Home

I am understandably upset, apparently. (AKA: Mojo appears in PC Format)

Jake

Originally posted by Joshi

It was a stupid thing to do full stop. There are loads of reasons why they shouldn't have done it, but the fact remains, they've done it and there's really nothing much we can do about it, so I suggest that about two months after the fact, we just leave it.

I appreciate the suggestion, but remember who you're talking to.

Was that some kind of weird threat. I mean, if you'd been talking about someone like Jake, then yeah, i could almost consider thinking about being slightly worried, but talking that way to you.

I'd just like to point out that I wasn't in any way intentionally being rude to you, I was just stating a fact, cancelling Sam n Max was stupid, but it's been done and it's been about 2 months now (actually, how long has it been? I can't seem to remember) so we should sort of move on.

Originally posted by Jake

Its Activision not LEC who decides when to do European rereleases, right?

But wasn't it still LucasArts who had to develop (or at least pay for it) the XP versions of SCUMM? ActiVision couldn't force them to do that.

But I imagine it wouldn't take LucasArts very long at all to make SCUMM work in XP - less than a week, for sure. I mean, they have the source code, they know how it works. ScummVM etc had to figure it out, so it took longer. It would be worth that small amount of work if someone else wanted to re-release the games for them, because they'd see a return on it. I bet they could give it to an office-junior to do, even.

Or maybe I'm way off :)

Originally posted by Joshi

Was that some kind of weird threat. I mean, if you'd been talking about someone like Jake, then yeah, i could almost consider thinking about being slightly worried, but talking that way to you.

I'd just like to point out that I wasn't in any way intentionally being rude to you, I was just stating a fact, cancelling Sam n Max was stupid, but it's been done and it's been about 2 months now (actually, how long has it been? I can't seem to remember) so we should sort of move on.

Uhh, Joshi, I was insulting myself. Don't read too much into what I say. ;)

The thing with Sam & Max is that developments costs will have been somewhat higher than "usual" due to having to get the engine working. I read that bits of it were cobbled from other engines (RTX, MI5?) but they all still needed integrating with the point & click interface.

But once the Sam & Max engine was built, much like SCUMM, the development times and costs of subesquent games using the same technology/engine will have been significantly lower.

I can't help but think that the Sam & Max decision was short-sighted. The real payoff to come with future Adventure games using the technology developed during S&M's creation.

:(

True, Sam & max2 was using a point n click interface within an actual 3d environment (as apose to 3d models with rendered paintings in the background. I think it was basically going to be like Broken Sword 3, but with a mouse) which can abd probably will be utelised in future games.

Archived