Home

You will love me for this. Seriously

Jedi-Monkey

I think Ive worked out the Secret of Monkey Island!

Its so obvious!

If youve seen that chat with Ron Gilbert he says that its a really obvious thing that youll kick yourself for not getting. And IVE GOT IT!!!!!

Its the way you say it. The Secret of Monkey Island sounds like Monkey Island holds a secret that needs to be uncovered.

But no! Monkey Island is the secret! Its like saying 'the family of peacocks' or something! It was hidden in that storm that needed a special voodoo concoction for access, so normal sailors would never find it.

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Ive had to check my spellings over that a couple of times Im so excited.

Back when I was first playing (Kindergarten or 1st Grade) I always assumed that the secret was Lechuck's ship under the island. Then I broadened that out to the fact that YOU GO IN A MONKEY'S HEAD THAT IS A DOOR TO HELL. I have pretty much this has got to be it. It's hell, and you get to it through a giant monkey's head. That has to be important.

There is alot of interpretations that we could think of. I like these two :

The "secret" of Monkey Island can be seen as something that baffles understanding and cannot be explained.

or

The "secret" of Monkey Island is something that should remain hidden. THE END :D

Someone came up with this one a while ago and I have to say, it's pretty sound. the whole point of the first game was that no one could find monkey island. LeChuck hid there so pirates couldn't go attack him and Guybrush wants to go there but doesn't know how until he makes the potion. Oh, and apart from the native cannibles, lechuck and his motley crew (I just wanted to use the word motley) and herman, it is pretty uninhabited and so on.

But why would it be the Secret of Monkey Island, if the secret is Monkey Island? Oh..the ambiguity...

Everyone seems to know about Monkey Island, even if they can't get there because of the voodoo thing. So it's not really a secret. And if the secret is you can't just sail there, I'm pretty unimpressed.

And if the Secret of Monkey Island really IS a secret, I guess if we find out it won't be anymore, eh? It will be..."The Voodoo Hooey (or whatever the secret is) of Monkey Island!"

Originally posted by DJ Cynispin

Back when I was first playing (Kindergarten or 1st Grade) I always assumed that the secret was Lechuck's ship under the island. Then I broadened that out to the fact that YOU GO IN A MONKEY'S HEAD THAT IS A DOOR TO HELL. I have pretty much this has got to be it. It's hell, and you get to it through a giant monkey's head. That has to be important.

Yeah, back in the ol' elementary days I thought it was hell, too. Now it seems that the secret of Monkey Island is that thinking too much about the secret of Monkey Island will make your head explode. Or at least that's how I feel at the moment.

Originally posted by thejane

Yeah, back in the ol' elementary days I thought it was hell, too. Now it seems that the secret of Monkey Island is that thinking too much about the secret of Monkey Island will make your head explode. Or at least that's how I feel at the moment.

:sweating: true

Originally posted by Captain Andy

But why would it be the Secret of Monkey Island, if the secret is Monkey Island? Oh..the ambiguity...

Everyone seems to know about Monkey Island, even if they can't get there because of the voodoo thing. So it's not really a secret. And if the secret is you can't just sail there, I'm pretty unimpressed.

And if the Secret of Monkey Island really IS a secret, I guess if we find out it won't be anymore, eh? It will be..."The Voodoo Hooey (or whatever the secret is) of Monkey Island!"

Well that's the whole joke of it, no one is meant to know about it and yet everyone does. It's like a secret everyone knows, but don't announce publicly, just kind of pass it on with a whisper. In other words, the general population of the caribbean don't know about it, but just about everyone does, if you get what I mean (someone will) which is actually pretty funny.

Only to you, darling, only to you.

Originally posted by Joshi

Well that's the whole joke of it, no one is meant to know about it and yet everyone does. It's like a secret everyone knows, but don't announce publicly, just kind of pass it on with a whisper. In other words, the general population of the caribbean don't know about it, but just about everyone does, if you get what I mean (someone will) which is actually pretty funny.

Good point. But...but...oh. I've got to stop thinking before my head explodes again.

Originally posted by DJ Cynispin

Excuse me, would the real Ron Gilbert please stand up?..

If none of you are He, I am closing my ears.

Wow, this thread is hereby...

DELET ED!

:sbdance

Which is exactly why people like you don't have that power and people like me do. Boocheeyaa! (and very rarely will you hear me say that considering it's spelling is risky at the best of times)

• 3 weeks later...

i think everyone had the thought that monkey island was the secret, but i don't care.

By saying it blatently, it ruins a part of the game, i think it is important to spend long painful hours thinking about it its all part of the monkey island secret.

one thing how come the monkey head is a gate to hell in mi1 but a giant robot in emi?

oh yeah go the dancing strong bads

• 3 weeks later...

Archived