Home

Clomp clomp clomp

only1kenobi

I hope we don't hear that awful clomp clomp clomp we heard in the first trailer when your character walks on snow! Different footstep sounds on different surfaces have been around since Blood 1, but Jedi Outcast only had the clomp clomp sound everywhere! And judging from the trailer, so does Jedi Academy...

I guess it's been too long, but I swore that JK2 had different sounds for footsteps on different surfaces.

Hmmf. Even JK1 had that...

One thing that got me though was the sound effects for falling bodies. JK1 had different appropriate sound effects for enemies when they fell over (thumps and thuds). Droids for example gave a metallic "clank" when they fell, whereas Stormtroopers and Mandalorians gave a clatter (the sound their armor makes when it hits the floor). This in contrast to JK2 which only had the sickenly "splat" sound for bodies (and since most of your enemies were Stormtroopers it just sounded a little off to me).

Minor, minor quibble, but if they were that pressed for time, they could have just ported over the old JK1 sounds... they were just wav files, and they added another subtle bit of detail to the game.

There's always mods I guess... ; )

Originally posted by Kurgan

I guess it's been too long, but I swore that JK2 had different sounds for footsteps on different surfaces.

I'm pretty sure it did (can't fire itt up now to check)

I remember:

- metallic clomps when walking inside.

- 'scuff' sounds on stone

- different 'scuff' sound on the temple grounds

- definitely diffferent in shallow water.

Mike

Well I think there's a maximum of 3 footstep sounds, the clomp clomp, the splash and the metallic clomp clomp... and there were areas with grass and soil in JO. Which should have given you "crunch" sound...

I heard the clomp clomp in the JA video trailer when the character walks away from his x-wing on hoth, and I hope that's not in the game! And like Kurgan said, different thuds for falling bodies!

I'm also sure there were several different surface sounds in JO. And we should note that the first trailer of JA was made of an earlier build of the game than what we'll be getting. Even an earlier build than of what was displayed in the second trailer. So I'm quite sure that's been fixed by now. Have some more faith in Raven, don't join the "We didn't even play the game yet but we're going to trash it already anyway" crowds

I'm not trying to trash the game, sorry if that's the way I'm coming across - I wouldn't even mind terribly if there was only 1 footstep sound on all surfaces, because from what I've seen so far everything else would make up for it, it just came to mind this morning and it was one thing I'd hoped had been changed, but if not, it's not the end of the world. :)

There's different falling sounds in JO. If you kill an Imperial officer, he does the "splat" sound mentioned by Kurgan. If Stormtroopers were killed, however, their falling sound was more of a "clank" because of their armor. What's wierd about JO is that you can only hear footsteps if it's in third person. (in SP. I realize you can hear it in MP) JK was good for body sounds, I must admit. Especially if your character fell from a great height. It sounds like it hurts with that sickening "CRUNCH!" instead of merely grunting, as is the case in JO. I hope they bring back the JK impact for JA.

Well, in Jedi Outcast, there was a flag you could set (as an editor, I mean) in a shader which would change the footstep sound. There are several flags for different surfaces, but I can't remember them right now.

The problem in JO is that if you switch to 3rd person view, it always uses the same footstep sound, so that even when you may hear 'clang clang clang' in 1st person, you'll still hear the 'clomp clomp clomp' in 3rd person. Hopefully they've fixed this, as most of the game is probably going to be spent in 3rd person view.

Just because of the anal-retentive loser I am ;) I looked inside the PK3 file.

I found:

- 38 footstep sounds, including several different types and walk/run differences.

- ~9 body falling sounds

I just needed to check the footsteps ... at least my memory serves well.

That doesn't mean JKII was perfect - in SoFII I found the crunch on snow very satisfying (hope they use that one!) and in the labs you walk on broken glass to a 'crunch, crunch' sound - again very good.

Mike

Originally posted by txa1265

Just because of the anal-retentive loser I am ;) I looked inside the PK3 file.

I found:

- 38 footstep sounds, including several different types and walk/run differences.

- ~9 body falling sounds

I just needed to check the footsteps ... at least my memory serves well.

That doesn't mean JKII was perfect - in SoFII I found the crunch on snow very satisfying (hope they use that one!) and in the labs you walk on broken glass to a 'crunch, crunch' sound - again very good.

Mike

It appears that most of those 38 footstep sound weren't used- I just played the game last night to make sure I hadn't gone mad, and skipped to random levels to check it. On the Yavin Swamp level, if you're playing in 3rd person - even if you run through water, you still hear clomp - clomp sounds, along with the splashing water sounds.

Originally posted by txa1265

Mike

Yes, I totally agree. They should definitely include those sounds where appropriate - little nuances add a great deal to immersion.

Hearing the appropriate sound for footsteps on different materials is important...as are death animations, etc. This is one of the reasons why I can't wait for Deus Ex: Invisible War, which focuses a great deal on the sound in addition to the graphics.

It's just a matter of assigning particular sounds to particular materials - and building up an appropriate sounds database.

Originally posted by only1kenobi

It appears that most of those 38 footstep sound weren't used- I just played the game last night to make sure I hadn't gone mad, and skipped to random levels to check it. On the Yavin Swamp level, if you're playing in 3rd person - even if you run through water, you still hear clomp - clomp sounds, along with the splashing water sounds.

Never occured to me , perhaps something's odd with your copy of the game? Just a thought.

IIRC, the footsteps were fine for me in JK2 SP.

The "body falling splat sound" however was the same regardless of who it happened to, sadly. : (

Well, anyway, if you check out the demo, you'll see the thread starter got his wish.

You can turn off the footsteps sound, or you can turn it on, and exand it several levels to include effects (kick up dust, leave footprints in the snow, whatever)!

Thanks Raven!

Archived