Home

Music, is music, is MUSIC!!!

Darth Groovy

New music (in the last 4 years) has been ALL ****. The golden age of Rock IMO was the end of the millenium, with KoRn fathering Nu Metal, Linkin Park breeding the only successful hybrid of Rock and Rap, the sympathetic hard hitting of Staind, and realization that Fred Durst is indeed the biggest piece of **** walking the Earth. There was the anti-conformist Rage Against the Machine saying what most people thought, pretty boy led Bush showing us prettyboys aren't just for pop anymore, Disturbed talking about the darker side of humanity, and Kittie showing girlies aren't just for oogoling.

Now people just need to drag Durst, Good Charolette, everyband starting with THE, Franz Fernindand, Modest Mouse, and Amy Lee into a hole, cover em in gasoline, and toss a few zippos in and watch the bon-fire go.

And for the record: AUDIOSLAVE AND VELVET REVOLVER ****ING SUCK.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Kain

New music (in the last 4 years) has been ALL ****. The golden age of Rock IMO was the end of the millenium, with KoRn fathering Nu Metal, Linkin Park breeding the only successful hybrid of Rock and Rap, the sympathetic hard hitting of Staind, and realization that Fred Durst is indeed the biggest piece of **** walking the Earth. There was the anti-conformist Rage Against the Machine saying what most people thought, pretty boy led Bush showing us prettyboys aren't just for pop anymore, Disturbed talking about the darker side of humanity, and Kittie showing girlies aren't just for oogoling.

Kittie is nu-crap ;P

anyways; with saying that all bands starting with THE is crap you make a very broad statement :p

are you saying that The Clash, The Sisters Of Mercy, The Stooges, The Rolling Stones, The Cure, The Cult, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Misfits, and The Beatles are all crap?

In that case I suggest you open your eyes :p

Now Playing: Type O Negative - Paranoid (Black Sabbath cover)

Originally posted by Acrylic

Wow. Just wow.

I honestly can't believe that you hate that type of music and prefer a band like Staind or Korn over The Beatles or The Clash?

Again, Wow.

EDIT - Flesh and Bone - Alien Ant Farm

I don't want to start a flame war over who's taste is best, but that sounds (looks) funny coming from someone who listens to Alien Ant Farm :p

;)

Now Playing: Blind Guardian - Don't Break The Circle

Originally posted by Pie™

I don't want to start a flame war over who's taste is best, but that sounds (looks) funny coming from someone who listens to Alien Ant Farm :p

I bought the CD like 2 years ago. Just thought I'd pop it in to listen to it again.

Somebody Got Murdered - The Clash

I think Audioslave is pretty good. I always admired Tom Morello's guitar noise, but was never too fond of Zack's nasel rapping.

I don't see what the big deal is. Soundgarden was around forever, and RATM were around for a while. Nobody ever complained that much about either or, but you put certain members of both groups together, and everyone jumps on the Haterwagon. I remember the same thing happened when Coverdale and Page made an album together.

Seriously though, compared to what else is out there, are they really THAT bad?!?!? Limp Biskit (Fred "loser" Durst ) comes to mind. Fred and Biskit is probably the worst thing to happen to rock and roll since ****ing Elvis died.

Linkin Park is not the WORST act out there. They are the ONLY ones that really seemed to blend rap and metal together smoothely, and still sound original. However I will be the first to say that Meteora was a lousy album, and I am starting to notice a pattern that they seem to follow. All of the songs really DO sound the same, and they are hiding behind a facade of really fancy coverart and anime inspired videos. I don't think they are going to be around much longer IMO. Alot of what they do sounds very processed, fake and over exagerated. It took them 3 years to come up with less than 30 minutes worth of music, and metora was mediocre at best.

Dunno about Velvet Revolver, because I never heard them.

You know, music always amuses me. People are the ones who **** music up, not the artists. People will rip on each other and get into big wars over which music sucks, and which music doesn't. Then when you get to be my age, you don't have to impress your freinds anymore, so you just listen to whatever YOU think sounds cool, and don't have to give a **** about what people think.

Originally posted by Pie™

Not Doom Metal; Gothic Metal ;)

Don't take any offense Pie™, but seriously, if it is gloomy and doomy and gothic, aren't all of those pretty much the same feeling and sound? Doom, Gothic.....whateva.

