Home

WIP: AT-AT

Duncan_10158

Originally posted by tFighterPilot

no

Stop trolling.

Yes, it does have a Rancor. But it won't respawn when it dies.

Amidala, I believe we have conflicting information.

http://www.starwars.com/databank/vehicle/atat/

An AT-AT's head carries the main armaments, a pair of light blasters located on the walker's "temples," and heavier, twin laser cannons mounted on the walker's "chin."

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

After reading various reference sources, I noted that:

• The secondary ("cheek") guns are medium blasters, not lasers

Hmm, look at what the conflicting stuff that TK-8252 said.

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

• While the AT AT has very thick armor, there was no mention of shields. And Imperial vehicles tended to not have shields.

Odd, I seem to remember the Imperial commanders saying something about "directing all power from shields to laser cannons" or something. I also remember something about the AT-AT's loosing their shields when they fell down (which is why Snowspeeders could blow them up when they fell down, not when they were upright).

But, I guess it is Duncan_10158's choice whether (spelling?) he wants them to have shields.

:fett:

Its ok no big.

In witch case sorry about that t.f. after the two pages of flaming it all seams on shakey ground. (yes that whole my-atat thing )

Now as far as size I got some progress but it has some issues that will need to be delt with.

At moment it is just under 3x the atst based on the actualy movie model picks in previous post (page 10 I think) without my trick.

But you did mention something about death animations depending on how flexable Duncan is on the death animation I may be able to get it larger without my trick ("that has issues") .

I will continue to try.

Originally posted by TK-8252

Amidala, I believe we have conflicting information.

It's not conflicting, the point is that they are blasters and not lasers.

This is from Star Wars Incredible Cross-Sections by David West Reynolds who was "given unrestricted access to the famed Lucasfilms archives at Skywalker Ranch":

AT-AT_800.jpg

And from here: http://wso.williams.edu/~rfoxwell/starwars/ships/ATAT.htm

Their 15-meter-tall frame provides seating for up to 40 troops and necessary equipment. There is little that can damage an AT-AT Walker; their centimeters-thick armour provides protection against all but the heaviest artillery guns. For firepower, the AT-AT is equipped with two heavy laser cannons mounted on the "chin" of the Walker's "head" and two medium blasters are mounted on the sides of its "head".

And here: http://galactic-voyage.com/Dark%20Side-Ground%20Vehicles-AT-AT%20All%20Terrain%20Armored%20Transport.htm

Craft: Imperial All Terrain Armored Transport Walker (AT-AT)

Type: Walker

Height: 15.5 Meters Tall and 20.6 Meters Long

Weapons: 2 Heavy Laser Cannons

2 Fire-Linked Medium Blasters

4 Durasteel Feet

5 Speeder Bikes

Crew: 5

Top Speed: 60 Kilometers per hour over even terrain

Troop Capacity: 40 Troops or 2 AT-STs

Cargo Capacity: 1 Metric Ton

Passengers: 40

The imposing Imperial walker used by the Empire for ground assaults, such as the attack on Rebels’ Echo Base on Hoth. Encased in a heavy armor shell, AT-ATs are almost impossible to damage with conventional weapons, and their unceasing approach causes fear in even the most hardened Rebel soldiers.

In excess of 15 meters tall and 20 meters long, AT-ATs can stride across a flat battlefield at up to 60 kilometers an hour, approaching enemy installations with surprising speed. Once engaged, AT-ATs deliver devastating laser blasts from the cannons mounted beneath the cockpit. They also utilize head-mounted medium blasters to provide cover fire for ground troops. Because the AT-ATs head can sweep from side to side, or up and down, the vehicle has an impressive field of fire.

Originally posted by Majin Revan

Odd, I seem to remember the Imperial commanders saying something about "directing all power from shields to laser cannons" or something. I also remember something about the AT-AT's loosing their shields when they fell down (which is why Snowspeeders could blow them up when they fell down, not when they were upright).

