Home

Cave of John the Baptist Found

obi

Originally posted by Kain

Oh wow! They found the cave of one of the authors of the New Testament! Man, maybe I should rethink my faith...y'know, because discovering a cave is SUCH a landmark in the history. This means there HAS to be a God, I mean they found a cave where one of the primary worshippers spent his existance...man, I feel the light!

i remimber when noahs ark was found too

To actual thread:

Remember that this is only an allegation from a single archeologist. Archeologists asserting to have found bibical sites happens all the time. That cave could be anything, and I personally believe Gibson was from moment 1 thinking this was John's cave, and simply looked around for things that might support his point.

To Obi's experiences:

1. I suppose she recieved other medical treatment as well, if so you're just stealing the credit from the health personel. And even if not, you'll have to understand that many such health problems gets worse or better constantly. In fact, you see those "miracles" all the time in magazines promoting alternative treatment.

2. Yes, getting healthy children is really rare...

But let's lay it put there, shall we?

Originally posted by Doomgiver

He was a big christian religion guy, right?

Remembers me of that story about a cave they found, i believe near the black sea or something, that contained scrolls about Jesus and something about Jesus having gone all the way to India and stuff...

But those scrolls were never accepted by the big christian religious guys of today, so...

The Dead Sea Scrolls

They were confiscated by the Catholic Church only weeks after they were found, and those fascist criminals kept them in closed archives for decades. Nobody knows how much was destroyed during that time, but it is clear that the scrolls depict a Messihan cult that - it is speculated - spawned Jesus. But if that was indeed the case, then Jesus would have been a radically different person from the one in the Gospels: A fanatical, militant terrorist and general troublemaker.

NOTE: The site I linked to has a hefty islamic bias. What is said about the Quran is about as false as it can get. If you want a thourough debunking of said text, you could read Ibn Warraq's 'Why I am not a Muslim' - although debunking the sacred texts is a somewhat pointless thing to do.

Originally posted by ShadowTemplar

But if that was indeed the case, then Jesus would have been a radically different person from the one in the Gospels: A fanatical, militant terrorist and general troublemaker.

The bbc did a cool documentary a while back where they tried to find "the real jesus christ" using only scientific and archeological discoveries. They also came to the conclusion that he was most likely a militant, a terrorist/freedom fighter and an anti-roman (and the collaborating jewish authorities) troublemaker.

Of course, it is pretty impossible to ever find out the truth about someone who lived so long ago, but there is just as much evidence for the "troublemaker theory" as the other one...

----

Since the bible is basically a collection of stories, it is highly likely that a lot of the people mentioned in it DID exist, but it is also possible that a lot of them were not as they have been come to be portrayed, and many were amalgamations of several people. It may well be that "john the baptist" was one of those people... so this cave may be one of the inspirations for JtB, but not all of them.

Originally posted by toms

evidence looks pretty shakey to me, could be anyone's cave... :D

If they find baskets and elves there... well, who knows? ...<.<

The bbc did a cool documentary a while back where they tried to find "the real jesus christ" using only scientific and archeological discoveries. They also came to the conclusion that he was most likely a militant, a terrorist/freedom fighter and an anti-roman (and the collaborating jewish authorities) troublemaker.
That made me think of The Life Of Brian, which I watched some days ago... brilliant! :D

*shakes head*

Okay, give me probably 4 days and we are going to have one heck of an interesting debate going on over in the Senate Chambers. I don't have time to get this going right now, but as far as the whole "just a bunch of stories" thing goes, watch the Senate in the next week; I'm going to attempt to dismantle that argument piece by piece.

If they find baskets and elves there... well, who knows? ...<.<
Now that was funny...

As far as other comments go about Jesus being fanatical, militant, etc. (or for that matter the issues raised in The DaVinci Code) again, watch the Senate Chambers, because I'm going to make things very interesting over there. I think the debate will be good, even if it doesn't change anyone's mind. But it might at that. Like I said, 4-5 days.

Originally posted by obi-wan13

Ok, well, since you asked..... ;)

Sorry Obi, I have to do this. ;)

First there was the sterotypical healing of a lady that couldn't walk. Her muscles were twisted in a way that is hard to explain. Let's just say she was handicapped. My grandpa prayed for her, and then she started dancing around the church. Dancing. She walks fine today.

Why we do we need medicene? Why be miserable when you can pray and get healed! Oh wait, you mean it doesn't always work...

Then, there was the time that God told me to tell my pastor's wife she was going to have a son. I thought it was weird at the time, but I was obediant and told her. It turns out, she was praying for a healthy baby, because her previous child was a mis-carraige. (I didn't know this at the time) She was pregnant and didn't tell anyone, and it was only for about a week or two, so no one could tell yet. Turns out it was a baby boy. His name is Caleb and he's 3 years old, and he's the hyperist darn thing you'd ever lay eyes on.

....yes Obi, we know only God could say that she was going to get a boy, when there's two different genders! :p

(Btw, in Buffy the Vampire Slayer(Not that I watched it alot, just got interested in it when there were reruns of the last season) Caleb was an evil facist male who believed in Christianity and despised females...:p)

Again, I'm sorry Obi...:p

No, you're not sorry. You love trying t get a reaction. But this is not the place for it. As I've said a million jillion times, this is not a debate thread. It is only to show people a cool discovery. So, if you please, don't do that anymore, and we'll all be ok. ;)

And Astro, Don't be jealous of John the Baptist because he has that awesome car. :D

To The Bapt Cave!

Originally posted by Tyrion

(Btw, in Buffy the Vampire Slayer(Not that I watched it alot, just got interested in it when there were reruns of the last season) Caleb was an evil facist male who believed in Christianity and despised females...:p)

Caleb wasn't a Christian, he was a follower of the First Evil. More like a Satanist. ;)

How did we get to discussing Buffy in a thread about John the Baptist? :D

"Bapt Cave", obi? :D heee

Archived