Home

Farcry

legameboy

Any one here played the full/demo version?

I bought it yesterday and I must say it kicks ass.

I started a single-player game on "Easy" (I'm a sissy, I know :p), and I played for a while, it was extremely challenging yet refreshingly fun, too. The whole "Beautiful tropical island taken over by mercenaries" was a really new and refreshing setting. The whole engine that runs this game is completely amazing. This game has the best graphics of this time and beat Half-life 2 and Doom 3 to the punch. The physics engine is very fun to play with (I killed 7 mercenaries by shooting the ropes holding the plank bridge they were runing across and making them and the bridge tumble) and I think it's pretty much equal to what I've seen of Half life 2, also. The only dissapointment is that with such good physics I thought I would be able to bust open crates and such with a minigun. ^_^ The story can be confusing, but if you just play 2 or 3 levels in the picture starts to fill in, but it leaves some pieces missing then fills them in right when your about to die so you can find out. The AI is awesome, and the best I've ever played against. I was frantically running through a jungle with guns 'ablazin' and come to find out I missed my enemy... then he and another mercenary ambushed me from behind... pure genious. The gameplay is very fun, combining the story, graphics, physics, AI, weapons, vehicles, terrain, and sometimes long-range fighting to make one awesome thing to play. It gets intense, creepy, and at times, scary. Later on you half to face things that aren't exactly "human." You'll usually face these "things" indoors or in caves, and the music, sounds, and graphics give you a very frightning experience. Multiplayer isn't spectacular, it's your basic deathmatch, team deathmatch, and a mode they call "Assault." That is basically a dumbed-down version of Enemy Territory. What is really great though, is the modibility of this game, the game ships with a sandbox editor, and is really inovative because you can edit the map and place some guns and enemies and vehicles on it and just instantly play it inside the editor as if you were playing the game. The editor also comes with a fairly detailed manual, too, so you won't be lost. The source code and other things are said to be released in a month, so this game is really going to have some great mods. There are people already who have started planning awesome mods. I think that Farcry, released in 2004, is as revolutionary and fun as Doom was in 1993, and Half-life was in 1998.

One word: Revolutionary.

10/10

100%

5/5

:)

The reviews and pre-release stuff has been amazing for Farcry, the demo was awe inspiring as well - a demo!

I'm off to buy it today (Monday....2:30am already, ugh), I don't care how much money the shop rips me off of but I'm definately getting it!

Yep, It's comming out on X-Box, but if I had a choice I would go with the PC version. I have a GeForce 4 Ti4200 with 512 RAM and it runs perfectly with all of the settings but two one medium (one is on high, 2 are on low).

What are your machine's specifications, Tie?

I want it, i've been trying to download the demo but its too freakin slow!!! :mad:

And fileplanet seems to be getting from bad to worse, it stopped at like 77% and i had to cancel the download.

So im getting the full version. I heard its quite good! But the system requirements are a bit too high though.

Originally posted by Sam Fisher

But the thing is, a lot of the reviews say its a load of crap... werd...

I don't know where you're seeing that ?!?

On both GameRankings and MetaCritic, the lowest score is 80%.

The opinions seem to be that the graphics / AI / physics are all really good, but that the level design, weapons and gameplay don't live up to the gauntlet thrown down by the rest of the game. But they all turn around and say it is one of the best FPS in recent memory.

Mike

my comp plays it fine, though, as far as games go I'm disappointed.

Break down;

AI;

Even on the hardest setting, the AI isn't particularly challenging.

It's rare a game has good AI and this game is no exception, maybe I'm spoilt on multiplayer gaming, but FarCry's AI is weak.

Physics;

It's alright, though I wouldn't write novels about it, nothing new, been done.

Graphics;

Awesome as long as you don't mind flat vegitation.

Another one of those things I hate about games, vegitation never, ever, looks good unless it's a cutscene or it's been specifically worked on, and, for a game that's based so much in forest/jungle as FarCry is, it's appauling they couldn't do anything original.

Again, nice try, but, absolutely nothing to write home about.

Gameplay (overall...)

It's fairly open, makes a nice change for FPS Games.

Problem with it is it's tacky, seems unpolished, meh.

Oppinion;

Well I got 30 quid back for it, so not arguing.

Yea, I took it back to the shop the day after I got it.

Then again a game has to be truly great to impress me.

This is another one of those "stinks of mediocrity" games, that I can't stand.

