Home

Holowan Laboratories - News @ RPGDot

CDRSeadog

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*chuckles* Never a problem, RedHawke - and its good to know that my newsbits may be having a rather modest afffect on your modsite's "bean counter" *chuckles again*

Indeed, I do seem to have missed this "Envida", Darkkender - I'll try to find what I missed and catch this on my next report - though that may be difficult with my increased workload as an Editor/Game Reviewer - and the fact that the modding pace here at the Holowan has increased to such a degree as to make a "Holowan Report" a necessity for each day that I actually do RPGDot reporting (for the record, my reporting days are every SAT/TUES/THURS AM). And trust me - to do a Holowan report on that kind of schedule would be difficult because:

(1) It takes quite some time just to sift through all the forum threads to sort out just what is new, what is fantasy, and what is pure BS.

(2) Then there is the small matter of doing whatever quick research I can to best report on each newsbit (i.e. has the mod been done before - and if so, by whom? Is this a valid mod [worth reporting] or is this mod still too buggy to make mention of? Is this mod nothing more than a cheap ripoff of someone else's work? Did I alread do a report on this mod with an earlier edition of my Holowan Reporting? etc., etc., etc.)

(3) Lastly, there is the actual composition of a Holowan report - with quick decisions as to how to do the actual newsbits, in what order should they be done, should I include excerpts and quotes for a particular newsbit, etc...then the actual typing of the newsbit itself (and that is a challenge in itself - seeing as how I've been very "physically challenged" for years - which means my typing skill and speed are such that - what would take a normal individual ten minutes to do, would probably take me 30 or more minutes to do:-)

Nevertheless, I shall continue to do my Holowan Reporting for so long as my fingers, my ability to report, and my Editor-In-Chief are willing:-)

Ahem - I didn't mean to get carried away with what it takes to make a report *chuckles still* Welcomed aboard, Kampher - and may you have many more (and successful) mods to be added to your future credit.

My friends...Achilles...Cchargin...always the gentlemen - and you are both welcomed:-)

It takes quite some time just to sift through all the forum threads to sort out just what is new, what is fantasy, and what is pure BS.

You know CDR, that one line sums up so much with so few words... that would make an excellent signature line for yourself... hehe ;)

and as T7 stated, your work is very appreciated. It's easy enough for us to toot our own horns, but when it gets posted by an editor/reviewer on a completely different site... well it adds a little substance to the mod and work put into it. Thanks for being the window to the modding world.

p.s. - still thinking about taking a stab at TSL modding? I remember you mentioning that you might get the "itch"...hehe

Thanks my friends...T7nowhere...ChAiNz.2da. Ummm - I'd like to get back into KotOR modding - just haven't really had the time of late - to be honest - while I've installed KotOR 2 on my PC, created a KotOR 2 modfile, and downloaded various Holowan KotOR 2 mods that interest me - I haven't even had the time yet to just sit down, relax, and even start my PC version for the first time. Ahh well, one of these days...

I'd like to let everyone here at the Holowan Laboratories know about a few, albeit major, changes that are taking place even as I am writing this re my "Holowan Reports" at RPGDot.

First and foremost - it has taken more and more of my very limited capability to do any sort of justice to my Holowan Reports of late. This is due to a number of reasons:

(1) I've not mentioned it until now - but I am actually quite "physically challenged". While some of you know that I've spend the greator majority of my life either actively serving in the U.S. military, or affiliated with it as a "military brat"; there are but a very small handful of you that know I was "Involuntarily Retired" from my military service due to physical disabilities back in early 1993. What relevance this has in online reporting is simple. A good friend recently expressed concern that I was "not operating at 100% capacity". In all reality - I've been actually operating "at 75% capacity" on my good days, and more like"50% capacity" on a normal day, for more years than I really care to look back upon. This merely means that - while a normal person may do a newsbit in, say 2 minutes - my typing capability and coordination is such that the same newsbit would more likely take me 10-15 minutes to do.

(2) Beyond my diminishing physical capabilites in typing and coordination - the actual volume of mods/mod tools/skins, etc. - both for KotOR - and now for KotOR 2 that are being produced is - quite frankly - impossible to keep up with for a normal person - unless the Holowan Reports that I started become a daily event over at RPGDot...the challenges that preclude doing justice to any Holowan Reporting - I've already covered in an earlier thread here. Bottom line - the only way that I can insure the Holowan keeps getting the credit due to its Mod Engineers is to find a way to get more RPGDot personnel involved in covering the Holowan Mods (with some experienced guidance, of course - like myself) on a daily basis whenever possible.

