Home

Kill Tracker ?!

JA_General

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

No one has a problem will a program that silently keeps statistics of your kills and kill ratios, etc. But the incessant spamming of "so and so, you are the 34 person I have killed, 3 kills have come from you" (or the more juvenile variations like "so and so you are the 40 bitch I have ass raped") was very annoying in Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, and is even worse in JA, since the chat is closer to the center of the screen.

After many months of watching hundreds of players on my four servers, I have found that the best players, the ones who win consistently, don't use killtrackers. Using a killtracker in my experience is like waving a red flag that says "I am a mediocre player with low self-esteem, and spamming a message with each and every one of my infrequent kills compensates for the fact that I never win".

If after reading that you still want one of those damn killtrackers, you can download it here:

http://maudae.avalonx.net/

Please do everyone a favor and use !silent or !ktoff so you won't fill up everyone's screen with annoying spam. It will still count every one of your very important kills.

Yeah...the killtracker is more annoying than anything else. Anyone can say how many kills they've had...but with most of the game types, winning the actual match is more important from my POV. Killtrackers are pretty pointless in team-based games like CTF and Siege anyway - you could have the highest frag-count, but if you don't win any of the matches, then what's the point?

Kill trackers are for noobs.

1.) No one is interested in how many kills you have.

2.) Stop telling people how many kills you have.

3.) I can kill 249713057042-573412597392457 billion people by editting the cfg file anyway.

4.) Why do you find it necessary to count how many people you killed in a video game (ages 12 and up)...

5.) Do you get like free movie tickets or a car if ya get over 1000?

6.) No one cares

7.) No one cares

8.) I personally believe your a really bad player (no matter how many kills you have) if you use a kill tracker

Originally posted by Kurgan

Instead of a Kill Tracker I'd prefer something akin to NGstats from Unreal Tournament..

Yeah, NG Stats is actually useful, because it can highlight your reliance on particular weapons and items, and gives a good indication of your overall accuracy. I used to use it to re-evaluate the way I was playing the game - so I agree that something along those lines would be useful.

Originally posted by Jawa8578

Kill trackers are for noobs.

1.) No one is interested in how many kills you have.

2.) Stop telling people how many kills you have.

3.) I can kill 249713057042-573412597392457 billion people by editting the cfg file anyway.

4.) Why do you find it necessary to count how many people you killed in a video game (ages 12 and up)...

5.) Do you get like free movie tickets or a car if ya get over 1000?

6.) No one cares

7.) No one cares

8.) I personally believe your a really bad player (no matter how many kills you have) if you use a kill tracker

After many months of watching thousands of players on my four servers, I have found that the best players, the ones who win consistently, don't use killtrackers. Using a killtracker in my experience is like waving a red flag that says "I am a mediocre player with low self-esteem, and spamming a message with each and every one of my infrequent kills compensates for the fact that I never win".

Originally posted by KaiaSowapit

Good god. Repent sinners, for the world is coming to an end...

I agree with Jawa8578 on this one.

(Though arguably Amidala was more eloquent and tactful. :))

Originally posted by Kurgan

And on, and on, etc it goes. I agree, the kill tracker is a pretty silly, spammy and pathetic deal because people use it to broadcast pointless statistics (really taunts) showing how "good" they are.

That little sample was just annoying, but if people get in the habit of using them on my server, I may decide to ban them altogether.

Originally posted by StormHammer

Yeah...the killtracker is more annoying than anything else. Anyone can say how many kills they've had...but with most of the game types, winning the actual match is more important from my POV. Killtrackers are pretty pointless in team-based games like CTF and Siege anyway - you could have the highest frag-count, but if you don't win any of the matches, then what's the point?

Originally posted by |GG|Carl

I agree that kill trackers are the ultimate spam tools, I actually think they are pretty annoying

So killtracker fans, if |GG|Carl, Stormhammer, Kurgan, Amidala, KaiaSowapit, and Jawa 8578, people who could disagree with each other over whether rocks are hard, water is wet, and babies' bottoms are smooth unanimously agree that killtrackers are horrible and for n00bs only, doesn't that tell you something?

One of the sadest things I've seen on JK2 was on a full instagib CTF server that I used to admin on. A guy joins and I see the message saying that he had activated a kill tracker. I kept one eye on the message to look for the spam, but saw nothing. I was relived as I was enjoying the game, and didn't want to have to mess round telling him to turn it off.

About 10 mins into the map I notice this:

Player: !kills

Player: I have killed a total of 0 people

:D

So killtracker fans, if |GG|Carl, Stormhammer, Kurgan, Amidala, KaiaSowapit, and Jawa 8578, people who could disagree with each other over whether rocks are hard, water is wet, and babies' bottoms are smooth unanimously agree that killtrackers are horrible and for n00bs only, doesn't that tell you something?

I have to agree with them also. Kill Trackers are stupid and that is my educated opinion. I can't say my uneducated opinion without getting banned for life.

P.S.

I need a Kill Tracker Blocker.;)

Two theories:

1) He had a huge ego.

2) He didn't realize the extent to which his creation would be abused.

Take your pick...

-----------------------

Honestly though, as long as it doesn't broadcast every message (ie: keeps track of it for the player end and the player end only) I have no real problem with people using them. I'd rather have something akin to ngstats like in UT though, that would actually be useful. Rather than simply tallying whom you killed the most, it would show your accuracy with weapons and how well you did with them (and ditto for your opponents) and progress throughout the match with charts, stuff like that. Good for charting individual progress...

Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest

If you all say the kill tracker sux, then why did the creator made it?

Everyone makes mistakes, but most people learn from them.:o

Has anyone ever noticed that the people that use them things are also the 1st person to cry lamer and usually have few points.

Archived