did the game design and Lucasarts did the story.

Jediknightii.net also has an interview with Mike Stemmle who wrote the script for Jedi Knight II...he works for Lucasarts and wrote the scripts for Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Sam and Max Hit the Road, Afterlife, and Escape from Monkey Island.

The problem with having the Vong as a game enemy is that they are (correct my if I'm wrong, since I don't read the NJO) more or less unaffected by the force. Having a game were players want to use cool force powers and then having an enemy you can't use them against would be as fun as watching paint dry.

Well, it's not IMPOSSIBLE. Just difficult.

Force powers that work on the Vong would be push (Anakin Solo and Ganner did it), choke (Tahiri tried to crush the Vong with their own air making it a different technique of choke but hey it works), rage (enhances one's own strength IIRC), lightening (Jaina and Jacen both used this), saber toss (Luke did this), and speed (for obvious reasons).

How will players deal with Yuuzhan Vong if the make an appearance??

I don't read the EU or NJO very much, but from what I know of it, the Yuuzhan Vong invaded the galaxy about 20 years or so after ROTJ. According to the opening blurb in JO, it was set only eight years after ROTJ. I've heard conflicting accounts of how long after JO JA takes place, but I doubt that it's as much as 12 years.

On the off chance that they do show up, I'll probably deal with them by whacking them over the head with a lightsaber.

To sum up...the most obvious problem is this:

WTF is Yuuschan Vhyoungz and what's the point in playing a JEDI in a STAR WARS universe when the opposition consists of who-the-hell-are-these-guys that on top of being "nobodys" are not affected by the force?

vehicular combat maybe, crush them under atst. but since they have shell armor like a shadowtrooper that takes little damage from lightsabers and blasters, itll just be a prolonged fight, and theyd make good opponents for lightsiders everytime they use bio weapons ud just use protect or heal, whereas a dark side has just offensive powers to deal with them which are useless. maybe they can be used near the end for the lightside missions :D

Oh god, please leave the Yuzhan Vong out of this. I stopped reading the SW EU books after the Black Fleet (or whatever it was) crisis took place because the books just had so little to do with the films I loved. Timothy Zahn's original three books were great, the next trilogy by Kevin Anderson was ok, and after that the books were fairly disappointing.

Now I hear that there's a new enemy, some biological, non-force enemy, the Jedi are split into different camps, main characters that I thought had EARNED a peaceful death get killed off, etc., etc., etc. It just sounds like so much crap to me, and I'd really rather not see these things show up in the games.

Plus, it'd be marketing suicide for Raven and LEC to actually do this. I think people would much rather slice up stormtroopers than evil self-mutilating wackos from beyond the outer rim. What the hell would be the point of that? To me, they just aren't Star Wars, and if I play a Star Wars game, I want a Star Wars experience. So, if the Yuzhan Vong were in the game, how would I interact with it?

Unless it's got fantastic multiplayer and I was back on DSL, put simply, I wouldn't.

Time to send Solo4114 a free copy of ... aw sh*t I can't even think of the name of a NJO book to finish a joke ...

The NJO - and the whole Vong thing - has sold a lot of books on the backs of the new movies, but seem quite divisive within the community. I read a few of the books. They were OK, but I never 'engaged' them - I never accepted their premise, I never let them into my view of any Star Wars Universe. And I think I'm far from alone in that ...

People have complained about JKII not being 'star-warsy' enough. The whole NJO reeks of Star Trek to me - this whole race of near indestructible anti-Borg (no-tech vs. all-tech) taking over the galaxy. Sure I've not followed it to its' conclusion - I couldn't take it any more.

I hope that the popular appeal of slicin' Stormies keeps LEC away from the NJO ... I'd rather they release the SDK and let some of the great mappers out there go to town.

Mike

Originally posted by Solo4114

To me, they just aren't Star Wars, and if I play a Star Wars game, I want a Star Wars experience. So, if the Yuzhan Vong were in the game, how would I interact with it?

I agree with you for 100% :D I never read any SW books, so I can't comment on the content of those books, but if most ppl who play these games haven't heard of this and that species, please leave it out :)

SW games are about the things you see in the movies, because that's what makes it a starwars game! If there are some similarities (sp?) with EU material; fine, but don't make it confusing for ppl who didn't read the books.