Nice for the gamers that don't have much depth in the industry, though (ones that are either new to gaming, or that buy games for graphics..)

Wait...you took Far Cry back?!?

You're mad. Very mad. And you could've got 35 quid for it...so bleh.

Far Cry is an excellent game. Sure, it has its let downs (like the checkpoint system - that really pisses me off). But it runs like a beauty on my 9700 Pro.

Funny how you say the AI is 'weak'. I've read a lot of reviews and the majority comment on how good the AI is. In how many games would a person use the darkness to creap up behind you and shoot you in the head? I spend most of my time online (playing a lot of BFV), and I can tell you that the AI is actually cleverer than the average human.

The multiplayer isn't great, very slow compared to UT2K4, but then I just turn to BF or UT for all my multiplayer needs.

On the graphics front, Far Cry is beautiful. The water effects are superb, and with anti-aliasing at max, the graphics are almost better (or better, depending on where you look) than HL2. The jungles don't look great from far away, but its still gonna be a while until we can have full foliage everywhere from a distance, on screen, without fps dropping to 2.

Far Cry is excellent. Buy it. Now.

'Nuf said.

Originally posted by QuantumDelta

my comp plays it fine, though, as far as games go I'm disappointed.

Break down;

AI;

Even on the hardest setting, the AI isn't particularly challenging.

It's rare a game has good AI and this game is no exception, maybe I'm spoilt on multiplayer gaming, but FarCry's AI is weak.

Physics;

It's alright, though I wouldn't write novels about it, nothing new, been done.

Graphics;

Awesome as long as you don't mind flat vegitation.

Another one of those things I hate about games, vegitation never, ever, looks good unless it's a cutscene or it's been specifically worked on, and, for a game that's based so much in forest/jungle as FarCry is, it's appauling they couldn't do anything original.

Again, nice try, but, absolutely nothing to write home about.

Gameplay (overall...)

It's fairly open, makes a nice change for FPS Games.

Problem with it is it's tacky, seems unpolished, meh.

Oppinion;

Well I got 30 quid back for it, so not arguing.

Yea, I took it back to the shop the day after I got it.

Then again a game has to be truly great to impress me.

This is another one of those "stinks of mediocrity" games, that I can't stand.

Nice for the gamers that don't have much depth in the industry, though (ones that are either new to gaming, or that buy games for graphics..)

Are we even talking about the same game?

Yeah, Mike (or txa, if you just want me to call you that, hehe), you would like it, and for a change it'll actually have more than 10 hours of gameplay! ;)

I think everything about the game is superb, I really like the weapon's system, too. You can only have four weapons, which isn't ridiculously realistic (ala Operation Flashpoint), but I like this system better. There aren't many weapons, yeah, but I don't really care, there are enough to keep me happy. There aren't many vehicles either, but again, I don't really care in a game like this.

Once again I say, huzzah! Get the game!

The only thing I see wrong with it is the save system, which is Checkpoint-based. There are no quick-saves. Actually, I didn't find it that annoying though, ever time my enemies did something different and something else exploded, so it wasn't like I was playing a scripted sequence over and over...

Originally posted by Sam Fisher

But the thing is, a lot of the reviews say its a load of crap... werd...

Most likely because of the system specs, i find it quite high, even a Geforce 2 may not be supported, and only runs on cards that support directx 9.0b and have a memory of 128MB.

A 1 Ghz comp is required, but it will be as slow as a snail if you play the game on that. Recommended is althon 2400-3000+ or P4 2-3 GHz, and not everybody can afford that.

Im currently downloading the demo now, if it fails again i'll get the full version sometime.....

Yeah, it does push your computer hardware to the limit (not me tohugh :p), but I think this is the game that'll push you to upgrade your PC.

And really, I tried running it on another low-end system, and I put all the graphics and such to low, it worked fine. Hehe.

Checkpoint systems should be a thing of consoles, not PC games.

Also, playing it through on challenging is, well, challenging. At the moment I'm completely stuck- I'm outta all ammo, and there's mercs on one side of me and those monsters (I forget thier names) on the other. I'm trapped. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by legameboy

No ammo at all? No pistol, no dropped weapon, no nothing?

Trigens?

Damn. :p

Well, unless you count 5 shots on a sniper rifle, but thats not much use in close combat. There's no guns between me and any enemies - I almost made it running like hell.

Archived