I just watched the Battle of Hoth again (I've been watching it since before you were born. Maybe you need to watch it again too). General Veers says nothing even close to that. He says:

General Veers

Yes, Lord Vader.

I've reached the main power generators. The shield (referring to the Rebels' shield) will be down in moments. You may start your landing.

Now, Luke Skywalker does say this during the battle:

Luke Skywalker

That armor's too strong for blasters!

Now as to why the AT-AT became vulnerable after it was tripped, as darthviper107 pointed out:

The Empire used AT-AT Walkers to attack the the Rebels on Hoth. Blizzard Force, as the group of Walkers was known, was comprised of five AT-ATs, several AT-STs, and a complement of support craft and troops. The Rebels managed to destroy one Walker using an ingenious attack plan devised by Luke Skywalker and Beryl Chiffonage. The Rebel Snowspeeders, finding that their blaster cannons were having no effect on the Walkers' armour, dove under and between the Walkers' legs and fired harpoons with tow cables. Only Rogue 3 (Wedge Antilles and Wes Janson) were successful in snaring a Walker. The Walker became entangled and tripped, enabling the Snowspeeders to fire into a chink in its armour behind the "head" and destroy it.

I have not found even one mention of AT-ATs having shields. Just because anyone can give AT-ATs shields by simply editing a text file doesn't mean that it should be done.

But, I guess it is Duncan_10158's choice whether (spelling?) he wants them to have shields.

I'm glad we agree on something.

Generally, rather than just opening up the .veh files and increasing things and adding things randomly, it's wise to do some research first so you have some authenticity.

BTW, there were no green AT-AT projectiles or laser blasts in the movie.

EDIT: as for the height, the references quoted above say that an AT-AT is approx. 15 meters high. If a standard humanoid in the game is, say, 6 feet tall (1.83 meters), and characters are 64 mapping units high, that means 64/1.83 = 35 mapping units per meter of height. 15 meters x 35 mapping units per meter = 525 mapping units as the "scale" height of an AT-AT. By comparison, an AT-ST is 272 units tall.

Thank you Amidala. Umm, do you think I should remove the shields and heighten the armor level up very high. I think I may need to do that for the toughness too.

BTW- Amidala, what is the toughness used for in the text files anyway? Is it how tough it is to destroy?

I guess it is up to Duncan_10158 to decide (I'm glad we agree on it too).

Yes, I know that the lasers were all red, I've known this from the start. But, like I said a few pages (before the flaming) ago, I made the alternate fire green so people can tell what is being shot at them. They may want to know in case they are in a vehicle that can withstand at least primary fire. They may be able to sit and get shot at a few times, and may need to run away when they see lasers that can't be handled by their vehicle. I don't know, that is just how I think. I guess that is up to Duncan_10158 also.

Yes, you are right I guess about the primary fire (side blasters) being blasters, not lasers, but the chin-mounted cannons are laser cannons.

My pick is actualy my ship the mrJay assassin its beta form was often refered to in KOTOR FLIGHT SCHOOL as the tie wing (ohhh I hate that name) But it has its newer skin and body yes Ive loved it since jo and kotor hq days.

The back ground you will get a beter look at as soon as zappa post the interview it is the blue gas planet and the demon head nebula .

(my wonderfull assistant War Shark set it up in a sig for me and hosted it .So I think equal credit him for the sig me for the ship ,planet and nebula )

And seriously Duncan if you see this please read email soon I must remove it from site !!

KOTORMRJay

Thank you Amidala. Umm, do you think I should remove the shields and heighten the armor level up very high. I think I may need to do that for the toughness too.

BTW- Amidala, what is the toughness used for in the text files anyway? Is it how tough it is to destroy?

I guess it is up to Duncan_10158 to decide (I'm glad we agree on it too).

Yes, I know that the lasers were all red, I've known this from the start. But, like I said a few pages (before the flaming) ago, I made the alternate fire green so people can tell what is being shot at them. They may want to know in case they are in a vehicle that can withstand at least primary fire. They may be able to sit and get shot at a few times, and may need to run away when they see lasers that can't be handled by their vehicle. I don't know, that is just how I think. I guess that is up to Duncan_10158 also.

