Home

Loom With A View

The Tingler

Sorry, I just had to use that subject title.

They say you learn something new every day, and although this information may be of no interest to many users of mixnomojo.com it was certainly a shock to me.

I never knew Loom was released on CD.

I never knew it had a 256-colour version.

I never knew the soundtrack had been remastered in the same way that SOMI had.

But the biggest shock was discovering the Full Audio Dialogue!

I snapped it up for the measly sum of £1 (the Kixx budget version) and am now enjoying Loom as I never knew I could enjoy it.

My two questions now are: why the hell didn't LucasArts give SOMI and MI2 the full voice works, and has any other Pre-MI2 LucasArts adventures (Indy, Zak McKracken and Maniac Mansion) been released in this newfangled CD format?

EDIT: Just after posting this I read 'The Many Versions of Zak McKracken thread just below it. Ah.

That's probably what they said about Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max and COMI.

Second hand games shops.

Specifically, if you live near Bolton (near Manchester) and go to Button Basher games just up the road from McDonalds, you'll find a copy for the same price! ;)

They didn't do SOMI or MI2 (although I think they might have tried with the latter) because there was too much dialogue and the technology wasn't quite there yet (esp with SOMI).

LOOM Talkie is actually a CUTDOWN version of the game, because they couldn't even fit that much dialogue in!

The best version of LOOM is the Japanese FM Towns version:

256 Colors

CD Music

Nothing cut out

(although there are no voices)

A LOOM talkie is definitely worth playing though, I really enjoyed it myself!

Originally posted by The Tingler

That's probably what they said about Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max and COMI.

The difference being that these games didn't have releases without the voices, they were inherent in the game making. With SOMi and MI2, we're so used to our own way of interpreting how things are said that to have someone come along and make it definate would ruin it for us.

I don't know, I think it would be kinda cool to hear Dominic Aramato go through and do all the voices for guybrush, nowadays I always hear his voice when i play them anyway.

And yes, i'm pretty sure I spelled his name wrong, shame, shame.

• 2 weeks later...

Geez, I feel like an idiot.

I just blew £20 on Loom CD from eBay.

It is normally much cheaper, but this came with the Book of Patterns.

I think I've been Welshed on the deal anyway. The guy will probably keep my money for himself. Boo.

I have completed the 16 colour ( or low-res or whatever its called) ages ago - and it only took me around 12 hours.

I play the voice of Dom in my head anyway, having it actually recorded wouldn't make any difference.

Originally posted by Joshi

The difference being that these games didn't have releases without the voices, they were inherent in the game making. With SOMi and MI2, we're so used to our own way of interpreting how things are said that to have someone come along and make it definate would ruin it for us.

DOTT and S&M have floppy disk counterparts with only text (save the intros). But yeah, those games were made with voice acting in mind while the dialogue of Monkey 1 and 2 was meant to be read, not heard. I wouldn't kill people over it but I think adding voices (even if the great Dom were to be involved) would be a not-so-good idea. We create our own voices for Guybrush in those two games, and those lines are read a certain way.

BTW, how exactly did FOA work? I know the CD-ROM version wasn't released until some time after the original floppy version, while DOTT/S&M had both at about the same time. Was voice acting always planned for this game? Just wondering.

I still quite like the Emperor's Tomb voice (whose name escapes me for the moment). He was a bit humourless, though.

I liked Doug in Fate, but not as much in Infernal Machine. Still, IM's probably my favourite Indy game, so I'll let him off.

Archived