Home

Am I the only one....... ("expansion" vs. "true sequel")

rut-wa jodar

Originally posted by Excelsion

To be honest, he's only said what all the mags have already said.

For the most part, yes, and I've really not said much of anything because of that. I made a joking comment about him 'revealing too much' ... in which I indicated that he had made it clear he had played the full game, and really wouldn't be here talking about it had he been in an authorized position to do so.

This morning I got upset as he took the light side/ dark side thing further than had been revealed anywhere else. As an example - for JKII we all knew that 'something happens' to make you seek out Force and lightsaber. So saying that is not a spoiler. But if he said 'Jan gets killed by the baddie' ... that's be a spoiler - even if he didn't reveal the name of the baddie.

And perhaps it should be Lucasarts adressing the illegality of this matter, not us.

Yes, I agree - but I think we should, as a community of which I'm a member (not a mod or admin, just a member), expect our fellow members to behave with certain respect for the basis of the community and the other members of that community.

Mike

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get it...... unnamed was banned outright for an obscure implication that he *might* have seen or played the illegal beta, but here we have this Master William fellow flaunting spoiler information on the game when we don't want to hear about it. He's basically admitted to having the beta and he's still posting here? Hello, why is this picture crooked? Perhaps someone ought to straighten it out.

Sorry for the rant and rave but it cheezed me off.....

Originally posted by Khier Serakk

banned outright ... He's basically admitted to having the beta and he's still posting here?... Perhaps someone ought to straighten it out.

See ... I don't want anyone banned or kicked or whatever. I want everyone to contribute in a positive manner. Unnamed, for instance, had some intelligent things to say, so it is too bad that had had to get banned (based on his own actions, I'll say). I hope that people with 'illicit knowledge' will exercise restraint for respect for the community, but also so they can stay part of it.

Mike

For gods sake, must I post a screenshot to proove that I DO NOT HAVE THE BETA! It is not a beta for heavens sake! And I will buy the game for the Multiplayer part.

And again, I don't have beta, say it again and I'll spam your PM inbox. :cool:

EDIT: And again, you are being ignorant! What I have posted can be found in magazines, sites, well, you get it.

The following can be spoilers, as some people said so, so I'll just hide it.

I said that you can choose dark or light path, that's all.

I also said that something you do in the game affects which path you choose. I also answered the question ''Can you have your hilt attached to your belt?'' I answered it, is that a spoiler? He wanted to know the answer, I gave him the answer.

But sure go ahead ban me, it's not like I would die.

Originally posted by Master William

For gods sake, must I post a screenshot to proove that I DO NOT HAVE THE BETA! It is not a beta for heavens sake!

Posting a screenshot would prove you have the full version, which is just as illegal. So post away if you wish, and say hello to the Activision lawyers! I'm sure mom and dad would love that :D

And I will buy the game for the Multiplayer part.

Uh, what difference does that make?

EDIT: And again, you are being ignorant! What I have posted can be found in magazines, sites, well, you get it.

Immaterial. You are posting about having the game before it has been released. Whether it is the full version or beta version is irrelevent. Having either at this point (before official release) is illegal.

The following can be spoilers, as some people said so, so I'll just hide it. [spoiler snipped]

Please read this board's policy, I quote:

"People posting "warez" related threads, discussing where to get it or asking how, or bragging about it, will be dealt with swiftly and severely (this includes links, information, screenshots, files, whatever... AND posting "spoilers" taken from the illegally leaked beta). To our honest and loyal members, I call on you to report immediately any such behavior you see that breaks these rules. Your help is appreciated. This also applies to our irc chatrooms. Members there that break the rules on warez may find themselves kicked or banned, perhaps indefinately.

The game is set for release this Fall (the week of September 17 is the latest figure given). Anyone claiming to have the game before that date, (who is not a member of the press or a Raven/LA employee of course) will automatically arouse our suspicion."

You are doing exactly this. You say you have posted spoilers and have an illegal copy of the game before it has been released. Mike is not trying to be a "jerk". He is rightfully trying to prevent people from posting about illegal copies of the game, and he has be polite enough in expressing that. But you have not. Calling people jerks and ignorant makes you sound like a 14 year old. Just follow the forum rules, and there is no problem at all :)

But sure go ahead ban me, it's not like I would die.

:rolleyes:

And again, I don't have beta, say it again and I'll spam your PM inbox. :cool:

I have never said you have the beta. I implied it once, you corrected me that you obtained a copy of the full version from someone, and I stood corrected.

And I don't believe I'm being ignorant, truly. What you just did - putting info in spoiler tags - is all I really ever asked. Some things you said could only be learned by playing the game, and have not been in any of the previews listed here - I know because I've been keeping a close eye.

Originally posted by Prime

Mike is not trying to be a "jerk". He is rightfully trying to prevent people from posting about illegal copies of the game, and he has be polite enough in expressing that.

Thanks, Prime. I just want out of all of this pre-release crap ... it is exhausting and ennervating ... I just want to be free to look at threads without constantly seeing 'no its gonna be like this I know coz I played it' ...