Yes, you are right I guess about the primary fire (side blasters) being blasters, not lasers, but the chin-mounted cannons are laser cannons.

If it were up to me, if you are striving for authenticity (and why wouldn't you unless it throws game balance way off), I would have no shields but lots of armor.

Raven's Vehicle Tutorial

armor; //total points of damage it can take

toughness; //modifies incoming damage, 1.0 is normal, 0.5 is half, etc. Simulates being made of tougher materials/construction

I would leave toughness at default. I would only change that value if they vehicle was made of some very exotic material (like cortosis).

I think a lot of Star Wars geeks are going to be bothered by having non-canon green blasts, just because you have this crazy idea that people are going to sit and be shot at by a AT-AT if the blasts are green, but run if they are red. I think you have to have a good reason to sacrifice authenticity, and that's not a good reason.

I never said the main armament was anything other than laser cannon, everyone agrees on that. There was some confusion on the secondary armament, but everything I have found says they are blasters (like very large versions of the E-11 Stormtrooper rifle).

And height should be 525.

And try not to have 2 or 3 posts in a row. Use the edit button more and the post reply button less please. Spamming to increase your post count is pathetic. Cut and paste the stuff from your spammy extra posts into one post, then delete the spam.

well I personaly don't care much about post count but I do find some repetive post mostly the long ones anoying ,and most of them can be made short by just using a link to the site and a short reference to the info.But edit as you pointed out works well for that.

Originally posted by WaR_ShArK_aX

AT-ATs never had shields... That'd be like giving TIEs shields....

Heh, it's funny how the Empire can actually be hypocritical at times. Shields, in the view of Imperials, are tools of cowards. For this reason, along with the need to mass produce vehicles cheaply, is why TIEs and AT-ST and AT-AT Walkers don't have shields. But other ships, like Star Destroyers, do have shields. Heh, what happened to shields being "tools of cowards?" Imperial Officers scared of their ship going boom? :p

Originally posted by KOTORMRJay

well I personaly don't care much about post count but I do find some repetive post mostly the long ones anoying ,and most of them can be made short by just using a link to the site and a short reference to the info.But edit as you pointed out works well for that.

Sorry, I wasn't criticizing you, I was referring to majinrevan. You just happened to double-post just before I posted that. But this thread is full of majinrevan's double, triple, and even quadruple-posts.

yes I'd say about 100 at least (in truth I just need duncan to chek emial use the link so I can remove it form site )

and yes majavins (he'll catch on he's jsut young) post cover almost the entier screen every time ,so do most of these its just drives me crazy when I'm looking for a answer and I get pages and pages of one message or all the flaming that just now finaly ended ,it truly makes me question the effictivness of it all.(no offence ment to anyone)

Why would anyone bother about how many post's they have done???????????

'Ohhhhh, i want a big glow thingy round my name', that's just plain childish!!!!!

The purpose of Lucasforums is to get or pass on information or start a discussion about something, not to get as many posts as you can and get a stupid glow round your name!!!1

Originally posted by Dolmkazaahr

Why would anyone bother about how many post's they have done???????????

'Ohhhhh, i want a big glow thingy round my name', that's just plain childish!!!!!

The purpose of Lucasforums is to get or pass on information or start a discussion about something, not to get as many posts as you can and get a stupid glow round your name!!!1

What the hell are you talking about?

*looks at name*

:o

I'll remember that Amidala and KOTORMRJAY. But what happens if you edit something, and put something more important, but people don't read it because they have already read the post, and they miss the new info?

Actually, Amidala, the blasters are the primary fire (side blasters). The alternate fire is the laser cannon (the one I made green, chin blasters). Also, you sorta said it backwards. People would run from the green lasers, not the red blaster fire, since alternate fire is more powerful, and green is set as the alternate fire.

Also, Amidala, are you saying that I should leave the toughness at default, but put the armor up high?

Archived