Home

Has JA become boring, tired ??

Astrotoy7

Has JA become boring, tired ?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Has JA become boring, tired ?

• Yes, I'm playing KOTOR till my mouse breaks !
    • No, my elite clan will own your lamer n00b bowing clan....what the hell is KOTOR......???
    • Bugger you all ! I PREFER GALAXIES !!

Originally posted by DarkLord60

JA is just getting so old it just feels like something is missing it doesn't seem to have the same feel as the first day I opened the box.

Yeah, same here. However, what is keeping me going with Jedi Academy and I have great fun is the Dark Forces MOD. The Dark Forces MOD experience is like playing a whole brand new game. That's what I DO enjoy about JKA.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Ham Yoyo

......I haven't got bored with JA...... I haven't even started playing it yet..........

thats one way to stop JA getting boring, dont play it much.....!!!!

Im *still* playing EF2 SP, I think I'll do one level a month :) Its not that im a huge EF fan and want to prolong the fun, its just a time thing.....

MTFBWYA

For me, I got tired of JK2, which means I've gotten tired of JA without ever really playing it that much.

The new sabre stances are interesting at first, but lack something. Sabre fighting in general lacks something in these games, though, so that's no big shocker.

The SP game I still haven't finished and just don't feel that interested in. It's got some cool moments, but it all just has that "It's all been done" feeling. I guess when you started on FPS games with Wolfenstein 3D and played 'em pretty much through 'til now, a lot of it really HAS been done before.

The MP gaming just never did much for me. Siege mode is about the only mod I'd want to play, but when I tried playing it it just felt the same as everything else: dull.

It may also be the twitchy Q3-influenced pace that gets to me too. It just gets really really old after a while. For FPSes I prefer playing BF1942 these days for MP. I don't really have an SP game for that.

As for my SW fix, I've been getting that from Galaxies, though there are some serious problems with that game too that I don't see going away any time soon.

Maybe I'll pick up KOTOR to see how good it is. I've heard great things about it, but I haven't seen much else out there that's been catching my attention gaming-wise.

Originally posted by Agen_Terminator

Mr Astrotoy is so in love with Kotor that he spends all his time on Jedi Academy's forums. :rolleyes:

strange eh ? I just want to share the joy with fellow SW gamers, in particular those who enjoyed the SP storyline/EU elements of JA, and were "wishing for something more"....KOTOR can give you that fix......'

speaking of strange...arent you that guy that likes to jack off between games of JA..... :rolleyes:

MTFBWYA

In my opinion, Jedi Academy has not even come close to getting old... (strange enough, neither has Dark Forces, Jedi Knight or Jedi Outcastfor me) The thing is, this game is just good, old, plain FUN. For me, this is one of those games that I can simply boot, ignite my saber, and start hacking and slashing away without too much consequences of your actions.

Plus, the character customisation does add alot to the game, I think. Just having the ability to decide what your character will look like, what kind of hilt he'll have as a saber, which color, and what sort of fighting style he'll adopt is just a fun addition which breathes alot of life into the game. I know, I know, when it comes to the story and such, there is no change, but the gameplay does change. When playing as a Light Side Force User, I find myself staying more away from the Enemy and utilising the Force to defend myself, whilst as a Dark Side Force User, I find myself wading straight into the enemies, utilising the Force to crush and end their pathetic little lives(without anyone shouting "OMG L1TENING WH0RE"). The game just continues to be fun as I find new ways of disposing my enemies.

So, in conclusion, no, I don't think that Jedi Academy has grown old and tired. Granted, with the release of Knights of the Old Republic, I have been focusing most of my attention to that game, but if I'm in for a fun, entertaining shooter, I'll still have Jedi Academy installed on my hard disk.

The T16 canyon level was pretty tough alright. You had to have a fast CD-Rom (I had a 2x by the time I got the game) to do it, and a fast enough computer to maneuver, or else you'd end up clipping the walls without even knowning it. That was a tough first level, though.

Probably the hardest level for me, though, was the final Death Star trench run.

My favorite level was the Hoth one, but even so, no game has EVER managed to reproduce what I'd want to do in that battle.

Never played RA2. Force Commander sucked, though. Rebellion was ok, but was critically panned. I think it was just a bit too in-depth for most people (since most were playing Master of Orion 1 when that game was out), and in a weird way. The interface wasn't the best, either.

Really, I've found that most Star Wars games in the late 90s were pretty much crap, with the exception of the JK games and the X-wing/Tie Fighter series. Hell, even the straight-out-of-the-box X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter was pretty lame. It wasn't until Balance of Power came out that the game became any fun for me in MP. But that was because you could play through the entire campaign WITH your buddies, which I really enjoyed.

Anyway, for me, JA has been tired since I opened the box. There are some obvious cool aspects to it, but like a new mod or map, they get old for me too quickly which leaves me looking at the same old problems I have with the underlying game mechanics. Sabre combat is too hectic and spammish, lacks any kind of real finesse or control, and is too flashy for my tastes. It still just feels like button mashing to me, and the attacks and such (especially red stance) just frustrate me. They're either too weak in both appearance and effect (blue stance) or too slow (red stance). Or they're ineffective in practice (dual sabres) or unpredictable for me (double-bladed sabre). The katas are all pretty much pointless except as finishing moves, which would be perfectly cool if the normal attacks didn't feel so random to me.

The game just has a real "ho hum" feeling to it for me, which was about how I felt by the time I played MOTS when it came out. Pretty much all of the JK games have had fun aspects but always seemed like wasted opportunities to me. With the original games, I could accept that as limitations of the technology. I'm less forgiving nowadays. Maybe it's the animations, maybe it's that an FPS engine just isn't (or at least hasn't) been made that can do justice to melee combat, or maybe it's something else that I just can't put my finger on, but so much of the combat just seems clumsy and unsophisticated. It feels like rock paper scissors with the differences being really exagerrated in each of the stances.

Blue is ridiculously fast, but very weak and seems rather limited in the number of moves you can really do. Red is ridiculously SLOW though incredibly strong, and while it may have more moves than blue, you can only chain about two of them. The slow speed makes it useless to me, though. Yellow is a jack of all trades, but truly a master of none. And the actual implementation of the stances has never made me feel that the sabre, at least in these games, is an "elegant weapon."

What I'd really like to see is a Clone Wars game where you get to adopt one or more of the seven lightsabre forms (rather than stances) and pick the style which best suits your approach. Try a Google search for "seven forms of lightsaber combat", or check out http://swg.stratics.com/content/gameplay/professions/jedi/lightsaber_combat.shtml

Assuming you could make the moves seem cinematic and could balance the effects of the various forms, you could have a pretty cool game.

Yeah, that WAS a pretty cool one. I liked the sequel games too. You can always download the ROMs, you know. Get a copy of MAME and play 'em that way. What I really want to do is build my own cabinet with a computer inside that basically has an OS, MAME, and every cool arcade game EVER. :)

Anyway, back on topic, JA just doesn't do a ton for me anymore. I'll come back to it off and on, but I never stick with it for extended periods of time. Maybe I will later, but I kind of doubt it. It just lacks something for me.

Archived