Home

A game I play

RpTheHotrod

Natural-Selection. It's a halflife mod you can download for free. 2.0 was just released...so most screenshots, if not all, are out of date as of now.

It's an aliens vs marines type mod for halflife. As a commander, I'm able to drop buildings for my marines (other players) to build and weld together, give them waypoints, drop weapons, health, ammo, etc.

Here's my commander view (the top part where it shows resources and stuff is cut of to make the file size smaller)

post-1-1059891735.jpg

as for my marines, their view is just like Day of Defeats, except they can see the waypoints I give them on their screen.

Here is one of THEIR views (OLD version of game pic, and the minimap looks plain instead of 3dish like it is now)

rc5_ns_eclipse0032_8x6.jpg

rc5_ns_eclipse0086_8x6.jpg

Here's a screenshot of one of the alien's views.

rc5_ns_nancy0010_8x6.jpg

lotsa fun.

http://www.natural-selection.org

Wow RP that looks really cool! I heard about this a long time ago, but I stopped playing CS before 1.5 came out. I like the idea of building a starcraft game into a FPS. You couldn't do it the other way around.

*Goes and looks for his HL box set*

BTW, do you play any America's Army? It's the next step up from CS (sort of).

Here is pretty much the basis of the game.

Natural Selection is a modification of the hugely popular game Half-Life. Played strictly online by two teams, it features an innovative new style of game play sometimes referred to as 'First-Person Social Strategy'. This means that while many players can experience the familiar 'through the eyes of the character' mode, the action is guided and controlled by a god-like commander, who views the battle from a top-down camera. The action is designed to be as immersive to users as it is friendly to new players.

The fight is between two opposing forces: the hardened brotherhood of TSA 'Frontiersman' Marines, and the teeming hordes of alien creatures. Each team fights with different styles; the aliens better suited to individual achievement, have special characteristics, and evolve over the course of play into more threatening classes. The Marines are led by their Commander, using heavy firepower and coordination to make up for their physical inferiorities.

The innovative "commander mode" allows one Marine to play as the leader. The commander views the battle from above, managing the team's resources, purchasing equipment, building support structures and researching new technologies. A good commander cares about his teammates and can get them out of tough situations by giving alerts to the alien presence and providing escape routes. A good commander will also know when it's best to ignore screams for help and focus on the bigger picture...

Oh yeah, NS rules. I have been playing since the first week it was released. I just found out that 2.0 (1.1) was released. I will be downloading and installing tonight.

Its a 90 meg file I think. And from what I hear, there have been lots of changes. Resource system, nerfed some weapons. I need to start playing again.

I played it last night, one round with the marines, and one with the aliens. Won both rounds, good teamplay. Definitly some new changes that I will need to get used to, especially the aliens now, need to get used to that new resource system. Its a lot simplier now, but I honestly liked the old more complex system better. Tons of gorges all over the place. Lots of fun though. If I have some time, I will play a couple of hours on the weekend.

Archived