Home

Lucasarts TV shows

daltysmilth

As you may or may not know, Lucasfilm created an animation department (which is the department that helps produce the Clone Wars cartoon). Which may or may not (and my money's on *not*) mean that they might start adapting some Lucasarts games into TV shows. Given that that's a distinct, although highly unlikely prospect, what Lucasarts game or games would you like to see made into a series?

I would vote for a Monkey Island series (although I'd rather have it be about "further adventures" of Guybrush Threepwood than try to directly try to adapt one of the games. Well, maybe the first episode could be an adaptation of Part 1 of MI 1.) The animation style would be Curse of Monkey Island, of course.

I'd also love to see an Indiana Jones animated series.

An Indiana Jones cartoon sounds like a possibility, but I thought that Clone Wars was being done by the Samurai Jack team?

Grim Fandango. All the way. "Tales From The Land of the Dead" - that would be cool. Especially with Nightmare Before Christmas style animation

*Ahem* By way of qualification, a direct quote from Lucasfilm.com:

"In 2003, Lucasfilm partnered with CARTOON NETWORK and "Samurai Jack" creator Genndy Tartakovsky to create the 20-part animated television series Star Wars: Clone Wars

Assuming this works correctly, you can view the full text here.

If not, just copy and paste this:

http://www.lucasfilm.com/divisions/animation/

There was, of course, the absolutely dire Maniac Mansion TV show which ran for 3 seasons. Not that I've ever seen an episode, but I downloaded the theme song and that was bad enough. Here are some quotes I have in a magazine:

Producer Barry Jossen, when asked how the TV series "Maniac Mansion" came into being:

"'Maniac Mansion' is a computer game published by LucasFilm. It has won Game of the Year and a lot of other awards. It's been very popular. There were a couple of people working here at LucasFilm around the time the game was published and they were working in the animation area - their names are Cliff Ruby and Elana Lesser. Cliff and Elana saw the game and played it a few times and saw that there were some interesting elements that were well-suited to an episodic comedy series. They developed some concepts for a television series based loosely on the game. They showed the material to George Lucas and he also thought it had some potential."

How closely does the show resemble the game?

"Well, the most important thing to consider here is that the game was the original inspiration for the series. Without the game, we wouldn't have the show and for that we pay great homage and appreciation to the game. However, when you get into the individual elements of the game compared to the show, what you see is that there are a lot of elements that really work for the game which don't necessarily work so well for the TV show. In reality, obviously, the name is the same. Both the game and the show are about a family known as the Edisons and both have as the father a man who is a scientist and inventor. But beyond that, the similarities sort of end. There are certain things you might pick up on and see as consistent but in many respects the series is its own unique property which has borrowed from elements of the game that work best for it."

Originally posted by The Tingler

I had never heard of this before. 3 SEASONS?! Where can you hear more about it? Can you offer the dire theme song for download at least?

Yes, two episodes were even released on video and you can own it http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3396755389&category=309

Take note that the box has been cut up and placed into a VHS storage case in this auction.

A transition from game to TV show rarely works, but when it does, it hits a home run. Example of a stupid transition would be Maniac Mansion (barf), and a very good transition would be the Sam and Max TV show, even if it isn't directly Lucasarts-related.

And yet there's heaps and heaps of stuff that Lucasfilm hasn't touched yet that, with the right people leading, could be turned into successful and hilarious TV shows.

Day After Day of the Tentacle

Tales from the Land of the Dead

Further Adventures of Guybrush Threepwood

I'm drooling just thinking about it...

BTW, that MP3 is dreadful...

If it was a Monkey island series, I don't think it'd need any explanation as such or any adaption of MI1 for the first episode, all it would need is for guybrush to crawl onto the beach out of the sea, look up and say 'I wanna be a pirate!' (ala the intro to EFMI, but better because that was crap) and then the title credits should roll to the CMI theme with loads of inserts of guybrush becoming a pirate and killing lechuck (all four times) and marrying elaine.

I'm not sure if it would work though, I mean, at the end of the day, it would just be a sitcom about a married couple and how they get through life but hey! here's the twist, ones a pirate (gay, male) and the others a governor (the gay's best friend, female).

If you don't catch my drift, it'll basically be Will and Grace in the 1700's, and we don't want that, the Flintstones worked, this won't.

Now sure, it'll be a cartoon, so iot won't be as sitcommy as we think, but seriously, how much action and comedy can you milk out of a married pirate? I say, one last game and then we're done.

What were we talking about again?

Zombies Ate My Neighbours was great *sigh*

The only LucasArts game I can see as a TV show is Sam and Max, and funnily enough, thats the one that got made. As far as I'm concerned, turning Grim Fandango into a show would be like trying to make a series based off Casablanca - on paper maybe it would work, but it wouldn't be a shadow of the original. And Monkey Island ran out of steam with CMI, they should have left it as a trilogy. Three great games, instead of a dodgy quartet with a good start.

It doesn't necessarily have to feature Manny at all - just stories based around characters who live in the Land of the Dead.

In fact, I thought quite strongly about scripting a TV show before I realised LucasArts would never agree to it. The two episodes I conceived were 'Lost in the Land of the Living' (where a poor garage mechanic gets stranded in the GF version of the Living World) and 'Sanspoof' (which tells the whole sinister conspiracy-laden tale behind the greatest runner in the history of the Cat Races).

Yes, I'm an educated writer. This was one of my more optimistic ideas from my teenage years, however.

And oh, so Dead Cousin Ted never put an appearance in that MM show? ;)

The problem is that any TV show could possibly go wrong if it isn't done perfectly, MI needs a combination of Comedy and Action, MM needs, well, strangeness, but the networks won't agree to that so they'd need to balance it with something else. Grim Fandango can be a perfect drama/suspense/action/comedy series, but if they put too much of one ingredient it'll suck. Zombies ate my neighboors would be interesting, but again, they have to find a way to make it really work.

Well, if I were in charge of making a Monkey Island TV show: 1. It would be a cartoon. 2. It would be a comedy-action-adventure show. 3. I'd use as many voices from the games as possible. I doubt anyone besides Dom could do Guybrush. At least, I wouldn't want anyone besides Dom. 3. The music, while all original, would be based on the themes from the games. The Monkey Island Theme, Act screen themes, Elaine's Theme, Lechuck's theme, Stan's theme, the Voodoo Lady theme, etc. would all be present whenever the characters were present.

Also, for the record, I liked EMI, except for the #$%#ing Monkey Kombat.

For the record, I loved all of EFMI. I wish Monkey Kombat didn't require you to write down all the responses though.

There was a bit of strategy involved too, like trying to steer the monkeys to giving responses you didn't have.

Wish the ending was better though. More puzzle-based, like MI2.

Archived