Early terrain for what will become

The Battle of Hoth, a Siege map for JA.

The objective is to make the closest possible

recreation of the Battle of Hoth, including

AT-ATs, snowspeeders, the full seven floors

of Echo Base (some are very small, like three

are just one room), and perhaps you'll even

see movie characters as NPCs, but I'm not

sure how I'd work that into gameplay. :)

.(scroll down please)

This is the older one only here for the sake of

labeling.

12297.jpg

Newer and expanded. Red areas well be removed, and I'm going to make the mountains less of a box shape.

12322.jpg

To get an idea of the scale, you can fit about four men sideways in the trenches.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not going to go "OMG Emonz MAP ROXORS PLZ CAN I BETA TEST?" because there isn't enough to show.

However this is a really ambitious project you're undertaking and I wish you every success in its completion, only thing that worries me is how are you going to get it as accurate as possible if you can get any NPCs in the level (I'm pretty sure you will though, you're a walking talking Jedi Knight Editing Database ;)) is the lag it might cause, especially if you can also get it to support 32 players, but I'm sure you will find a way.

Just a question regarding this:

Due to the battle at Hoth having so many objectives and whatnot in the movie (a.k.a., one task group's work was merely to take down the shields so bombardment/more troops could enter. Another group's work was to gain control of the base and especially the hangars, all that.)...

What do you see the objectives as being? (Is it going to be solely anti-AT-AT for the Rebs, or are they going to have to keep the base, too? Because in the movie, (I know, I know, this isnn't the movie, but I assume the walkers won't be very easy to take down) it didn't take too long to take out the generators. On the other hand, for the Imps to try to take the base may be a bit much, too.)

Oh, and BTW, love the idea and how it sees its way through to completion. If I had any skills at editing, I'd offer to help.

I'm not going to go "OMG Emonz MAP ROXORS PLZ CAN I BETA TEST?"

Please don't do that. Ever.

NPCs won't be a problem since JA already has NPCs in MP. Lag shouldn't be much of a problem either. It's just like having another player, less infact. If I decide to add a lot of NPCs, I will probably make it a scalable amount, so a really beefy server can have a lot of them. Maybe automate it by making the amount of NPCs proportional to the maxrate set on the server.

I see primary objectives for Imperials like this:

1. Break through the main Rebel defense line.

2. Take out the shield generator so reenforcements can land.

3. Override the blast doors on either entrances.

4. Seize the command center.

And secondary objectives like this:

1. Destroy/disable the ion cannon. Perhaps doing so will increase the amount of reenforcements you get?

2. Destroy/disable the power plant, which would take down the ion cannon, and the lights inside the base. I think it would be awesome to run around inside Echo Base when it's running on backup power. :)

3. Prevent Rebels from escaping. I think it would be cool if, once the Imperials seize the command center, they win, but the game doesn't end. It might be cool for the Rebels to try to escape to get some extra points, and the opposite for the Imperials. :)

And of course, Rebels' objectives are to stop Imperials from doing the above. I very well may think of more secondary objectives, probably of little importance, when I start the inside of the base.

Originally posted by Emon

Please don't do that. Ever.

Touched a nerve did I? Don't worry I won't ever do that purely on the principle that most fan based beta tests aren't done well at all; mostly people who want to try the level before anyone else and end up playing it willy-nilly, not testing each module in isolation, not using extreme or erroneous data to provoke failure etc, and the only feedback they send is yeah this is great works fine; you end up releasing it; someone tries it differently and what do you know, your making version 1.1, when you thought you done a good jobs work.

You're best off doing your own Alpha-Test, with the people who helped you create the level; that way you'll all take pride in making your level the best it is.

Anyway you should have a look at the Hoth Level on Force Commander, it was poorly done from a gamer's point of view, but it may provide a source of inspiration.

Just a suggestion though I think it would be cool if the Tauntans with players mounted could scout Hoth, and be able to report back to the team members; that would really give it a tactical edge, it would be pretty easy to do if those Radio messages are implemented into seige, or if not well just chat to team members; I'm sure Snowtrooper's could ride Speeder Bikes and do the same thing to the Rebels.

The main objectives sound good though; it also shows you've really planned this out well. :)

Actually it was more the "OMG EMONZ MAP ROCKZ!!!" thing. I hate excessive fanboy style praise. If you really wanted to help test, I wouldn't mind if you asked, provided I trust you enough and know you well.

Thanks for those suggestions. I got this layout from a more official source, so I won't need to check FC, especially when I don't have it. I doubt it does much with the interior, which is what I need more info on.

Basically the idea is to setup the Battle of Hoth from the movies at the very start. Imperials will be far up in the North Ridge, and the Rebels will have to setup the defenses. The idea is that the game will take it from there, and can either play out as the Rebels holding off the Imperials at the North Ridge, falling back to the command center, or end up retreating. And of course, in the interest of balance, the Imperials won't always win.

