Home

Trojan Horses in the Pop-ups?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

*Resurrection*

This is still an issue. The Dark Forces mod forum at JK.net is still getting trojans in the pop-ups. Other forums are still getting them as well.

Is UGO ever going to do something about this? Why don't they just stop hosting the trojan ads? Come on UGO, it can't be that hard. Besides, aren't trojans illegal?

Whoa, I thought it had cleared up.

Ive noticed macromedia Flash ads on the sides (Have they been there?) Can't they cary Trojans? I mean, it is an Active X control, it runs a script, and if the ad maker wanted to, he could make the script download and install a trojan or a virus.

I think most trojans ARE illegal. It probably depends on what they do, but, if caught you would serve jail time, and maybe fine. Not to mention, I think they take away your computer using "rights."

Originally posted by ZBomber

It's still an issue. I still get adware from LF even with Firefox. Come on, why would you want UGO for a ad host? There are plenty of Ad Companies that don't have viruses ones out there. I even think Google is one, why dson't you try them?

I'd suggest getting the addins for Firefox, but I doubt it'd help and unless you actually want them, they'd be a slight waste of time. it's weird because as soon as I started with Firefox, I got no pop ups whatsoever. Go into tools, options, web features and check that the Block all popups box is checked.

Otherwise you have a pretty good spyware program (good from the creators POV) that seems to be hiding about. Have you got a spyware remover. there are some pretty good free ones on the web, adaware, spybot, and so on (the two I mentioned are the best free ones and can be run together)

otherwse, I agree, google has tonnes of money to give out and a lot of people are going to google for banner ads and such.

I'm still getting the trojan pop-ups too. Nothing happens anymore, my Virus Scan just tells me it cleaned a trojan and i move on. I also have SpywareBlaster, Spybot, and Ad-Aware, so anything my Virus Scan misses, they'll get. I'm not installing SP2, for awhile to let them work out the bugs and crap cuz I know it'll screw up some programs.

I never thought of this. I'll probably just wait and buy a new PC in a few years that comes with the latest windows, forget this service pack stuff, it M$ would just get there stuff right from the start, we wouldn't have to worry about this type of thing. Besides the patches/service packs slow your computer down too much.

BTW, reinstalling that software might fix the problem (that way it will be installed, set to Win XP SP2's configuration..) Unless SP2 messes up the registry... then the software is just... screwed.

Zbomber,

http://www.microsoft.com is friend!

On a more serious note, I think it was released like.. september 1st, and Microsoft is even giving away free CDs with it on! The total install is over 1 Gig, so, I wouldn't download it, the installer alone, would have to be at least 500 MBs. You can DL it with Windows update however.'

Also, Media Player 10 was released! Yay. Nothing amazing, just looks better, I notice DVDs and other video files look "slightly" better, but nothing amazing, like I said. The coolest thing about it is the buttons and the Icon!!!!11

No really, I do like the buttons :D

Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak

I'm still getting the trojan pop-ups too. Nothing happens anymore, my Virus Scan just tells me it cleaned a trojan and i move on. I also have SpywareBlaster, Spybot, and Ad-Aware, so anything my Virus Scan misses, they'll get. I'm not installing SP2, for awhile to let them work out the bugs and crap cuz I know it'll screw up some programs.

Yup, they were gone for a while, now they're back. Antivirus catches them, but judging from last time, I bet it won't be long before we get deluged in virus popups AGAIN...

i recommend at least a NON MICROSOFT firewall, for example zonealarm, preferably with integrated virus scan (also supports other anti viral software..)

complete with ad-banner-blocking, pop-up blocking, script blocking, email protection. it allows you to determine which software (or components) gets internet access separately for in and outgoing.. and much more.

plus it's easy to use.

the firewall alone is free, the rest of the packet cost some bucks :/ however it is worth it. really.

plus of course the aforementioned tools like ad aware, spybot etc. just to be on the safer side.

oh and mozilla firebird= browser; mozilla thunderbird= email client; ie, outlook<<<<< good.

yo. better is only linux. except you cannot use it because it (A) has a 2.4 kernal and doesnt supports your usb mouse OR (B) it has a 2.6 kernel and supports your usb mouse, but not your internal hsf modem anymore, because the modem vendor now wants 15 bucks for the driver. 15 bucks!! that's the tenfold of what i paid for the os.

