Home

What's your religion and why?

MasterSidious

Ya, I know. But's it kinda fun/interesting before this happens.

CapNColostomy, well I just want to know the facts from a person who says that he researched it. I once or twice asked my parents something liike this and they just said a bunch of nothing. I kinda want a real answer. No offense to yours of course though ;)

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a Christian, though I don't go to church anymore. I feel that as long as you love God and believe that Jesus is the only way to eternal life and salvation, then that's all you really need to be a Christian.

originally posed by joetheeskimo5:

Catholics aren't Christians.

I'm sorry, but I disagree. I see Catholicism (sp?) as simply a different denomination of Christianity, much as Baptists and Lutherans are different denominations of the Protestants. They believe in the same God and they believe that Jesus is the Savior.

Besides, we have to keep in mind that it was the Catholic church that kept Christianity alive during its early years. It was Catholic monks who painstakingly wrote copies of the Bible, which is perhaps the only reason it's still around today. Besides, there would have been no Protestants if there were no Catholics now, would there?

Actually in history class I learned that Christianity was created then the Catholic church was, then is separated. And now you get all the different beliefs of the ppl that broke off originaly. just a thought, really don't know though. It sounded good when I worte it for homework anyway :D

Originally posted by MasterSidious

Orca Wail, what is being a witch exactly? I'm curious.

:eek:!!

Ah, here's where we get into dangerous territory, one reason why I'm reluctent to go Witch...

*APOLOGIZES IN ADVANCE TO ANY WICCAS:I don't claim to know everything*

Definition 1: Someone who is close to nature

Def 2: Someone who practices WitchCraft

Def 3: A Satanist...these people REALLY DO EXSIST...proceed with caution

Def 4: A whacko who wears a star and claims to be a witch because he/she wants attention...aka a poser

In other words, its very vague...one reason why I'm scared to jump in. I want to do it, sincerly, truthfully, and with my all, but I'm so confused.

If you're that curious, go digging.

AVOID NEW AGE!

*gags*;)

Atheist.

Because frankly, the idea of one omnipotent being that can control everything is sheer idiocy in my eyes. It used to be so easy when I was a kid, with the whole God in Heaven and He's always watching. Then I got common sense.

Originally posted by Darth Groovy

*pulls out a baseball bat, and knocks thread into C'Jais, and Skinwalker's field. :)

Baseball? It's a good thing you used that analogy and not volleyball or tennis, or I would have sent it back to your side of the net :D

Anyway... thanks. :rolleyes: We don't have enough religion threads yet to meet our quota.

:cool:

Originally posted by SkinWalker

Baseball? It's a good thing you used that analogy and not volleyball or tennis, or I would have sent it back to your side of the net :D

Anyway... thanks. :rolleyes: We don't have enough religion threads yet to meet our quota.

:cool:

Probably because I keep tossing them your way...:p

Sorry pal, but you know what it was like BEFORE we had a Senate Forum Remember? ;)

Orca Wail, what is being a witch exactly? I'm curious.

A man or woman who expects to exert supernatural power without any assistance from a supernatural being.

Contrary to pop culture, either gender can be a witch. Witchcraft is a very real belief among cultures all over the world... but we've commercialized it in the West with everything from Wicca (a "religion" invented by an anthropologist) to the TV show "Charmed."

Edit: Not that I'm saying that "witchcraft" itself is real... just the fact that the "belief" exists in many cultures.

Originally posted by RoxStar

So there. Unless Catholics don't believe in Christ, then you're wrong Joe. No offense.

That Catholics are not Christian is a popular belief among many fundamentalist christians as a way of invalidating Catholism while validating their own dogma. It has it's roots in the Protestant Reform period, but was "revived" in the recent past with evangelical Baptists.

Basically, it's propaganda supported only by fundamentalists who desire to keep their flock and pressure Catholics to convert. Though, I'm sure that there are many who've come to believe it to be true since the fundamentalists who argue it provide various justifications.

Originally posted by Darth Groovy

Same here. You know if you want, you COULD merge all the religion threads into one, and sticky it. Let me know if you need any help. ;)

You mean as opposed to letting them die their own "thread deaths" I can keep them around forever? :D

Actually, I've cosidered it... I'll review some of the threads and see if that works. Maybe glean a few relavent posts from various threads.... I did this with one already... evolution was creeping into the "bash christianity criticize religion" thread.