"Echo station 3TA! We've spotted Imperial Walkers!"

"--Imperial Walkers on the North Ridge...!"

Hmmm...isn't one of the defaul JA Siege maps Echo Base? Still, a very ambitious project, I hope you can get it to work well. I didn't know you could have NPC's in JA multiplayer...legions of Stormtroopers and brave armies or Rebel Hoth troops, with blaster bolts flying everywhere, would make this quite a sight to behold.

How's this for objectives...?

Rebel:

Primary

- Allow at least x transports to escape

- Allow Millenium Falcon to escape

Secondary

- Destroy Imperial Walkers

Imperial:

Primary

- Destroy the shield generator

- Take the Command Center

Secondary

- Destroy Anti-Infantry and Anti-Vehicle laser batteries

- Destroy the Ion Cannon

You should definitely implement some method for the Rebels to take out the Walkers (at least temporarily)...perhaps you could have a driveable snowspeeder and script conditions that an AT-AT blows up if the speeder circles it twice?

It'll be interesting to see the Rebels win this battle. ;) That gives me an idea...I wonder if a sort of 'Kobiyashi Maru' scenario could be made, where one side could be utterly destroyed, but scored on how well they did before dying? For instance, this game continues until the Imperials overrun Echo Base, but if enough transports escaped, they fail in their primary objectives and the Rebels still win.

There were some ESB cut scenes where a "prison cell" full of captured Wampas (apparently enticed by R2's whistling) was stumbled upon by some snowies, thanks in part to 3PO. :D

Though I realise this project is ambitious enough as it is, it would make an interesting "easter egg" to have that room of Wampa NPCs ready to attack anyone who stumbled into the cell.

Some references for these cut Wampa scenes are here;

http://www.angelfire.com/ct3/empirethrone/empirelostscenes.html

http://www.starwars.com/databank/creature/wampa/bts.html

http://www.dsuper.net/~ymorin/ESBcut.html

http://wso.williams.edu/~rfoxwell/starwars/CutPics1.htm

Also, you are probably aware, but there's a good Snowspeeder prefab for JO about. I think this was the one I saw (images are down, so it's hard to tell);

http://www.jedioutcastmaps.com/file.php?id=445

There's a mirror here;

http://www.filefront.com/r.b/page__category_list/_filepath__/gamingfiles/Jedi_Knight_II/Maps/Prefabs/_clear__page,filepath/_output.html

You know, it would be good to be able to open that Wampa door remotely.

If the control room had a video camera and a switch for that door, whoever had posession of the control room could open the door as the enemy entered the adjoining corridor.

I doubt it does much with the interior, which is what I need more info on.

I have 4 pages scanned into 2 JPGs from "Star Wars Fact Files" on Echo Base, with movie stills, concept paintings, lots of info in the text, plus a pretty good map of the main hangar bay (and the overall location map you've obviously based your (great looking) render on.

Emon, if you want me to send you the 2 scans (JPGs, ~1400x1000) let me know, email is the most convenient for me, even with my inbox clogged up with damn SOBIG generated emails, both with the attachment and bounced mails from virus emails spoofed with my domain. :mad:

I'm still looking around for other interior plans - maybe the RPG books would be a good source?

I can get you a temporary FTP account at my friend's site, and you can upload them there. I'd really prefer to keep away from e-mail if you have SoBig problems, I haven't gotten any of them yet, and I'd rather not get any.

Originally posted by jp-30

There were some ESB cut scenes where a "prison cell" full of captured Wampas (apparently enticed by R2's whistling) was stumbled upon by some snowies, thanks in part to 3PO. :D

Though I realise this project is ambitious enough as it is, it would make an interesting "easter egg" to have that room of Wampa NPCs ready to attack anyone who stumbled into the cell.

The second level of Shadows of the Empire takes place inside Echo Base and includes the Wampa rooms. Not sure if you can find it for PC but it is easily found for N64 on eBay. Might be worth consulting, at least for some ideas.

Originally posted by Emon

I can get you a temporary FTP account at my friend's site, and you can upload them there. I'd really prefer to keep away from e-mail if you have SoBig problems, I haven't gotten any of them yet, and I'd rather not get any.

I don't have the virus, and I don't use Outlook/Outlook express which is what it uses to propagate. But my domain is being spoofed by it because I must be on an infected user's address book.

Anyway, no problem, I'll upload the images to a work site & PM you the URLs when I get home tonight. When you've saved them, let me know & I'll remove them. :)

Originally posted by jp-30

Anyway, no problem, I'll upload the images to a work site & PM you the URLs when I get home tonight. When you've saved them, let me know & I'll remove them. :)

Been away for 3 days. Will sort this out later tonight for you.

Archived