Home

Broken Sword 3: a crapload of new screenies!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

11s.jpg

Notice how George's face tenses up

as he pushes a heavy object. Little touches

like this in-engine and in real time should go

a long way towards immersing players in the story.

Not that much more than what we already know.

....The Sleeping Dragon will be the first adventure game in the series (not counting the fairly recent GBA attempt -- The Shadow of the Templars) to include a direct control system implemented via a joypad or keyboard. In this respect, the game will play a little more like Resident Evil or Silent Hill in terms of controls.

Why is this such a big deal? For years now, PC gamers have been used to a point-and-click interface featured in games such as LucasArts' The Secret of Monkey Island series or Ubi Soft's Myst titles. Cecil believes that in order to keep gamers interested and to put a new spin on the genre, this change in needed. It frees up the game designers to add in much more interactivity with the environments and characters, plot development and ultimately gives the players an enhanced sense of participation -- something that might well have been lacking with the old point-and-clickers of yesteryear.

....Making the jump from 2D to 3D seemed like the logical solution to expanding the gameplay experience of The Sleeping Dragon. Using the new direct control system, George and Nico are able to conduct a much higher level of interactivity with their surroundings. In order make the game work on console systems as well as PC, the control system employs four context-sensitive buttons mapped on the joypad. Depending where the player moves the on-screen character a series of options become available.

....At the very beginning of the game, George finds himself trapped within a plane wreck somewhere in the jungles of the Congo. The situation is dire as the plane is precariously teetering over the edge of a high cliff. Exploring the fuselage reveals a large crate that can be moved and dragged around. In order to gain access to the cockpit, George needs to shift the weighty item towards the back of the fuselage to offset the load. The context sensitive buttons will changed from "examine" to "grab" to "push" all in the time that it's taken to perform this simple act. In a 3D environment, the traditional point-and-click system would simply not have sufficed.

A restricted camera system adds to the cinematic quality of the story and well-scripted voice-overs and facial animations make the characters of George and Nico all the more realistic.

Full preview, Gamespy, 8/19/03

Originally posted by Homoludens

11s.jpg

Looking at that Picture, it just occurs to me what an amazing job revolution have done with the graphics. At first glance I'd say thats too good to be a 3D picture, which just goes to show the level of artistic skill revolution have. I think I can safely say it look better than 1 and 2, and Broken Sword 3 done any other way would look inferior.

Well done Rev! Can't wait for BS3 and then the inevitable next adventuregame after BS3 is a success (I can't see it being anything else but)

(p.s. anyone else think bass2 is now a possibility?)

I'd like to see them go crazy with an original title after BS3. They can develop something completely fresh that's tailored to the new engine. After that, I think they should definitely consider making BASS2. Imagine those huge skyscrapers on the horizon with BS3's lighting effects. It could be awesome.

I have to say, this is honestly the first time I have ever been COMPLETELY satisfied with the look of a real-time 3D adventure. Now, that's not to say there isn't room to improve (obviously, there is), but for once I don't feel like I'm "settling" for sub-par graphics. Hell, I feel that way about many other real-time 3D games, adventure or not. Obviously, action games tend to get the most high-tech graphics at any given time, but I'll be damned if Revolution hasn't raised the bar a few miles. Every time I see a new screenshot, I have to tell myself again that "Yes, I am looking at an adventure game, not an action game, not an action-adventure game, not anything else. This is a pure adventure, and it looks goddamn BEAUTIFUL." Hats off to Revolution.

brokenswordpc_thumb015.jpgbrokenswordpc_thumb009.jpg

Another preview, from Gaming Click - this time focusing on gamepad controls for PC:

It must be noted that this if [sic] far from being a traditional point-and-click game, in 3D, thankfully, after the poor execution of the fourth Monkey Island title. Without wishing to sound biased, although inevitably I will, playing Broken Sword just feels “spot on”, in relation to what you are doing. I played The Sleeping Dragon on a PC, using a control pad similar in layout to the DualShock2. I noted the controls for using the keyboard as a controller, but I couldn’t test them, and hence wouldn’t know what it’s like to play using the standard PC control set-up. The following will most-likely be fitting for the console control method, in which movement is handled by the analogue or digital pads. George or Nico walk by default, but they can run by holding down a shoulder button. Usefully, if the aforementioned pad is released but the shoulder button is still held, the character will continue to run in the direction that they are facing. The inventory can by accessed and cycled through at the touch of a button, and it is straightforward to combine items.

A noteworthy addition to the genre (if one is available) is the use of context-sensitive buttons. These are mapped to the face buttons on the controller and their uses alter in accordance to how you can interact with a specific object. As an example, if you are hanging from a building, there would be options to climb up, or to drop down. These are then executed by pressing the relevant button. For the most part this system is practical and straightforward to use, although at times there is a loss of continuity between actions – at one time a certain button may be used to climb a wall, yet immediately after the same one is used to drop down from another wall. The use of these multi-task buttons is also fundamental in a novel idea to the series – action events. These are dispersed at specific points throughout the game and serve to interest and to make the player think on the spot. Similar in style to Shenmue’s QTEs, although you are not specifically told what to do, and are not meant to perform certain actions within split seconds of each other. You are usually trapped in a dilemma, yet have the relevant tools nearby for assistance, so it is up to the player to act accordingly within a certain time.

Full preview

Archived