I have a few questions for you ZDwag:

1. Where does it say in the Bible in the Old Testament that you can have multiple wives? (why do all the kings have them)

In Deuteronomy 17 it says (refering to a king)

"He must not take many wives, or his heart will be led astray."

I'll be straight out honest with you, I think it was just a custom in that culture (as it still is today in many cultures) to have more than one wife...

I don’t think the Old Testament said you couldn’t have more than one wife, but I do believe the new testament did… the reason a lot of cultures today still have many wives is because most religions are based off of the OLD testament and don’t believe the new testament is true.

2. "God" says that he "never changes" or something along these lines, so how come when in the "New Testament" they go all off into how its worng to commit what I think they call adultery?
Exodus 20:14 (one of the commandments) says: "You shall not commit adultery." Not really much to explain there... the Old Testament refers back to that because its one of the 10 commandments that even our modern-day country bases its morals off of.

3. It's all good and righteous when someone kills when they're in the army but then you can't just self protect (you know when "Jesus" says that you have to "offer the other cheek")?

Many words in Greek (and Arabic and Latin) where translated to simpler words, such as the word "love" which has 3 or 4 meanings... if I'm not mistaken, the word "kill" had 3 meanings, 1 of which was murder, meaning taking ones life without reason or motive. Then there was the meaning of killing for the defense of the helpless... there is a very fine line between the two... There where many times in the Old Testament where it says a man should be killed for doing some thing, and it was usually the punishment for MURDER. It is even custom today, that the punishment for killing is to be killed…

I have found that the bible has a lot to do with that day and age’s culture and way of life… like cursing for example, I don’t draw a line with that like most Christians do…

Could you please answer these questions for me. I'm just curious. And please don't say anything like "thats not the meaning" or "what are you talking about?" or "it never says this" cause I actually want to know. This always bothered me about my parents religion.
Well if the answer is "thats not the meaning" then im sorry but that really isnt the meaning... I've tryed to answer your questions, I cant guarantee you will like the answers.

I hope that comes close to answering your questions? if not, i'll be happy to try and answer them another way, if possible... I dont claim to have all the answers, but I surely will try.

Originally posted by Kain

Because frankly, the idea of one omnipotent being that can control everything is sheer idiocy in my eyes.

That isn’t exactly a fair choice... if the idea of one omnipotent being is idiocy than one can say that the idea that one person controlling everything around them is absolute madness. Don’t be offended by me making that statement, it just seems it could easily go into circular reasoning

1. Where does it say in the Bible in the Old Testament that you can have multiple wives? (why do all the kings have them)

Polygamy is very common throughout the bible, particularly the old testement. King Solomon is said to have had 700 wives and 300 concubines (1 Kings 11:3). The Torah states in Deuteronomy 17, verse 17: He [the king] shall not multiply wives for himself, or else his heart will turn away; And in 1 Kings 11, verse 3: He had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines, and his wives turned his heart away.

Polygamy, however, is a very common practice even today among cultures where it is economically advantageous. During the early periods of human history, it was a distinct advantage for you have multiple wives... it strengthened your clan. More wives=more offspring.

In today's culture of consumer capitalism, less is more, therefore the so-called "nuclear" family is considered the ideal type.

2. "God" says that he "never changes" or something along these lines, so how come when in the "New Testament" they go all off into how its worng to commit what I think they call adultery?

It's important to understand that "adultery" was considered to be sleeping with another man's woman, not simply sleeping with multiple women. Multiple wives is not adultery. Also, some of the different slants that you can see in the bible's old testement are the likely result of elohimist versus yahwehist accounts. Early Judaic religion referred to God as Elohim or Yahweh, depending upon the region. Many of the myths that were handed down were very similar and the two Genesis stories are thought by many to be an example of this concept.

3. It's all good and righteous when someone kills when they're in the army but then you can't just self protect (you know when "Jesus" says that you have to "offer the other cheek")?

