Home

Help fight cancer as simple as running a little prog in the background!

Guardian Omega

I don't see how putting a suspicious program on your computer that wastes your cpu is going to find a cure for cancer.

Medicine makers are paid billions to research cures, I don't think they wouldn't have enough money to use their own computers.

Even if this did work, what does it do?, send files to your computer to be calculated?? Anyones equasion can be calculated in a second with a computer.

TiE

Originally posted by Tie 23

meh, I don't care.

You will if you or a loved one ends up getting Alzheimer's or one of the other diseases related to proteins not working correctly. It can happen to anyone, y'know.

To put it simply, it's research being done on how proteins assemble, or "fold." Folding@Home is researching this process to help prevent such diseases as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow, and Parkinson's disease to name a few. This definitely looks like a project worth helping.

I'm not sure about the particular programs, but the concept (and certain programs--though the names escape me) have been around longer than the term spyware itself. In fact, I'd venture to say that certain types of spyware sprung from these original SETI and cancer programs. Just an FYI.

Archived