So - for those of you wondering why I haven't been able to produce a good Holowan Report of late - now you know, and I apologize for having to let some of you down of late.

That being said - there is always a silver lining to every dark cloud - and I have such to add to this long thread.

Early on, I realized all of the problems I've been outlining of late with the Holowan Reporting in particular, and the mod reporting over at RPGDot in general...and while I may becoming less physically able to keep up - that doesn't mean that I am just giving up and deserting you all. I've been especially busy of late lobbying for my latest proposal (mainly newly created Editor positions(s)) over at RPGDot - which, I am proud to say - just became reality about half an hour ago. To see what I mean - I invite you all to visit the link below at RPGDot:

http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=1102&sid=b05f729b2a70990fdfdc1685a7300c5c

(BTW - I wrote the main advertisement myself - with one line added in from our Admin:-)

I will be very much involved with the hiring, training, etc. of all of the "Mod Editors" - so I'll still be around and involved with the modding communities for some little time yet (I propsed this - pushed for it - so I'll be damned if I am going to settle for less than the kind of mod reporting I am accustomed to doing:-)

Incidentally - should any of you feel that you qualify - then feel free to apply (though I warn you - for my own part - I'll be looking only for the very best people to become RPGDot Mod Editors:-)

So - until then - I hope you will all understand. I'm sure that we'll miss more than a few mod reports for now - that is both unfortunate, and regretable - but cannot be helped for now. The main thing is that I am now working on making mod reporting (for all modding communities) an integral part of daily RPGDot.

Thank you all!!

Originally posted by tk102

CDRSeadog you have my utmost respect for your past duties to both you country and to this modding community. You have my best wishes and my gratitude.

Your friend,

tk102

:cheers:

Couldn't say better :)

I will be very much involved with the hiring, training, etc. of all of the "Mod Editors"

Then the new RPGDot recruits will have the best "Master" ;)

Thanks for everything!

Darth333

My thanks. One of the best "bennies" of this job has been the Pay (just kidding - take a look at my ad as to the "RPGDot Benefits" Package *chuckles*).

Seriously - without question, the finest benefit has been in the meeting, and making, of such wonderful friends as you both...lady Darth333...and tk102 - though it should be known we were friends some little time before I left the Holowan modding to become an RPGDot Editor/Reported/Game Reviewer:-)

Congratulations on your success! I know how hard it can be to make your vision a reality and it takes real leadership to make that happen. While I am saddened to hear that you will have to take more of an administrative role, I am confident that RPGdot will continue to benefit from your contributions.

Originally posted by CDRSeadog

My thanks. One of the best "bennies" of this job has been the Pay (just kidding - take a look at my ad as to the "RPGDot Benefits" Package *chuckles*).

Seriously - without question, the finest benefit has been in the meeting, and making, of such wonderful friends as you both...lady Darth333...and tk102 - though it should be known we were friends some little time before I left the Holowan modding to become an RPGDot Editor/Reported/Game Reviewer:-)

Although a bit OT, since thanks are being handed out, I'd like to give you mine again, both directly and on behalf of the modding community that benefitted from your donation of a hard drive. When mine smoked, threatening to put Kotor Tool development on the back burner for some time, you really came through for me, and thus for this community, and I appreciate it to this day.

So, Thanks Again!

You are always welcomed Fred Tetra...and Achilles...I do count you both among my good friends here at the Holowan:-)

And I am confidant that nothing but good will come to RPGDot with my latest...I truly do believe - with more and more Gaming Developers having to shut down their operations or sell out to the larger interests, coupled with the decreasing number of truly new and/or original gaming titles expected to be released in the future - are going to make game modding a very viable (and very important) part of future gaming.

Originally posted by Achilles

Congratulations on your success! I know how hard it can be to make your vision a reality and it takes real leadership to make that happen. While I am saddened to hear that you will have to take more of an administrative role, I am confident that RPGdot will continue to benefit from your contributions.

I couldn't have said it better myself! ;)

Congratulations CDRSeadog! Promotions are always a good and noble thing! :D

Your dedication to "Bringing information on our KOTOR Mods to the masses", by reporting our goings on at Holowan Labs over at RPGDot has had a noticeable positive impact... and for that I thank you! :)

Originally posted by Achilles

^^ Wise Words.

To you CDR, my friend, you only need to read my posts to know how much I appreciate every report you've done. I don't think I could ever show enough of my thanks & gratitude. Not only for your service to Holowan and RPG but to our Country as well. It's people like you, that defend our rights so people like me can continue to dish out corny humor.. hehe..

On word of advice, don't be too tough on the new 'recruits', but put them thru one helluva Boot Camp!