LOL! This reminds me of the time where I had to explain my music to people who came and saw our band play. They would want to know "What IS industrial music?" You try to explain that it is not really all that defined, then some hot rod comes and claims that Fear Factory is the best Industrial Band in the world, then I would argue that Fear Factory is a death metal band who likes to play with samples and keyboards from time to time. I actually was into Death Metal for a short period of time. (Deicide, Napalm Death, Godflesh, M.O.D.) Any of you remember a term called "thrash metal". Yeah, exactly. Ten years from now, it will all be found in the "Metal" section of your local music store. Only those local record stores that cares to take the time to micromanage every type of music by what it happens to be known as "at the time", will do so.

Then there was this horrible time after Nirvana dominated the radio, and group that had a singer wearing a sweater, or members with mussy hair were considered "alternative", a category which still bothers the ever loving **** out of me. It is like record companies wanted to say "Alternative", as in, "you deal with that ALTERNATIVE music, we'll stick to Bon Jovi and Janet Jackson over here." My conclusion, there is no such thing as "alternative" music, and you don't hear that term much now anydays.

I have been to record stores and found Ministry in both the pop, AND in the Metal sections, then some stores have an "industrial section", and EMF and Jesus Jones winds up in there. :rolleyes: Doom, Goth, Glitter, Industrial....Hard Core? Seriously who gives a ****?

As it is, nobody ever really knew what industrial music is, and somehow Trent Reznor and Nine Inch Nails got to whear it as a badge of honor, while the rest of the really cool bands either broke up, or faded out so much, that barely anyone knows about them anymore. I only found out last week that both Ministry AND Skinny Puppy had new albums out, and it was a terrible feeling that it took me THAT long to figure it out.

I remember it took me about 5 years to figure out WTF Ska music was. Then once I did, I STILL hated it. The same thing is happening to me now with EMO. Don't even mess with me on this "hard core" thing.

I think alot of really young ignorant people hide behind music in high school. Then there is always the arguments about who is true to the stlye they claim to play, and who is a commercial sellout. Keep in mind that MOST of rock in roll, is all recycled material. Trent Reznor did not do ANYTHING that Skinny Puppy, Ministry, and Killing Joke were not doing ten-20 years before him. Nirvana did not do anything that The Pixies couldn't do ten times better!!!! New Order recycled themselves out of the ashes of Joy Division, and Even Elvis ripped off of southern Rythm and Blues.

My advice, listen to whatever you like, don't worry about what people think.

Currently Playing: Frontline Assembly - "Millenium"

Originally posted by Mike Windu

Emo is pretty clearly defined :xp:

"Life sucks life sucks life sucks my dog died I crashed into a tree on my bike I'm a rich [enter race here] kid and I don't get to drive my corvette today cause it's in the shop getting decked out"

Yeap, pretty clearly defined for me :)

Replace Corvette with truck, and rich with trailer, and you have a country song.

:eek:

Currently playing: Controlled Bleeding - "In Penetration"

Originally posted by Darth Groovy

Don't take any offense Pie™, but seriously, if it is gloomy and doomy and gothic, aren't all of those pretty much the same feeling and sound? Doom, Gothic.....whateva.

No offense taken ;)

In theory you would think so, but if you listen to Opeth, and then listen to Theatre Of Tragedy, you will hear that the feelings in them are different. While the acoustic guitars of Opeth spells out "doom" in every sense of the word, Theatre Of Tragedy's sopran Liv Kristine combines darkness with beauty, and it's more romantic ;)

"What IS industrial music?"
When people ask me why I, the 'evil satanist', is listening to techno on my discman, I usually explain it like this; "It's not techno, it's industrial. While the techno-crap is oftenly purely computer created, industrial bands actually play instruments. Instead of the lyrics consisting of a horny girl saying "oh yeah, give it to me" several times, industrial music often have complex lyrics dealing with often dark issues. In other words; you could call it techno-rock." ;P

My advice, listen to whatever you like, don't worry about what people think.
Now there's some good advice :p

Most other people in my school haven't heard of half of the bands I like, and consider the rest as either "boring crap"(tori amos, theatre of tragedy) or "dreadfull noise"(darkthrone, NIN), but guess what; I'm different and proud of it ;):p

Now Playing: Bauhaus - The Sanity Assasin

[edit] Another thing I find hard to explain is the difference between black and death metal

The main difference would be how black metal often is about satan, and snow-filled kingdoms, while death metal often is more macabre...

Another difference is how most black metal bands wear corpse paint, while the death bands don't

Other than that, you'll have to listen to the music to hear the difference :/

The thing about Linkin Park is I never took them seriously in their lyrics. I just like the music cause it sounds good.

But I know thousands of hormonally enraged, depressed, PMS-ed girls listen to them every day and take it to heart.

These are the girls who listen to emo too.

