Home

What's Better? Dual Sabers, Saberstaff, or Single Saber (Spoilers)

poochi

...Which saber do you like best? I prefer the Saberstaff because all the twirling moves and kicks rock. I also played the Jedi tomb level (can't remember the name) and did much better with the staff against other jedi, but dual sabers against nonsaber enemies.

And also, how do polls work? (I'm obviously new)

I prefer the saber staff because of all of the kicking and i love that butterfly attack and the spinning attack that is executed the same way as lunge is. And i like disabling one end and using just yellow stance. Hopefully i will be able to trick some people in multiplayer when i start fighting with one and then bust out the other blade. :)

***Disclaimer*** Ok first of all of these points are my personal perspective and beliefs of the game if you don’t like them please don’t flame me ….

Well after playing the demo more hours than I'd like to tell, I'd say that their really pushing the saber staff as the...

"Holy Jedi Killer" Staffs in history have been used to fight more than one enemy, so its prob the best in SP in multiple Jedi fighting, and in MP will probably serve to be the lightsaber of choice in FFA settings. But IMHO it will 80% of the time, loose to a duel saber user…

The Single Saber Has its uses as the ultimate Swiss Army Knife, whatever the situation you can win with it. It has many uses and in MP Dueling it will be one of the two main powers in 1 vs 1 fighting, It has the most “Moves, Specials, Katas” of the three saber types. A master has an arsenal of 3+ Katas [spoiler… the + is for what I believe to be the secret Katas… play the demo on hard to see the AI use them], several force stabs and a plethora, yes plethora [i like the word], of tactical attacks ranging in speed and power. There is so much to talk about here but I’ll leave it at that.

In the Dueling arena there is no first place winner there are two “First place winners” the second first place winner is the “Duel Saber User”. The English, back in the day, usually used two weapons when they dueled, it gave them an incredible advantage, usually they would use a medium one handed sword like a Rapier, and their second would usually be a long dagger or short sword used for paring or stabbing a.k.a. “death blowing”. In academy, the two lighsabers work independently but they rely on each other to set one another up in attacks and parries, and I could ramble on but I’ll just move to MP.

In Academy the duel lightsaber duelist in DUEL MP games IMHO will win 80% Against midlevel single lightsaber users and advanced light staff users and 60% Against advanced single lightsaber users and master light staff users.

So here’s the rundown

1. For War type of settings FFA etcetera the light staff is King

2. For tactical advantage in any situation especially Siege and lesser in duel the Single Blade is King

3. And for dueling one on one and sometimes one on two [no more], such as duel or team duel, the duel lightsaber user is King

Hope this helped,

-VanishingVision

I said I would go for the Dual Sabers first, and I have. I'm starting to learn them.

Granted, there was something nice about the simplicity of the cuts with the single saber and the variety of stances (and I haven't used the Saberstaff much... did you know you can make it have two different blade colors? and it has 5 different hilts too!), but I just like the dual blades and as I get better at them, I enjoy them even more.

We don't know of course what tweaks and subtle differences there will be in MP in the full version, so I will reserve judgement on that until I can play it first hand.

But for SP it looks like this is a legit choice.

One thing about the saberstaff though, I pulled an enemy Mercenaries weapon away and got him boxed in a corner, then I proceeded to "kick" him over and over with the Saberstaff stance (front and back kicks). He fell over dozens of times, but it never seemed to be able to kill him. So I just finished him off. I wonder if they kicks do zero damage, or just certain enemies are more resistant to them (they get knocked down and yell in protest, but don't die from them)?

In the Dueling arena there is no first place winner there are two “First place winners” the second first place winner is the “Duel Saber User”. The English, back in the day, usually used two weapons when they dueled, it gave them an incredible advantage, usually they would use a medium one handed sword like a Rapier, and their second would usually be a long dagger or short sword used for paring or stabbing a.k.a. “death blowing”. In academy, the two lighsabers work independently but they rely on each other to set one another up in attacks and parries, and I could ramble on but I’ll just move to MP.

In Academy the duel lightsaber duelist in DUEL MP games IMHO will win 80% Against midlevel single lightsaber users and advanced light staff users and 60% Against advanced single lightsaber users and master light staff users.

So here’s the rundown

1. For War type of settings FFA etcetera the light staff is King

2. For tactical advantage in any situation especially Siege and lesser in duel the Single Blade is King

3. And for dueling one on one and sometimes one on two [no more], such as duel or team duel, the duel lightsaber user is King

I assume that's pure speculation on your part. Or do you honestly think you can compare combat the limited AI dark jedi & mercs we've see in the demo and extrapolate that to MP in the full version (and accounting for any subtle differences between the two versions, etc)?

No offense and not trying to flame, just curious.

I think a lot of people are already lashing out (as they have before) against the Dual Sabers and Saberstaff (especially the Saberstaff) because they percieve them to be "fanboy stances" rather than true gameplay options (Ie: "I B Dark Mall wit his dubble saber!!!11").

Now, for right now (not having mastered it by far) the Saberstaff appears to be all cheap kicks and fancy "combos" while being good for blocking and covering a wider area (fighting multiple opponents) I can't say how that will gel in a multiplayer context where you have all sorts of people with all sorts of weapons and combined force+guns+saber tactics.

The point is for the Dual Sabers and Double Saber to be more powerful in SP...at least against a single saber WITH ONLY ONE STANCE. It's rather logical- if you're good enough to have a staff or a second saber, you must be a better overall saberist, OR a less rounded saberist. I HOPE that in MP the point is for them to be balanced. I also think an an intelligent player with a sinlge saber will beat "D4RTH M4UL11111111" 99 times of 100. :p

The saber staff has some really good combos and special moves. I'm not downing it in SP but in MP, that's another story. In an MP server about 90% of saber users will have the saber-staff, wich is basicaly the only reason i don't like it, it will become a trend to all the people who are brand new to the jedi knight scene. I may use it once or twice but i personaly feel it will put a damper on the fun in ffa's since everyone will be running around with the staff. I mean, we all remember when servers had mods for the saber staff in JO, pure chaos.

Well the thing is, if everybody has the saber staff, then that is actually an advantage for non-staff users.

Why?

Well, its a little like the Strong Stance in JK2. If a bunch of people use nothing but, they often fall victim to tactics from the other two stances, because their tactics are "over-optimized" for fighting other people who use Strong Stance exclusively.

Sure, they may get good at the staff, but you'll always have your area of expertise to throw a monkey wrench into their over-optimized strategy.

I could always get the staff and show them how it's done. :) In JO i'm supreme with Medium (Yellow) stance. I don't like the double sabers cause it doesn't have a great kata. The Katas bail you out when you're surrounded by multiple enemies. All the double saber stance is good for is the dual twirl, it has no real good moves.

***Disclaimer*** Ok first of all of these points are my personal perspective and beliefs of the game if you don’t like them please don’t flame me ….

It really says something about how sorry this forum is when people feel that they have to say this before a post.

Anyway, back on topic. I personally like the single saber, blue stance the best. Simple, elegant and effective.

Single saber will easily be balanced against the new, since red stance breaks through anything, I think you should avoid the hits and swings from the others and then quickly side swing with red, like in JK2.

Because I know that in JK2 that did some nice effect if you knew how to do it, it should easily be good in this game too.

I hope so, atleast.

Originally posted by Taran'atar

It really says something about how sorry this forum is when people feel that they have to say this before a post.

Maybe he was simply aware that he's making broad, sweeping and unfounded generalizations and wanted to cover his ass?

Single saber will easily be balanced against the new, since red stance breaks through anything, I think you should avoid the hits and swings from the others and then quickly side swing with red, like in JK2.

Please God, no. If red is as powerful as it was before, everything about the single saber will be as unbalanced as ever.

I suspect that the double and dual saber will cost you something to use in MP - whether that be points to buy force powers, or reduced weaponry, I don't know. Why I think this, is because Raven seems to be aware of the new saber's superiority as you get them late in the game. A shot in the dark, yes, but hopefully this will be the case if the weapons indeed are this unbalanced.

Or maybe I'm just whining before even having tried the game, but it's curious that the doublesaber gets infinite twirly moves, kicks, a smattering of specials and the option to turn it into a single saber, while the single saber gets nothing in return.

Perhaps Raven want us all to use only double/dualsaber? :confused:

I prefer the dual sabers because it feels more flexible.

If one blade flies out of your hand, you aren't defensless (unlike the single saber).

The dual saber twirl does a great job at getting through the defenses. With the saberstaff twirl, you're lucky if you can get past the tip of the opponent's saber.

The Katas bail you out when you're surrounded by multiple enemies. All the double saber stance is good for is the dual twirl, it has no real good moves.

The saberstaff kata will not bail you out if you're surrounded. Your enemies just have to back up and wait 'till your done, then do a rolling stab. The single saber katas leave your backside open.

The dual saber kata provides mildly ranged defense on all sides.

oh, please, fine. You will see for yourself that single saber will easily dominate the others, and the others dominate single.

It just depends on your skills. They didn't make it like it would be in real life, that somebody with a single loses against somebody with something more ''advanced'', like a dual or double-bladed lightsaber.

It is probably balanced, but I suspect that you have to change your tactics against them, like doing DFA's or avoiding their powerful attacks and swings.

-Jedi:

-In the SP of JO, light stance dominated. Its amazing lunge-stab move, abused backstab move, and unmatched, unhindered mobility gave Katarn the ability to dodge attacks and then strike with impunity. It's better to live to fight another day, i.e. get sure-fire hits in with light and dodge the oppononents.

-But WOW, in multiplayer, was that stance abused. I played and beat JO on Jedi Master using only Medium, including the Final Battle, and I got a lot of satisfaction out of it. Of all the stances, Medium Stance was the one most hindered/ignored in MP, but I still used it and still beat other players with it. Why? Because I had the skill to adapt.

-Long story short: Those who have the skill and practice with their weapon will win. They will simply fight with their opponent's weakness in mind and as that changes so will their tactics.

-Best of luck...

Personally, I favor the single saber. Why? Because it has a larger variety of moves and I find that the single's kata is the most useful. (But hey, what do I know? I rarely used saber swings as an FF dueler in JK2)

With the dual sabers, no one is going to stand there waiting for you to finish your kata or walk into it. They will just throw their saber or DFA and cut you in two.

Ok with the saber staff, its kata is slightly more useful but it's way too long and you'll maybe hit your opponent once with it but then after that one hit they will move away and counter you.

The single saber on the other hand has a short and sweet kata. If you're close-quarters with your opponent, a single saber kata is guaranteed to hit and it doesn't last long enough for your opponent to move and counter.

Each type of saber should have its strengths/weaknesses. I won't say that Raven balanced this evenly though. They don't have a very good record of balancing things, do they?

The thing about stances with the single saber is that no person need limit themselves to one stance.

Remember that in JK2 people who choose Strong would automatically also possess Medium and Fast, etc.

I'm sure they will be tweaked in MP to be balanced, as opposed to single player where the differences are more stylistic.

All the double saber stance is good for is the dual twirl, it has no real good moves.

You're forgetting the double stabs! ; )

Archived