Death and killing in the bible is all relative to who is killing whom and for what reason. It was perfectly acceptable for Joshua to slay many thousands in the Book of Sammuel; Moses was responsible for a greater genocide than Milosovich (the virgin, female children were given to the priests and other high-ranking members of his tribe). The new testement changes much, however. One has to wonder if Elohim/Yaweh retired and a new god took the throne, as the new administration was a kinder, more compassionate one.

There's no formal term for it, but if there were any it'd probably be: Nihilist Absolute. Not a nihilist as defined in the dictionary, but one who seeks the total annihilation of all existence.

Why? True freedom and perfect contentment, which can only be found by not existing (well, it can't be found if you don't exist but you get my paradoxical point, yes?).

Not a religion but a simple logical point of view following rational contemplation unhindered by such kind of fear that leads to religion.

Originally posted by Kain

Atheist.

Because frankly, the idea of one omnipotent being that can control everything is sheer idiocy in my eyes. It used to be so easy when I was a kid, with the whole God in Heaven and He's always watching. Then I got common sense.

Common sense? Common sense isn't always what you should trust, Kain. Muslims, Buddhists, and Hindus all have some sort of "omnipotence" in their religion. And choosing the word "idiocy" wasn't so wise if we're trying to keep this from turning into a flame war.

Chrstian here. It sucks thinking/knowing most of you people are going to hell

:tsk: Not very smart, TK. You can seriously piss some people off that way.

Although I agree :D

Originally posted by joetheeskimo5

Muslims, Buddhists, and Hindus all have some sort of "omnipotence" in their religion.

AFAIK, Buddhism doesn't include omnipotence - EG, gods can't ship you off to Nirvana even if they wanted.

I like most of the central messages in all the religions I've come across (Satanism included), but follow none of them to the point. I think it's funny though, that the Bible can spend so many pages on telling you just to be nice to people :p Well, I guess they were trying to cover all the bases and didn't want to leave anything to the reader :confused:

The Buddhist philosophy coincides much with my own, although the reincarnation part doesn't jive well with me. One could say, however, that as we all consist of the same matter, we're all reincarnations :)

School level biology and physiology has pretty much erased all notions of souls on my part.

Originally posted by C'jais

AFAIK, Buddhism doesn't include omnipotence - EG, gods can't ship you off to Nirvana even if they wanted.

Very true. In fact, Theravada Buddhists don't believe there is a god or that anything happens to us after death. They believe that salvation is a personal responsibility and that it is often different for each individual. Salvation, they believe is personal enlightenment.

Mahayana Buddhists (which includes Zen) see the Buddha as Lord and worship him, though it is important to understand that this is exactly what Buddha was trying to prevent in his life.

Traditional Buddhist believe in Four Noble Truths:

[*]Life includes a suffering, called Dukkha.

[*]The cause of Dukkha is Tanha (the desire for private gain).

[*]Overcoming Tanha is the way to overcome Dukkha.

[*]The 8-Fold Path is the way to overcome Tanha

[/list=1]

The 8-Fold Path is:

[*]Right views

[*]Right intent (dedication, persistence)

[*]Right speech

[*]Right conduct (which includes the following)

***Do Not Kill

***Do Not Steal

***Do Not Lie

***Do Not be Unchaste

***Do Not Drink Alcohol

[*]Right Livelihood - the monastic way is best, but "whatever one does, avoid evil occupations such as slave-trading and prostitution."

[*]Right effort (be industrious)

[*]Right mindfulness - be aware of every action. Be in control of senses and impulses. Have thoughts of kindness

[*]Right concentration - this involves the technique of Raja Yoga.

[/list=1]

A person who has extinguished all personal desire is considered to be Arhat and this is an ideal state of being for the Theravada Buddhist.

Mahayana Buddhism was created for the masses and follows much of the Buddha's teaching, though Buddha is looked upon as a Christ-like figure in that people worship and pray to him.

I don't believe that Buddha or Christ wanted that.

Well... everyone worships a "god" unless youve found away to give up all desire.

It doesnt have to be an "all powerful creater of the universe" type god. It doesnt need to be tangable. It can be an idea.. but most people worship something. You dont have to "bow down" to it, or even pray to it. Its like an obsession... some examples could be a hobby, a person (husband, wife, children, movie star... etc) something/someone you think extremly highly of... i think you understand.

Archived