They've got some big shoes to fill, but I'm sure we can trust they'll get (and continue to get) "proper" training for the job ;)

This still doesn't mean you can be a stranger to Holowan, we'll be 'expecting' to see and hear from you :lol:

Until next time my friend, take care :)

CDRSeadog I don't know that I can say any better than anybody else here the amount of respect and apreciation that I have for your Holowan Report. That is one of the reasons I have tried to help you as much as possible in the past month or so when it has come to releases of mods that were easy to miss. I am always available to provide a helping hand you need only but to ask.

I was not aware of the extent of your military service or the sacrifice it has taken upon you. But I am proud to have you as a fellow member at the Forums here.

For your new guy/gal let him/her know that I am always handy to provide mod release updates that are hard to find.

Who knows you may see my application. Though something tells me I'll get passed over. :p

I shall insure that all of our new RPGDot Mod Editor(s) know that they can call upon you for some help, Darkkender - and I highly appreciate it too, my friend.

Indeed, ChAiNz.2da...and RedHawke. Thank you, my friends - and fear not - I won't become a stranger to the Holowan:-)

Over at RPGDot (Link: http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php ), we now have our "advertisement" for the newly created position(s) of Mod Editor posted.

Normally, I would not bother making much mention of that fact here at the Holowan - but, seeing as how (at present time) the Holowan takes up the largest reporting time, volume, and effort of any modsite that we cover - I would think that some of you might well be curious as to what the position entails; I would hope that you might also be intrigued enough to apply:-)

Be that as it may - you can read our "advertisement at the link below (which, btw - I wrote roughly 99% of it:-):

http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=1102

First of all, just let me say that I've thoroughly enjoyed my tenure (thus far) here at the Holowan - both as an "Old School Modder", and as the unofficial "Bard" for all you Mod Engineers *chuckles*

That being said, I'll still always be around the Holowan Laboratories (or at least for as long as either the Holowan, or I, continue to exist:-) - but I strongly suspect this particular thread will be retired soon enough.

Many of you know that RPGDot has created the brand new position of "Mod Editor/Reporter", and while I am not really at liberty (at least not right at this time and point) to delve deeply into that particular topic - I can give you all an informal "heads up" as to what has been going on with both the Mod Editor positions, and with the "Holowan Reports":

(1) First of all, I'd like to personally thank those of you here that applied for the position(s).

(2) The number, quality, and experiences of all the individuals that applied for the Mod Editor position(s) was - quite frankly - overwhelming (to say the least). I can say this - the sifting through of all the candidates to pick out the (perceived) best possible candidates was NOT an easy task.

(3) Though the new Mod Editors have all finally been selected - I will NOT divulge any further information due to the fact that:

(a) Our Admin has yet to notify the chosen candidates that they have been selected.

(b) Additionally, there are a number of administrative details (i.e. Mod Editor "Handle" desired, e-mail addy's, Editor Bio's [if desired], Editor forum registration/personal avatars, etc.) that need to also be completed prior to being able to fully activate any of the new Mod Editors.

© And then there is the formality of "Welcoming the new Mod Editors to the RPGDot team".

(d) Then there comes the wonderful juggling act of balancing each Editor's desires, particular strengths and skills, hours of availability, etc., to insure a smooth transition into the RPGDot team network - this in addition to the RPGDot familiarization and/or extra "mod reporting" seminars I may (or may not) have to do.

(4) And, as a final note to all of you at the Holowan - while I am now taking a "backseat" to the Holowan Reports - I have no desire to "steal the new Mod Editor's thunder"...and yes, the Holowan puts out so much in the way of applicable modding material that it has been determined the Holowan will have a Mod Editor specifically assigned to it for mod reporting purposes (and that will definitely keep any Mod Editor "gainfully employed" just on it's own merit:-)

So please bear with me - it is now only a matter of hours - perhaps a few days - but soon enough, my Holowan Reporting thread shall go peacefully into retirement (unlike myself:-), while a new thread for Holowan Reporting will (I hope) be established by your new "Bard" *chuckles*

Well now, Padawan - as you have (by now) been officially notified by the Council that the force is very strong within you - should you not go and notify the nefarious miscreants of the Dark Side that the force shall prevail??

(and if you are confused by all that mumbo-jumbo - e -mail me

CDRSeadog@mchsi.com)

and I will enlighten you.

Congratulations, btw:-)

Thank you my Master. I shall endeavor to maintain the Quality standard in which you have set as the "Holowan Bard".;)

For Everybody else who is still feeling lost an anouncement is coming in the new "Holowan Bards - Holowan report at RPGdot thread"

Archived