Home

post your realistic dream car here:

--ZeeMan--

Originally posted by --ZeeMan--

chevy's where the real power is :D

I've got plenty of respect for Chevies, but MOPAR is where the real power is, my friend. Specifically, I'm talking about the various incarnations of the 426 Hemi, to include the non-Chrysler derivatives that still dominate the fastest classes in drag racing today.

A Ray Barton-prepped Hemi (a stroker, of course) putting out 650 brake HP (and still running on crappo pump gas) in a '69 Plymouth Road Runner would be a wicked ride.

'69 Road Runner

A '68 Plymouth Hemi 'Cuda would also be excellent, but they were put together for Chrysler by Hurst and were intended solely for the drag strip (though some crazies bought them for street use).

'68 Hemi 'Cuda

Now, with respect to Chevy, one of the Gen V big blocks (also stroked, of course) in a '68 Pontiac Firebird (nicer lines than the '68 Camaro, IMO) would also be super sweet.

'68 Firebird

"realistic dream" car....... huh ?

anyways, I dont bother dreamin about ferraris etc coz I know I'll never freakin get one unless I win the lotto.... realistically, though I would really like wither a honda accord euro or a toyota prius(w the hybrid electric - fuel engine)..... I'll probably upgrade my current car, a honda hrv, in a cpl of years, so I'll most likely get one of these two......

ho hum

mtfbwya

ooh kale knows the stuff :D but my response to that is: generally speaking, everyone acknowledges the 68 camaro as being the epitome of muscle cars, with this coming from stang, cuda, charger, etc... owners :D

(besides, you dont' see any camaro's getting wrecked in movies now do you? why? too expensive and too nice to wreck ;))

Originally posted by --ZeeMan--

ooh kale knows the stuff :D but my response to that is: generally speaking, everyone acknowledges the 68 camaro as being the epitome of muscle cars, with this coming from stang, cuda, charger, etc... owners :D

Don't get me wrong, I like the Camaro a lot and the first car I can actually remember riding in was my father's '68 Z/28 (I was around 4 at the time, way back there in 1974). If we're going to talk about the epitome of muscle cars, though, there are 2 acknowledged big contenders--the 1970 LS-6 Chevelle and the 1970 Hemi 'Cuda (going by Hot Rod, Popular Hot Rodding and Car Craft 'Top 10' lists). '69 ZL-1 Camaros and Corvettes also rank highly, but like the Hurst-prepped '68 Hemi Darts and 'Cudas they aren't 'street' cars and are generally removed from the running accordingly.

If you want to talk about the one that really made the muscle car trend take off, look no further than the '68 Road Runner. High HP motor, no frills to keep the weight down and plenty of additional peformance options to satisfy the truly power hungry while still keeping the overall cost to an absolute minimum. The '68 model was only eclipsed by the '69 model, which not surprisingly was Motor Trend's Car of the Year.

SO, while many MOPAR freaks would sell their soul along with their wife and children for an '70 Hemi 'Cuda, it would take a tricked-out '69 Road Runner to get me to do the same. :D

Another big factor that makes me choose MOPAR (with Hemi engines in particular) over a big-inch Chevy is simply the wicked sound that a hot Hemi makes. Sure, a fat Chevy through 3" full-length pipes sounds great, but a Hemi rumbling through those same 3" pipes will steal your soul if you don't hold on to it both hands. The down side is that a hot Hemi will set you back around $15,000 whereas a comparable Gen V big block Chevy can be had for around $10,000.

(besides, you dont' see any camaro's getting wrecked in movies now do you? why? too expensive and too nice to wreck ;))

Which is silly, actually, considering you can't turn around in a parking lot back home in Texas without bumping into at least 2 of the buggers in the model range of '67-'73. They're just freaking everywhere (yet another reason to have a Hemi car--not everyone has one). :D

true dat

btw, i have nothing against mopar :D just fords :p

a friend of mine raced a 70 or 71 charger, 383, with a 5.0 v8 nos system against a civic si with other "stuff" done....pulled off a 7.75 1/4 time and beat the civic by 5 seconds :D

Archived