Home

What's your religion and why?

MasterSidious

Roman Catholic. I was raised in this faith, but didn't really study it in depth and take a real interest in it until Middle School... since then I've gone on the road of a Religious Studies Major. ; )

Do I know everything about it? No. I take an active interest in all religions, and I'll keep learning until my dying day.

Do I know that my religion is the one true religion? No, I don't.

It's faith that God exists, and it's faith that Christianity is true. IF those are both true, then I think Catholicism has a good claim for the historical roots of Christianity (but then so does the Orthodox Church and the Anglican Church).

That's not to say that "If I'm right" all religions are wrong. I think (with few exceptions) all religions are seeking after the truth, that transcendence we seek in life and beyond. For me this seems to be the right path.

While I respect the Bible's historical significance and its inspiration, I also acknowledge that tradition is important in its interpretation. Of course doctrine does develop (I'm not saying it's made up, just that the seeds of knowledge grow into trees over time), taking into light new sociological insights over time (for example our present acknowledgement of the wrongness of slavery, something most first century people took for granted as a necessary evil).

Am I a perfect holy person? No. But that's the struggle of life, to try to deal with our imperfections and do good in the world, with (I believe) divine grace, to overcome sin. It's easy to doubt and become side tracked, but that's why God sent us prophets, writings, and even his own Son, to guide us.

And Buddhism, like all religions, has several flavors. Some acknowledge gods, others couldn't be happier without them.

; )

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is being an augnostic probably considered a person not carring about religion? I think this is what it means. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. BTW, I was just forced to go to church and I hate it! Not saying that it's bad or anything to go to church but sometimes well I won't say it ;)

Originally posted by ZDawg

You miss somthing, alot of christians (like myself) have already tried other religions, they just dont cut it...

heck, I dont even like to be called a religious person... I dont like the stero-type that goes along with it.

Really? You think that you're stero typed? Like as what? I'd seriously like to know.

Chrstian here. It sucks thinking/knowing most of you people are going to hell

Remember the words of Jesus:

"Judge not, lest ye be judged." (Matt. 7:1, Luke 6:37)

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." (John 8:7)

"Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?" (Luke 6:41)

Agnosticism is a term coined by Adoulous (sp?) Huxley to define what he himself believed. Since then the term has taken on a few different meanings:

1) A person who believes that God(s) are unknowable (ie: therefore they eskew traditional religions with beliefs about God(s) being knowable)

2) A person who has no religion (but doesn't go the extra mile and become an atheist, saying that no gods exist, period).

3) A person who admits God(s) might exist, but they don't know for sure (and leave themselves open to the possibility that they might one day believe with the right motivation or evidence).

4) A person with no interest in religious matters (no opinion on the existence of God(s)).

Originally posted by MasterSidious

Really? You think that you're stero typed? Like as what? I'd seriously like to know.

Trust me, christians are sterotyped... lets take C'jais for example, in another post, C'jais showed his stero type for christians by saying they all "force what they believe on others" which for the most part, is true... but because 49 out of 50 does it, does not mean 50 out of 50 does it... What 1 christian does, sets a stero type, and people take it that "because 1 person is like that, they all but be like that"

In this case, it was asked what I believed, I simply give the answer.

The same goes for any group of people anywhere.

Originally posted by MasterSidious

BTW, I was just forced to go to church and I hate it! Not saying that it's bad or anything to go to church but sometimes well I won't say it ;)

Is that why your not a big fan of christianity?

4) A person with no interest in religious matters (no opinion on the existence of God(s)).

Interesting...... looks like I was agnostic... :cool:

Trust me, christians are sterotyped... lets take C'jais for example, in another post, C'jais showed his stero type for christians by saying they all "force what they believe on others" which for the most part, is true... but because 49 out of 50 does it, does not mean 50 out of 50 does it... What 1 christian does, sets a stero type, and people take it that "because 1 person is like that, they all but be like that"

*sigh* happens a lot... look around the forums MasterSidious, BTW, a few days ago i believe i played you in JK2? My name was lukeskywalker1 i dont think you were on the server a long time though...

What 1 christian does, sets a stero type, and people take it that "because 1 person is like that, they all but be like that"

I don't think people are likely to judge all Christians on the actions of one. I do, however, find it likely that people might judge all Christians based on the actions of 49 out of 50. If it wasn't Christianity, but some other ideal, wouldn't you?

And what CJais says is true, in most cases. When you ask a Christian if they believe Same Sex Marriages should be legal (I only bring up the topic here because it applys to this discussion), they are likely to say no. And when asked why, they often cite their religion.

Tell me, how is that not trying to force your religion on someone else?

