Home

Wide Screen or Full Screen?...

Darth NeoVenom

Which one is better?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is better?

• Wide Screen
    • Full Screen

To be honest, I don't know why the heck we got Full Screen edition. We have Matrix (Wide Screen), Animatrix (Wide Screen), LOTR The Twin Towers (Wide Screen), Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Wide Screen).....then all of a freaking sudden...we get...Matrix Reload (Full Screen)...maybe my dad didn't notice it was Full Screen. Maybe they should have just made one with both versions.

Originally posted by -=TheTycooner=-

My friend has a widesreen TV. When he plays the fullscreen version of LOTR it appears widescreen. But when he plays the Widescreen version, theres just a little strip of screen in the center.

Sounds like he isn't using it right. There should be a button to switch between widescreen and fullscreen modes. It sounds like it is stretching the Fullscreen picture (which will distort everything) and not playing the widescreen film in widescreen mode (compressing it vertically).

The fullscreen one should play in the middle, with black bars at either side, and the widescreen one should take up the whole screen on a widescreen telly. (or maybe have tiny black bars top and bottom if it was shot in extra wide). What is the point on splashing out on a widescreen telly if you don't ude it correctly.

THe Die Hard special edition DVD has an excellent special feature on Widescreen vs Fullscreen showing how the director's careful shot composition is messed up by the fullscreen cutting off half the picture and how all the unnecessary fake camera movements make the film seem so much less "epic".

HOwever, the question I am asking myself is, should i buy a widescreen telly or a fullscreen one? I'd love a widescreen one, but you can actually buy fullscreen tvs that are wider for less money, and then I could watch the widescreen films just as big, and normal telly much bigger... stupid overpriced widescreen tellys...

:mad:

I just saw the fight scene when Neo is fighting everyone in that guy'z mansion (I don't know his name) in Matrix Reload...and it lookz so bad. The way they format it....it'z too close. It looks soo soo bad. God, why must I suffer viewing it. I am suppose to be entertained. Nothing like the original look....nothing at all.

Originally posted by Darth NeoVenom

I just saw the fight the fight scene when Neo is fight everyone in that guy'z mansion (I don't know his name) in Matrix Reload...and it lookz so bad. The way they format it....it'z too close. It looks soo soo bad. God, why must I suffer viewing it. I am suppose to be entertained. Nothing like the original look....nothing at all.

that is just a terrible fight scene, whatever aspect ratio you watch it in. I think YWP was having an off day....;)

True that it has black lines, but they keep it just like if it was in the movies. In order for the people to make a DVD Full Screen...they gotta remove parts of the scene. For example...half of the time when Neo punches one of the Smiths...I can't fully see it. If it was Wide Screen....you can see the whole thing.

Let's get a common misconception out of the way, a widescreen DVD doesn't necessarily fill up the entire screen on a 16:9 widescreen TV if it is NOT shot in 16:9 aspect ration (usually shown as 1.78:1 on your DVD case)

A common one is 1.85:1, some are 2:1, or even higher. This is where your standard 16:9 widescreen TV will have to show the black bars to keep the movie in the correct aspect ratio.

LOTR: The Two Towers is shot at 2.35:1, which is a lot more "cinematic" than the standard 1.78:1. This is why it will show black bars, and probably quite significant ones at that for the LOTR movies.

Most of the newer DVD's you will buy have a standard area where they show the aspect ratio, the audio and running time. Some of the older ones may not be overly clear as to where they show all the relevant info

• 3 weeks later...

wide -

I like to see the whole frame, the way it was meant to be seen from the creator's view. You get a better feel of what the writer is trying to portray in his flic. imho.

Although, sometimes it's fun to throw in "Ronin", flip it to full, and crank the decibals up.

eniaC

Archived