BTW, the main force using enemy you'll encounter in JA will be some kind of organisation, seeking control of the galaxy or something :rolleyes: I'm really curious about how they are going to make an interesting story this time :D Please don't screw up Raven!!

Originally posted by HertogJan

SW games are about the things you see in the movies, because that's what makes it a starwars game! If there are some similarities (sp?) with EU material; fine, but don't make it confusing for ppl who didn't read the books.

That's the thing - it isn't really about what was in the movies, because it is some years later, but it needs to maintain a connection to the movies in some way. KOTOR takes a few lines from Star Wars (aka ANH for those <32 or so ;)) mixes it with some EU and makes a compelling new universe. The thing is - it is still Jedi vs. Sith, which people get.

Vong? Wasn't that that game I played at my Uncle's house in ~1972 or something? Seriously - it is not an easy challenge to make a new story that features Dark vs. Light that people can get into, and thread it into the established EU. So you put in some EU references (the Jedi academy on Yavin, for instance) mixed with movie cameos (Lando).

Your last line says it - we've seen these Force Powers from the movies - don't mess with them for people who don't read the books.

Mike

Yeah, from what I heard, the Yuzhan-Vong thing IS pretty Star Trek and borg-esque. It just really seemed to get away from the true feeling of Star Wars.

I recognize that they needed to come up with something fresh because the Empire was basically dead, and you can only run the old "A new warlord seeks to gain absolute power" or "Planetary system X wishes to secede from the Republic" storyline so many times before it gets REALLY tired.

But what they came up with instead just sounds...WRONG. The force is supposed to affect every living creature in the galaxy. Even if that creature creates a bubble around it, like the ysalimiri, it's still affected by or affecting the force. The notion that the Vong are entirely outside it kind of destroys the concept of the force.

I have my own ideas about what would've made for a great story in the Star Wars universe's future AND would've stuck to the feel or at least the subject matter of the films, but that'd require getting a license from Lucasfilm, which they'd never give me, probably. :)

Well, unless you're reading all the extra stuff they periodically unearth by Tolkien, you must be running out of material or rereading the same stuff over and over. PM me if you're looking for some other good sci-fi/fantasy series. I've read a bunch of different stuff and would be happy to share ideas (though not in this thread, as it would take things WAY off topic).

"Now I hear that there's a new enemy, some biological, non-force enemy"

Yup,

"the Jedi are split into different camps"

That was a temporary plot thread, they never actually split, it was an ideological split, now repaired.

"main characters that I thought had EARNED a peaceful death get killed off, etc., etc., etc."

You don't "earn" a peaceful death just by fighting your entire life, if the world really does need you you keep fighting until all enemies are defeated or you die. Besides, you'd rather Chewie not fufill his life debt to Han? That's the whole point of the debt, that Chewie would give his life for Han and his family, him dying a peaceful death is a strike against the bond that held them together for so long.

"It just sounds like so much crap to me, and I'd really rather not see these things show up in the games."

Ah, so you've never actually read the books eh? Why listen to a reviewer when you can go to a library and find out for yourself?

Besides, lots of people hate Tim Zahn, that didn't keep Mara Jade or Noghiri out of Mysteries of the Sith.

The nice thing about fighting one (or two) Vong would be the challenge. It'd be more like fighting Dessan, unless you get insanely lucky, it's almost impossible for a someone without experience fighting Vong to kill them on the first strike. Their armor and weapons can withstand multiple saber blows. That'd be fun, as long as it wasn't TOO hard.

Originally posted by Anakin1607

The nice thing about fighting one (or two) Vong would be the challenge. It'd be more like fighting Dessan, unless you get insanely lucky, it's almost impossible for a someone without experience fighting Vong to kill them on the first strike. Their armor and weapons can withstand multiple saber blows. That'd be fun, as long as it wasn't TOO hard.