MasterSidious, church bored me too. I was Roman Catholic, and everytime I went (still go, sometimes, so I don't tick off my grandmother :rolleyes: ), I had the urge to put pencils through my ears so I didn't have to listen to the priest drone on and on about how I was inherently a dirty rotten bastard and deserved to go to hell. :rolleyes: But that might have just been him. Some other speakers I've heard were ok...

Ya, that's the worst thing. First you're made to sit their when you're bored out of your mind then you have to listen how you're going to go to hell because you're not perfect. :rolleyes: Oh well, I hate being cold if it is true. I'll always be hot after I'm dead. BTW I just want to point out that if there's nothing when we die because we're non-existant and feeling anyway it will be just the same as going to "heaven" because you won't be around to feel anything, very happy thoughts :D Not that I'm suicidal or anything though ;)

Originally posted by ShockV1.89

Tell me, how is that not trying to force your religion on someone else?

It isnt forcing our religion, if you ask us. Now if I ran around telling everyone I think being gay is a sin just because I wanted to be a fanatic, that would be forcing my religion on them

And when asked why, they often cite their religion.
And you expect somthing different? Its just as stupid as the evolutionist who say "well believeing it because the bible said so, isnt good enough"... If I believe the bible to be 100% truth, then It is gooed enough.

It's good enough for you. It's not good enough for the gay guy who just wants to get married to his lover, and enjoy the same legal and fiscal benefits that you or I would. And it's not good enough for me. It's not good enough for a whole lot of people. Therefore, it's not good enough for the legal system.

It isnt forcing our religion, if you ask us. Now if I ran around telling everyone I think being gay is a sin just because I wanted to be a fanatic, that would be forcing my religion on them

If a law is passed banning gay marriage, and it is clear that the law is rooted in Christian and religious belief... how is that not forcing religion on others who don't want it?

And you expect somthing different? Its just as stupid as the evolutionist who say "well believeing it because the bible said so, isnt good enough"... If I believe the bible to be 100% truth, then It is gooed enough.

Wow, wow! You're taking a slicky path, I warn you. Evolutionists don't like when people say such things

If I believe the bible to be 100% truth, then It is gooed enough.

If you believe the bible to be 100% true, then you believe the bible is at least partially false.

And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary...." (Matthew 1:16)

"And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being ... the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli..."(Luke 3:23)

Was J.C.'s paternal grandfather Jacob or Heli? Or how about:

"...that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He [Jesus] shall be called a Nazarene." (Matthew 2:23)

I've looked... perhaps I've missed it... but I don't see anywhere in the Old Testament (I figured it would be in the Torah or the Law) about Jesus being a "Nazarene." Perhaps this book didn't make the final cut.

It's also interesting to note the Elohist and Yawehist perspectives in the Torah, particularly with regard to Genesis.

Originally posted by ShockV1.89

If a law is passed banning gay marriage, and it is clear that the law is rooted in Christian and religious belief... how is that not forcing religion on others who don't want it?

I find it ironic that it is only considered "forcing your religion" if you are a christian... yet the athiests and evolutionists, force things on everyone else, and noone complains.

Originally posted by Homuncul

Wow, wow! You're taking a slicky path, I warn you. Evolutionists don't like when people say such things

Christians dont like it when people say we have no proof for our religion, which we do.

I find it ironic that it is only considered "forcing your religion" if you are a christian... yet the athiests and evolutionists, force things on everyone else, and noone complains.

Christians dont like it when people say we have no proof for our religion, which we do.

You have asmuch proof as anyother religion therefore that input is nixt.

And atheism and evolutionism is a style of belief, there is no deity involved therefore it's a philosophy and scientific belief.

PS: it's not forcing your religion only if you're christian, it's if you are any religion and trying to make others abide by it. Christianity is just America's majoral religion thus it comes up alot, and often finds it's rules being presented to be law.

I think that's funny too. If they don't wan't to believe, that's fine with me. But why do they feel so threatened having the word God on currency? Or having a statue of the ten commandments in a state capitol? Or having prayer at school functions? Or any number of other things I could mention? I mean, none of those things require any effort on their part to ignore it, so what's the problem?

When laws are made with a secular perspective in mind, nobody is forcing anything on anyone. If gay marriages are legalized, nobody is forcing gay marriage on you.

Atheists and evolutionists can't pass laws that force their position on everyone else. You can't make it illegal to believe the Creation myth. You can't make it illegal to believe in God.

Besides, which, evolutionists don't really pass laws....

Originally posted by CapNColostomy

I think that's funny too. If they don't wan't to believe, that's fine with me. But why do they feel so threatened having the word God on currency? Or having a statue of the ten commandments in a state capitol? Or having prayer at school functions? Or any number of other things I could mention? I mean, none of those things require any effort on their part to ignore it, so what's the problem?