Someone I know once said: "it's like music, if you like it, you like it. If you don't you don't. We not stupid critics who overanalyze every part of the song."

I would also like to add to that: Honestly, if you like it, listen to it. If you don't, move to another section of the store. Nothing too big ;)

Well sir, I listen to everything that is not country.

Some CDs you MAY be "surprised" to find in my collection.

Madonna

Bob Dylan

Al Green

George Clinton

Boogie Down Productions

The Temptations

Pantera

Nat King Cole

Frank Sinatra

Wagner

Tchaikovsky

Ravel

BB King

Jars Of Clay

Björk

Dido

Alice Cooper

Lenny Kravitz

Hall & Oates

Peter Gabriel

I like different music for different reasons. ;)

Currently Playing: KMFDM -"Godlike"

Originally posted by KBell

My older brother pratically worshipped KMFDM back in the day.

Thing that always worked for KMFDM is that they NEVER took themselves or their music seriously.

Lyrics from "Sucks":

Sucks

We like talking dirty

We smoke and we drink

We're KMFDM and all other bands stink

Our music is sampled

Totally fake

It's done by machines

'Coz they don't make mistakes

We don't have no lyrics

Our message is nil

We hate all deejays

They're makin' us ill

Whatever we tell you

Is meant to be crap

We hate all music

And especially rap

We don't like Michael Jackson

We hate Depeche Mode

We don't care for Madonna

Or Kylie Minogue

KMFDM sucks!

Our records have stickers

With a warning from Tipper

Cause they're no good for kids

If we get her we'll strip her

KMFDM forward

The ultimate sound

And a message from satan

If you turn it around

You might think we're stupid

But we're way above it

We don't give a ****

And the kids just love it

We won't sell to a major

For a couple of bucks

No doubt about it

KMFDM sucks!

Currently Playing: KMFDM - "Sucks"

Originally posted by KBell

For the record that matters, no they do not.

Look everyone: KBell thinks I give a **** about what he thinks.

For the record that matters to me: They suck and you suck.

@Acrylic: Meh, The Beatles make me ill, The Cure make me feint, The Rolling Stones make me spew, and the only one I take back is The Jimi Hendrix Expirence, and thats only because Hendrix is god.

Look everyone: KBell thinks I give a **** about what he thinks.

For the record that matters to me: They suck and you suck.

Holy crap Kain, I have some respect for you and all, but acting like that is just... childish? :rolleyes:

I don't think you give a **** about what I think, but if you don't give a **** about what people think, then why the hell are you posting on a discussion forum?

And what makes you think other people care what you think?

Just as you're entitled to your own opinion, so is he :rolleyes:

Now Playing: Satyricon - Walk The Path Of Sorrow

Y'all sound like a bunch of morons. "OMG MY BAND IS BETTER THAN YOURS. YOURS ARE POSERS AND HAVE NO TALENT BLAH BLAH BLAH." Good Lord. Whatever happened to respecting people's opinions? Sheesh. Look, they like their music, you like yours. There is no reason, NO GODDAMN reason that you should go and say something like:

Do you know what that makes you sound like? A 5th grader. A child. An immature idiot. And if you don't stop acting like that, that's what you'll be seen as.

So here's my final word on this. Play nice, respect each other's opinions and if you wanna fight about it, take it elsewhere. Not here. And you know which record really matters? Mine.

Originally posted by Rogue Nine

Y'all sound like a bunch of morons. "OMG MY BAND IS BETTER THAN YOURS. YOURS ARE POSERS AND HAVE NO TALENT BLAH BLAH BLAH." Good Lord. Whatever happened to respecting people's opinions? Sheesh. Look, they like their music, you like yours. There is no reason, NO GODDAMN reason that you should go and say something like:

Do you know what that makes you sound like? A 5th grader. A child. An immature idiot. And if you don't stop acting like that, that's what you'll be seen as.

So here's my final word on this. Play nice, respect each other's opinions and if you wanna fight about it, take it elsewhere. Not here. And you know which record really matters? Mine.

So um....

What are YOU listening too? :confused:

Currently Playing: Faith No More - "Ashes to Ashes"

i consider myself fairly informed into the scene of metal. i listen to alot of it, from all over the place, ManOwaR to Cradle of Filth. but my question to anyone wanting to answer, is how Death Metal, and Melodic Death Metal can be so damn different, when their names suggest they are so close :D

plaing atm: Children of Bodom - Trashed, Lost and Strungout

edit: something else i just thought of seeing all the pentagrams around here was that Mantas has broken off from Venom, and formed Mantas 666 , there are a few clips on his website and they kick butt. :)

Archived