Well ok, fighting two Vong at a time as some kind of 'level boss' would be great. A non-force-weilding opponent like Gallak Fayar (eh.. sp?) was a nice change in JO :)

But they shouldn't give too much attention to those EU things :) I wanna recognize really starwarzy things :D

no, No, and NO!

The YV belong and only belong in the NJO, it would not only look ridiculous putting it into JA but also be the worst marketing strategy Raven has ever done. Too many people (1) don't know what the hell the YV, or (2) hate that they appeared in the Sta Wars universe, or (3) frankly don't care what they are that this game would only sell to the few hardcore SW fans, which is NOT what Raven is aiming for and wants. They want this game to sell to the mass public, to be playable and understandable to the common Joe or Bob down the street. In short, JA + YV = :barf:

Originally posted by Anakin1607

"Now I hear that there's a new enemy, some biological, non-force enemy"

Yup,

"the Jedi are split into different camps"

That was a temporary plot thread, they never actually split, it was an ideological split, now repaired.

"main characters that I thought had EARNED a peaceful death get killed off, etc., etc., etc."

You don't "earn" a peaceful death just by fighting your entire life, if the world really does need you you keep fighting until all enemies are defeated or you die. Besides, you'd rather Chewie not fufill his life debt to Han? That's the whole point of the debt, that Chewie would give his life for Han and his family, him dying a peaceful death is a strike against the bond that held them together for so long.

"It just sounds like so much crap to me, and I'd really rather not see these things show up in the games."

Ah, so you've never actually read the books eh? Why listen to a reviewer when you can go to a library and find out for yourself?

Besides, lots of people hate Tim Zahn, that didn't keep Mara Jade or Noghiri out of Mysteries of the Sith.

Well, I disagree. I don't like the notion of them. No, I haven't read the books, but then, I also haven't seen and don't intend to see 2 Fast 2 Furious. Not because of what some critic or reviewer said (since I often don't trust them anyway), but because the basic premise just doesn't sound terribly entertaining to me.

The same is true of the NJO books for me. I didn't actually read any reviewers' comments on the books. What I read was the stuff on StarWars.com about various characters when I got curious as to what was going on in the SW universe these days. I found out that we're dealing with anti-Borg (aptly named, by the way), main characters are dying, and the Force is basically useless. Sounds like crap to me, so I don't intend to read 'em.

I like to think of myself as a discriminating consumer, or at least one who knows his own tastes. I don't eagerly lap up everything Star Wars just because it has the brand name tacked on to it. It's got to actually evoke what I consider the Star Wars universe which, as far as I'm concerned, should not include the Force being useless or bio-tech sado-masichists.

Does it have to be the same old Empire vs. Rebels/Republic? Of course not, but if you're going to fling the stories into the future, at least have them hark back to the canon that created them. Fundamentally, my attitude about this stuff is a simple commandment: Thou shalt not screweth around (overly much) with the canon. I like innovation, but from the sound of it, these books are more about characters from the old universe being tossed into a new one, and that just doesn't cut it for me. Say what you will about Zahn's work, at least he captured the FEEL of the films better than anyone else in print.

As for characters earning a peaceful death, I don't mean that in the sense that the galaxy owes it to them or that I'd want to see them say "I'm getting too old for this sort of thing" and sit the conflict out. If they did that, they wouldn't be the heroes we've grown to love. What I am saying is that they have earned a peaceful death from the WRITERS whose families were fed and mortgages were paid for by these characters. I don't mind important characters in being killed off in a particular series (it didn't bug me in the latest Harry Potter book, for example), but this whole NJO experiment seems like it was concocted 1.) to generate money, and 2.) because they'd run out of ideas in the traditional Star Wars universe. When something like that happens, you do need to shake things up, but from the way it sounds, they shook the Star Wars right out of the books.

Anyway, regardless, I'd say they'd make for lousy game material. I suspect they're too esoteric for the vast majority of Star Wars fans. They sound like, while they'd be difficult opponents, they'd be so primarily because they break all the "rules" of the Star Wars universe. And frankly, they just don't sound that interesting to me. If I want the borg or something like it, I'll go play the Elite Force single player. So, if you want 'em, mod 'em. Otherwise, let's just stick with the classics, shall we?

Archived