Home

Movie industry blames SMS for their bad movies.

You might think that Hollywood would blame the producers, directors and script writers for the bad movies they are making. No, they blame instant messaging so their marketing isn't as useful as it used to be.

http://news.independent.co.uk/digital/news/story.jsp?story=434778

No, the executives are not blaming such bombs as The Hulk, Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle or Gigli on poor quality, lack of originality, or general failure to entertain. There's absolutely nothing new about that.

The problem, they say, is teenagers who instant message their friends with their verdict on new films - sometimes while they are still in the cinema watching - and so scuppering carefully crafted marketing campaigns designed to lure audiences out to a big movie on its opening weekend.

"In the old days, there used to be a term, 'buying your gross,' " Rick Sands, chief operating officer at Miramax, told the Los Angeles Times. "You could buy your gross for the weekend and overcome bad word of mouth, because it took time to filter out into the general audience."

Hollywood sure is a strange place.

Are you saying bad movies are doing bad because people find out quicker than before how bad they are with SMS?:D

How stupid, if I SMS all my friends to tell them whats good and what is not and they FOLLOWED MY ADVICE then Jackie Chan and Bruce Campbell movies would be at the Nº1 of the charts...

:p

Originally posted by Curt

It should instill in them the need to produce more quality then, if that's the case.

Will it? NO! :rolleyes:

That sentence is quite original and interesting. But I don't quite see what it means. :p

Originally posted by ragou

That sentence is quite original and interesting. But I don't quite see what it means. :p

hehe!

Well, it could mean that maybe the movie producers, facing apparent reduced profits (not that many Hollywood movies actually make a loss), would then start to invest less money in their movies, possibly reducing the quality. But that's only if you believe that the more expensive movies are the best quality, which often they are not.

My heart bleeds when money-making movies bomb because they're just commercial bandwagons with no depth, character or quality and they get found out before people hand over their money. :rolleyes:

My estimate - expect lots of spam SMS in the future randomly distributed to your mobile phones expressing how good their movies are just prior to release. ;)

Originally posted by Curt

My estimate - expect lots of spam SMS in the future randomly distributed to your mobile phones expressing how good their movies are just prior to release. ;)

Yes, but they'll need to send a helluvalot SMS:s if they're going to get masses of people watching the movies (I wonder if they'll get reduced price for sending so many ;)). :)

Not even SMS could save Tomb raider 2 :r

My heart bleeds too, as I think of those poor underpaid hollywood movie stars and executives who are finding people are finally finding ways of avoiding crap films.

(P.S. I love the apparent logic of the Hollywood executive. It doesn't matter that the film is crap, it matters WHEN people find out its crap. Where would be without hollywood eh :) *)

*Probably leading happy lives in a utopian society of generosity and hope

Originally posted by DomStLeger

Not even SMS could save Tomb raider 2 :r

My heart bleeds too, as I think of those poor underpaid hollywood movie stars and executives who are finding people are finally finding ways of avoiding crap films.

(P.S. I love the apparent logic of the Hollywood executive. It doesn't matter that the film is crap, it matters WHEN people find out its crap. Where would be without hollywood eh :) *)

*Probably leading happy lives in a utopian society of generosity and hope

Is Tomb Raider that bad? I won tickets to the pre-screening! :eek:

Wait aren't we doing the same thing but in a internet forum?

Today at the 9:00 news Hollywood not only blames SMS for movies doing pootly but Web Forums too!:D

A Hollywood executive says "We must stop people from finding out that a movie sucks too soon! Therefore we will now SUE anybody who says a movie sucks before we have milked the cow!"

:p

Yes. For a while, they could use TV commercials, movie previews, and hand-in-pocket movie reviewers to lie to us, and now we've found some channels of truth.

But I still think it's just a ploy by the cellular companies to hype up SMS, which is sorely underutilized in the US (mostly because the rates are outrageous).

Originally posted by Homoludens

So basically, the corporate suits of Hollywood are pissed at us consumers because we've found a new way to outsmart them?

Not a hard thing to do is it...

And one day they will realise that it is Adventuregamers Forum that makes or breaks a film!

They could use SMS to their advantage and get a large group of people to assembly outside a designated point, say a large cinema theatre, then issue instructions to pay and enter the theatre, then all to sit down and watch the screen for, say, 98mins whereby the cinema will proceed to play the latest Hollywood blockbuster, Flash Gordon- The Accumulator (Part 7).

Hey, they could even give it a cool new name - Flashmobbing. :D

(or brainwashing :p)

Originally posted by Homoludens

audience: "Aaaaargggghhh!!!"

[flips out their cell phones, calls up all their friends, and tells 'em how bad that joke from Curt was]

No, no, no, they'll be texting all their friends. Because it's more convenient. You know. To press 9983325551333237770223222566223399. Much easier than talking. Technology is spectacular.

Originally posted by twifkak

No, no, no, they'll be texting all their friends. Because it's more convenient. You know. To press 9983325551333237770223222566223399. Much easier than talking. Technology is spectacular.

I really, really hope you didn't actually bother finding out what the sequence of numbers would be...

Archived