First off I'm could careless about the money crap. "money is the tangible root of all evil"

Now, I don't think it's the fear of the presence of those things but more of how people who support them treat others, and how it symbolizes and impartiality, plus having the Commandments statue in the court could cause legal issues for the judge; Someone could sue saying the judge ruled impartialy because the defendant isn't christian and thus the ruling was unfair and bigotous. Mainly it's just a hassle of it being there.

Also it's not so much of a threat as it is annoying to constantly hear god this and jesus that, atleast for me it's annoying. I can understand in church and all that but when people just use jesus and god as common words it's very annoying, and when people say jesus bless you it kinda annoys the sh*t out of me, especially when they say it after I sneeze (which I do alot because of allergies).

I can accept prayer and such, but it really has no place at schools, no matter what religion. I'm at school to learn not hear you ask god to let you get an A.

Also at my school (not sure if it's like this at others) there is a majority of Christians that all their projects and biographies are on Jesus or Paul, I mean even in church I didn't hear about Jesus and the apostles this much. After hearing in every year, every other six weeks, and it being the same exact story, it just gets very annoying. Also I have to walk by the flag pole in the morning which is surrounded by so many people and everytime you walk by they basically sneer at you. Also it doesn't help that people say school violence is a result of prayer not being in school, this just gets my blood boiling and I constantly get in a debate about this because it's just not true, and I hope many of you here will agree with that.

I descriminate against no single religion, I squeen about them all. :)

I have no problem with student led prayer, but when a teacher tells me to pray to something I don't believe, or else I'll be punished, it just pisses me off, just as my telling you, that you're basically a biggot by not allowing gays to marry.

Originally posted by InsaneSith

Now, I don't think it's the fear of the presence of those things but more of how people who support them treat others, and how it symbolizes and impartiality, plus having the Commandments statue in the court could cause legal issues for the judge; Someone could sue saying the judge ruled impartialy because the defendant isn't christian and thus the ruling was unfair and bigotous. Mainly it's just a hassle of it being there.

Unless they make it against the law to NOT be a Christian in the United States, and start putting people on trial for it, there's no forseeable reason why your religion or lack thereof would even come up in a court case. And besides, it was a state capitol the statue was removed from. Not a court house. And unless the thing is just in the way of the elavator, I can't see why it's such a hassle.

I have no problem with student led prayer, but when a teacher tells me to pray to something I don't believe, or else I'll be punished, it just pisses me off, just as my telling you, that you're basically a biggot by not allowing gays to marry.

Forcing prayer, and threatening punishment is against the law pretty much anywhere in the nation that I'm aware of. I would take that up with the Board of Education in your area. And I never said I was pissed off. And since I've not made a statement one way or the other on my opinion of gay marriage, it's pretty unfair of you to call me a bigot for not allowing gay marriage, I'd say. Where did you get the idea that I'm not letting gay people get married anyway? It's not up to me. I'm not anywhere near important enough a person.

Originally posted by CapNColostomy

Unless they make it against the law to NOT be a Christian in the United States, and start putting people on trial for it, there's no forseeable reason why your religion or lack thereof would even come up in a court case. And besides, it was a state capitol the statue was removed from. Not a court house. And unless the thing is just in the way of the elavator, I can't see why it's such a hassle.

Forcing prayer, and threatening punishment is against the law pretty much anywhere in the nation that I'm aware of. I would take that up with the Board of Education in your area. And I never said I was pissed off. And since I've not made a statement one way or the other on my opinion of gay marriage, it's pretty unfair of you to call me a bigot for not allowing gay marriage, I'd say. Where did you get the idea that I'm not letting gay people get married anyway? It's not up to me. I'm not anywhere near important enough a person.

I never actually meant you were a biggot, I'm just stating that you would be pissed off if I did... I guess I need to keep working at my speaking skills. :\

I was pretty sure the idol was in a court house in alabama, afterall that is what it had said in the news, well I guess you can never be too sure.

Sorry about the misunderstanding of the biggot thing.

I never actually meant you were a biggot, I'm just stating that you would be pissed off if I did... I guess I need to keep working at my speaking skills. :\

I was pretty sure the idol was in a court house in alabama, afterall that is what it had said in the news, well I guess you can never be too sure.

Sorry about the misunderstanding of the biggot thing.

You may be right about the statue thing, I remember the capitol for some reason, but hell...I couldn't tell you what I had for lunch yesterday, so I may be wrong.

Anyhow, don't sweat the bigot thing. Things can get heated in a discussion like this. It happens, and it's understandable that a misunderstanding can occur? That was a weird sentence...

I believe everyone should just stfu, believe what they want to believe and keep it to themselves UNLESS someone asks for their opinion. But this is just my opinion. Of course no one will listen :rolleyes: And BTW just to make it clear, I'm not pissed off. I was the one asking the questions in the first place. I'm just talking about generally.

Archived