Mike

Well, I shouldn't be guilty (and stop flaming me btw) because HE gave me a version I thought was real, he said ''Hey man, guess what?'' I said what ''You know the game Jedi Academy?'' I said ''Yes?'' ''I have it!'' I asked him: ''How? The game is not even released unless you got it from warez or something?'' He says ''No no, I got it from a gaming magazine I am working at!''

I asked ''Which one is that? Sounds cool'' he just ignores that question and goes on how good it is, etc, and I let him install it, I guess he put a sticker or something on the CD, because it looks like it COULD JA, but it probably isn't.

So, he installs it, and lets me borrow it.

You now say that it is illegal, and that I will get my ass sued off. He let me borrow it (his suggestion) and I did. I played it, and tell people I got it, and get flamed and threatened, etc.

How was I supposed to know it's illegal? I'll just uninstall and give the CD back and never trust him again, and buy the game.

I am after all starting a clan for JA, so I will buy the game.

So the question is, do I really have some illegal warez **** installed on my computer, or not?

I will however return it, since only the fact that I have it is illegal, it seems.

*starts process*

EDIT: Ok, I returned it, and got really mad at him for almost getting me into troubles with illegal stuff, after all, I never download games at all, I always buy them or burn them.

It's uninstalled and returned, so don't worry, and again - I will buy it because I will have a clan for it (clansite already made by me :) )

So, don't bother anymore, I apologize to all who got mad at me, or disliked the way I got the game, talked about it, etc. I just couldn't resist, seeing you guys talking about stuff I already knew.

Ah well. It's all forgotten now, I'll see you later ;)

Okay...this bickering stops here. If you want to snipe at each other over who said what, and who has access to what, take it to PM's or instant messaging. There's no place for it here.

Master William...I don't care if you have the beta, the full version, a warez version, or whatever else you have...don't post about it in these forums, and don't ruin other people's speculation about the game by confirming or denying things.

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you made a genuine mistake, but if I see any more posts like these you will be instantly banned.

For everyone else...let's just cool off and get back to the topic at hand, shall we? :cool:

Originally posted by Andy867

but its not an expansion since there is a whole new storyline. The only reference to Kyle Katarn is teh fact that he is in it as a jedi instructor.

im not saying that it IS an expanision pack, just that i will wait until i have played it to find out. However, the new character thing actually makes it more like an expansion pack (MotS, Opposing Force, Blue Shift etc...) rather than a proper sequel (JK3) which WOULD have kyle katarn in it. :D

Master William, all is forgiven :D

Originally posted by toms

im not saying that it IS an expanision pack, just htat i will wait until i have played it to find out. However, the new character thing actually makes it more like an expansion pack (MotS, Opposing Force, Blue Shift etc...) rather than a proper sequel (JK3) which WOULD have kyle katarn in it. :D

I sort of view it as not really being a part of the Dark Forces series at all, since it isn't about Kyle. So in that respect, I think it is a completely new game, as it is really starting a new storyline about a different character...

heh, you know what would be cool... the next proper JK game could include your character from JA.... either as an ally on the lightside or a baddy on the darkside.... the game could just scan your hd for JA saved games and pull out the details from that....

Originally posted by Obi-Wan X

I have a feeling that JA will be the last dark forces game we see for a good while...

I think you might be right...but only in the context that I expect any further games in the series to utilise a better engine. That in itself will most likely extend any development time for a sequel.

Now, if I was going to make the 'smart move', I would do what Gas Powered games have done with Dungeon Siege. They are going to release a pretty large expansion pack for the original DS (contracted out to Mad Doc Software), while they are working on Dungeon Siege 2.

So maybe Lucasarts should consider releasing an expansion pack for Jedi Academy, using the same engine...while working on another in the series using a new engine.

Of course...we should not forget that Lucasarts are currently working on the FPS game Republic Commando, which utilises the Unreal engine - so we will certainly have a 'dark and gritty' FPS to keep us occupied while any further developments are made for the JK series.. ;)

Originally posted by StormHammer

Now, if I was going to make the 'smart move', I would do what Gas Powered games have done with Dungeon Siege. They are going to release a pretty large expansion pack for the original DS (contracted out to Mad Doc Software), while they are working on Dungeon Siege 2.

Or what EA and Dice are doing with Battlefield:1942. They have just released an expansion (which is good, I just got it today), while they work on Battlefield: Vietnam.

If Lucasarts did something like this, it would stop people posting threads on these forums like "Rumour! JK4 announced!" and such. If Lucasarts released an expansion for JA and some easy to use editing tools, like the Neverwinter Nights Toolset (which is incredibly easy to use), I wouldn't complain and I, I'm sure many others would too, be prepared to wait a long time for a JA expansion.

JA is a sequel. Not an expansion, not a "True Sequel", just a sequel.

Well, a lot of mappers found JeRadiant and QeRadiant with JK2 support to be easy.. It just takes some time getting used to and the learning curve involved. Moddelling is a little more complicated since you have to wrap it up and worry about clipping and the way it clips and such but enough ppl seemed to be able to grasp it, even those new to making models since there was such a high turn-out of models for Outcast. So if Raven releases JA support since they used the game level editor for Academy as they did for Outcast, I don't see why it would be hard to get just as many maps, and also make maps compatible with Academy that were used in outcast.

Archived