Originally posted by lukeskywalker1

Zbomber,

http://www.microsoft.com is friend!

On a more serious note, I think it was released like.. september 1st, and Microsoft is even giving away free CDs with it on! The total install is over 1 Gig, so, I wouldn't download it, the installer alone, would have to be at least 500 MBs. You can DL it with Windows update however.'

Download size is 75mb's, which is still quite a bit, even on a 256kbps internet connection. Get it if you want, but if you're using a browser which isn't IE (Like Mozilla) it won't make any difference as it just works with IE. Doesn't matter though because everything it adds to IE is already available with Mozilla.

Also, Media Player 10 was released! Yay. Nothing amazing, just looks better, I notice DVDs and other video files look "slightly" better, but nothing amazing, like I said. The coolest thing about it is the buttons and the Icon!!!!11

No really, I do like the buttons :D [/b]

I've had Media Player 10 for a while now (beta), it's not too bad, at all, then again, it's all really just a simple design change and if you use skins then it generally doesn't make much of a difference. I use WinDVD for all of my DVDs and Quicktime if I can for other movie types so I don't really pay much attention to video files.

Originally posted by ZBomber

"firebird"

That's firefox.

*hits head* ha. true.

but since i am a support monkey i have several browsers from like 5 netscapes to 2 mozilla suites to 3 firefoxes and 1 firebird installed. however, firebird became firefox for some whatever reasons. being strange, i still use the birdie, also, i am to lazy to get my desktop straight and it's one of the "deseases" which come with 30 gb harddisks.. ;P

I thought about getting Media Player 10 beta, but oh well, I just never got around to it.

I'd say it's not worth it if it was worth anything. Fact is, it won't make the blindest bit of difference if you do or don't get it so I wouldn't worry about it (as you so obviously aren't). Get it if you want (this is to everyone in general), and if you don't it really doesn't matter, you get the same experiance. Most people use Win amp or some other such player these days anyway.

lfhack2.jpg

http://img75.exs.cx/img75/2209/lfhack2.jpg if it doesn't work.....

That is with Firefox. I would appreciate it if something was actually being done.....

EDIT - Who wants to have some fun?

OrgID: C00670894

CustName: bryan moyer

Street: PRIVATE RESIDENCE

City: indianapolis

StateProv: IN

PostalCode: 46268

RegDate: 2003-09-23

Updated: 2003-09-23

NetHandle: NET-66-90-64-16-1

OrgID: C00670894

Parent: NET-66-90-64-0-1

NetName: XGAMING

NetRange: 66.90.64.16 - 66.90.64.23

NetType: reassignment

RegDate: 2003-09-23

Updated: 2003-09-23

OrgAbuseHandle: ABUSE438-ARIN

OrgAbuseName: ABUSE department

OrgAbusePhone: +1-312-913-9304

OrgAbuseEmail: abuse@fdcservers.net

OrgTechHandle: PKR5-ARIN

OrgTechName: Kral, Petr

OrgTechPhone: +1-312-933-1046

OrgTechEmail: petr@fdcservers.net

lfhack3.jpg

http://img21.exs.cx/img21/8954/lfhack3.jpg

Go get'um boys.

So, bryan is responsible for our trojan horse's.

Interesting, but think about this first, before you email him/his ISP:

Theres this thing called IP Spoofing, it happens to me all the time, I get this attempted hack on my system, and a "stolen" IP comes up. Its spoofed, meaning it grabbed any random guys IP and basically blamed the attack on them. For example:

It could be 123.456.789 who attempted an attack on my system. But, they could spoof the IP, and use someone elses IP to take the blame, for example 66.90.64.18 (that dudes IP) so..Bryan could be innocent.

But... that may not have happend and it could have been him. Its tough to tell.

Of course, im no expert, I could have all my facts wrong. ;)

EDIT: Man Im dumb, that 66.90.64.18 is lucasforums' IP :rolleyes:

Forget everything I just wrote ;)

Archived