Home

The Fans

urluckyday

Now, there are different kinds of Star Wars fans out there. But is there one true fan? Do they have to like all the books, toys, games and cards? Or can they just like the books and toys? I've met several huge fans of Star Wars, and they tell me different things. Some of the book readers say that books are good because they go where Lucas left off. On the other hand, toy lovers think that books go to far out and think that with using toys, people can properly reinact the greatest moments of Star Wars. There are two distinctions between the two sides, but who is right? Or is everybody wrong? Or right? You decide.:jawa

Originally posted by wassup

Some books are cool, but I feel the toys can get a little expensive once you start collecting, so I don't particularly follow the toy craze.

There 5 bucks a figure. You spend an average of 30 dollars a month, if you get any luck finding new ones at all.....

I respect the movies, read the books and collect the action figures. When I was younger I'd play with my action figures (cos it was fun). Now the action figures are collectables for me. I've read a few star wars books (Timothy Zahn's books for example) and the Star Wars books add to the 'Star Wars' science fiction and are enjoyable to read. Each of these are all fun in certain ways :).

Originally posted by Lynk Former

you won't sell. you've worked too hard to collect it all. what makes you think you'll ever sell it?

I shoulda rephrased that. IF I selled my collection, I woulda have enough money to buy a car. I'll only sell it if it's a life crisis though. ^_^

No, there is not one true fan. A Star Wars fan isn't defined by a particular genre of Star Wars and one isn't better than the other. It doesn't matter if you just like the films, or just like playing the games, or just like collecting, if you like Star Wars, you are a true fan, fullstop.

Originally posted by leXX

No, there is not one true fan. A Star Wars fan isn't defined by a particular genre of Star Wars and one isn't better than the other. It doesn't matter if you just like the films, or just like playing the games, or just like collecting, if you like Star Wars, you are a true fan, fullstop.

amen to that, leXX.

<<I'm not old enoguh to buy a car and use it. ^_^>>

You'll wish you'd saved that money the day you turn 16. I know I do. Every time I look at my action figures and basketball cards, which I so dutifully collected for almost a decade, I think, what a waste of money.

The sad truth is that the new Star Wars figures won't be worth even a fraction in thirty years of what the originals are worth today. Too many people see the toys as collectables, so they're not rare. Kids played with the old toys, beat the crap out of them in 'ginormous' battles, blew them up with firecrackers, burried them in the back yard, and fed them to the enormous alien creature called their dog. Few figures remained intact after this, and even fewer were left in the original packaging. Now, everyone's a collector, and the rarity that drives up prices just isn't there for the vast majority of figures.

There are some figures that will be worth a ton, I'm sure. But will those few figures make up for what you spent on the others?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by Jedi_Monk

<<I'm not old enoguh to buy a car and use it. ^_^>>

You'll wish you'd saved that money the day you turn 16. I know I do. Every time I look at my action figures and basketball cards, which I so dutifully collected for almost a decade, I think, what a waste of money.

The sad truth is that the new Star Wars figures won't be worth even a fraction in thirty years of what the originals are worth today. Too many people see the toys as collectables, so they're not rare. Kids played with the old toys, beat the crap out of them in 'ginormous' battles, blew them up with firecrackers, burried them in the back yard, and fed them to the enormous alien creature called their dog. Few figures remained intact after this, and even fewer were left in the original packaging. Now, everyone's a collector, and the rarity that drives up prices just isn't there for the vast majority of figures.

There are some figures that will be worth a ton, I'm sure. But will those few figures make up for what you spent on the others?

Yes, that is very true. the 95 figures sell for about 3 b ucks. Like I said, I don't really care how much they sell for, I'm giving my collection to my kids. When I see the smile on their face, and watch them play with thw figures that I used to pla ywith, will be worth more than any car

Bwsides - my mom is gonna give me her old car once I can drive. what I'm riding isn't a big deal to me. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I love the films. Maybe not EpI so much. I think that you can be a big fan wateva u collect.

I have a medium collection of toys, but i kinda stoped collecting them now. I love to read the books. i don't have many. I find that unless you read the books alot you can kinda get lost on the whole story.

for example i read the rogue sqaudron book. then the heir to the empire trilogy thing. the last book i read was just after the yuzhan vong invastion of sumthing, i've kinda got lost with the whole EU stuff

Slayne's usless trivia #694:

The word "Fan" is actually derived from the word "Fanatic".

Frightening but true.

Yeah, yeah...enough with the English teacher stuff allready, I hear you say. Give an old geezer a break here. :D

I think Lexx has it right though. But I don't really tend to think of myself as a "True fan", despite having loved the movies for most of my 32 (where's that damn walking stick again?) long years on this rock. I just love the whole concept of the Star Wars galaxy, and am content with merely being the enthusiast that I am.

• 3 weeks later...

I really think that toys...action figures...whatever you want to call them are way too kid-ish. I stopped collecting when I was eleven.

I like the books, the movies and roleplaying; and discussing the books and movies with people. I love debating.

Archived