Home

Music, is music, is MUSIC!!!

Darth Groovy

Well, in this topic we drifted off on a musical tangent which kind of defeats the purpose of the thread, but happens to interest me, as well as some other people.

Post about your musical preferences, post what you are listening too, if you play an instrument, or perform in a band, share that too!

I have currently been in 4 bands in my life. The first one was a semi-sweet punk band called "Trevor" where I played rythm guitar. Then I decided that I really suck at playing guitar (unless it is punk chordes), so me, and a guy I met in the Navy (he saw me wearing a Ministry T-Shirt, and we hit it off) decided to start an industrail band. We called it "Vent" , because it was a means to "vent off" our frustrations, and had some cool possibilites. We even made some killer logos based on it. Vent, actually went places, we did shows, had stickers, and got airplay on the radio. It was the zenith of my life!

Simultaneously, I was in ANOTHER band with some guys who had VERY DIFFERENT musical tastes, which involved Pavement, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Sonic Youth. This band was called "Drive Naked, Save Clothes". In THIS band we recoreded EVERYTHING we ever played, and had dozens of tapes where we would filter out what we thougth was cool. I became the singer in both of these bands, because some guys thought I had a good voice, and everyone else was too chicken to do it. This is where I gained my confidence as a singer. The advantage to being in two bands at once, is that occasionally, I could adopt certain poeple to play in our live shows from each group. Vent was too man gig, which most of the music was derived from synthesizers and sampling, but our live shows were more effective with real musicians, which is wear the DNSC guys really helped us out in major ways.

Then later after really missing the music gigs, I joined a metal band called "Syntryx", who were mostly doing Ozzy , Megadeth, and M.O.D. type stuff. I agreed to learn the songs, but I managed to turn them onto Alice In Chains, so we did two Alice covers as a compromise (for me having to learn how to do such metal bull**** like Ozzy, and Megadeth). We performed "Man In The Box", and "Would?". Even though they all broke up before our first gig. Most all of the members told me, that I was the only "REAL" singer they ever had....ah bands, and the madness/drugs that follow.

Currently, I am not in a band, but wanting to get back into it before I get too old. This time I want to do some grunge type stuff (Staind/Stone Temple Pilots) After I get my bills squared away, we will see what happens. I love singing! :)

Currently listening too: Ministry: "Shove"

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My band, as mentioned in the other thread was/is called Phatsaq. We wrote all of our own material. Most of the song titles are too...Well, they're vulgar, but not in a gross way. More like haha vulgar. But too vulgar to post here. If I had to say what we sounded like, I'd say a more upbeat Eyehategod, Iron Monkey, Bongzilla, or Crowbar with the occasional odd timing thrown in just to keep it interesting for us to play. I guess it was kinda like sludgy stoner type metal, for lack of a better term/vocabulary. So yeah...that was my 15 minutes in the sun.

As for what I'm into these days: Aborted, Acid Bath, Agents of Oblivion, Agoraphobic Nosebleed, alexisonfire, Amber Asylum, American Head Charge, Anal C**t, Between the Burried and Me, Bongzilla, Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, Burnt By the Sun, Butthole Surfers, Cannibal Corpse, Clutch, