Home

Player's Name And Voice.

Lonesome_2005

Hey everyone,

Does it bother anyone else that the only name for your character HAS to be Jaden Corr? They should have added an option to change your players name to what you wanted. Also I feel as though they should have included more voicepacks for your characters rather then 1 male and 1 female default player voice. For example, I would have liked my character to have a more gruff voice with a touch of an accent......Like scottish or irish or something along those lines. Maybe even adding some alien voices/languages to certain player models, for example........The Rodian Male could have the same type of voice as Greedo from the Star Wars movie or Maybe for the Kel Dor something kinda like a cross between Darth Vader's robotic breathing (Cause of the masks they wear) and Something deep and slightly evil sounding like a growl. To choose what your character also SOUNDS like would be a good idea because if I'm playing as a bad guy, I don't wanna sound all happy and like a goody too shoes. If not for the different voices, to have the option to have them speak thier native tongue instead of perfect english or french etc... from Earth. That's why they have subtitles so you can understand what they say. I think it would be kinda cool to hear for example a Jawa talk in the fast garble language of thiers and having a caption for it that tells you what they say instead of having to guess and assume. Lemme know what you all think and maybe someone, somewhere will be kind enough to maybe make a mod that's possible to change all this. Thanks for your time and may the force be with you........always.

Paragraphs are fun! :)

I don't think they could change that since it would cost quite alot of money to hire all of these voice actors, plus if they could not afford it and all the characters missed out your name, it would get very wierd.

"Hello ****** you are becoming a jedi knight, congratulations *****" O.o

Well, it took me a little while to get used to the similar voices, but money issues aside, I can see why they just had one male and female voice actor. The main character, no matter what species he/she is and his/her clothing choice, is always Jaden Korr, native of Coruscant. Having similar voices strengthens the emphasis that they're all essentially the same character.

However, I can see the reason for altered voices. Keep in mind though that a Rodian/Kel Dorian raised in a predominantly Basic-speaking environment probably would not have an accent unless their physiology prevents them from emulating human speech. Since Rodians and Kel Dorians have never spoken Basic in the movies, Raven can get away with having them talk like a human. Twi'Leks and Zabrak are human-like enough to speak Basic without much trouble at all. Darth Maul speaks like a human, after all.

Well, maybe a mod will allow for altered voices. Just a little sound editing with the voice files, and you'd be set.

Uhm, there's a big reason they only have 1 male and 1 female voice. Because if they had different ones, they woulda had to have voice actors do the ENTIRE single-player script over and over for each different voice. And while this would have been a nice touch, it wouldn't really be a practical use of resources that probably went into more important things such as level design ect.

Now, more voices for the multi-player 'taunt' would have been nice and would have been easy to do.:(

True, they could've salvaged several from JO.

But on the single player aspect, you're quite right, Raven is limited to their budget, and hiring several voice actors and actresses and letting them do the entire script. Also they would've had more work if you had different names to choose from, every line in which your name is mentioned is needs to be re-recorded.

Or would you prefer the KotOR approach where everybody(who speaks basic) thinks you're lower than them and simply adress you with "you" or something else, but never with your name XD

I understand the reasons for why they did what they did, but I would have been happy if they had done it similar to Baldur's Gate II. They have the subtitles with the custom name, but the dialog just doesn't speak your name.

They just chose to go another way I guess...

It bothers me.

I thought Raven could have at least added more voices to SP and MP. For example, Rodian can speak Rodian but with subtitles, lol.

Another thing that annoys me is the JA icon, am I the only one who thinks it looks like a 5 year old's work in MS Paint?

All interesting points but I would have preferred them to actualy take the time to improve the game's voices and sound effects. Now, thier really good as they are but I would have personaly chosen voices that sounded more like a real conversation instead of some read from the que card type of dialog. I agree with what Hekx said about the Alien species speaking thier language but with subtitles so you can understand what they say while listening to thier strange voices. I don't know, I like that game alot but I just wish they would have taken the extra time to work out all the little details to make the Star Wars Jedi Academy game a little more believable and real. I Mean Come On! Does every race in the galaxy speak perfect basic and with grammer? *LMAO*. I'm working on a mod which will change the way different people sound in the game, some will speak french, some will speak dutch or whatever until I can find some good audio clips from the movie to where I can import it into the game. For example, I would like to hear the Empire troopers and such speak lines from the movie(s) or maybe dutch like the evil nazi's! hahah....then the rebel force could have the voices of ummmmmmm...........french or something..........THE FRENCH REVOLUTION! Just playing! and maybe for some of the other characters a mix with english and spanish.

I'm usually not one to bash JA, because I really like the game, and don't have problems with it like a lot of other people, but I do agree that the voices in SP do sound a little funny, especially when choosing Rhodians or Kel dors.

However, I can see why they chose to do what they did. It would have cost more to hire more voice actors, unless of course they used people already on staff. But, I can't imagine that most coders make good voice actors. We really don't know how much time it took to record, remix, and remaster both of the SP voices used, so it could very well have taken much longer to be released if they had recorded more voices. And here's my biggest theory; JA takes 2 CD's and is over 1GB installed on a HD. I don't know about you, but when one program takes over a gig of my HD space, especially for a game, that's a serious consideration on whether I'm going to install it. I don't have a 200GB drive. To tell the truth, I only have a 40GB drive. Laugh at me if you will, but I don't have parents who are going to buy me a huge HD (especially since I'm 25), and I don't have the disposable income to buy one right now. My point is, who knows how much extra space having 2, 3 or even 4 more voices would have taken up?

Don't get me wrong, I do think it would have really jacked up the enjoyment of the dialogue if there had been more voices, but I think Raven had more insight into why they didn't include them, and not just because they didn't feel like it.

My 2 cents. Here's your change, sir/ma'am...

Let's see, if they made the Rodian voice in huttese with subtitles, they would only have had to make 1 (since even translated into Spanish or German it would still be fine to play Huttese sounds and then translate it into text of that language).

The Kel Dor voice would require another voice actor and then however many translations or other voice actors to speak the languages for that one voice (so what.. four more voices)?

If they just took existing voices (say the male one) and ran it through a Darth Vader-esque filter that could have saved time, but they still would have had to modify all the voices for the different languages.

I'm not so sympathetic to the voices - I recently finished Neverwinter Nights and am finishing the Shadows of Undrentide expansion, and you get to choose from a bunch of Male and Female voice sets - and NWN took me ~80 hours to play! I would have liked 'mood sets' for the voices - because I don't think the voice should be the same if you are playing 'pure light' as opposed to 'pure dark'.

I am sympathetic to the name - NWN feel s a bit empty as no one ever uses your name (though it is in the written dialogue). Plus, how else would I have gotten Kyle to say 'Stop that, Jaden' as I turned the turbo-lasers on him for a game of 'let's make the Jedi Master Dance'...

Mike

Yes, I'm aware that the nazi's spoke german but since there was no german choice, dutch was the next best thing! *LOL*. I agree with the doing the alien voice with one actor and just putting what he said in subtiles. Yeah and in neverwinter nights they have different voicepacks you could choose from. That's similar to what I'm talking about, Being able to choose that way. But I'm just one of a million gamers voicin my opinion so don't blast me into a million pieces..................That's Boba Fett's job! *LOL*.

Well, Raven DID re-do the voice acting for Seven of Nine in Elite Force in a patch.

They did this because they originally wanted to use the original actress's voice, but she was unavailable at the time. Later they did get her to do it, so it was added.

So who knows, if they had time maybe they would add the new voices in a patch or expansion, though with all the other stuff they need to finish I kind of doubt they'll be able to.

That won't stop the mod community of course, and now that the tools are out (all but the SDK) it should be possible to do that if people desire and have the time and talent.

Archived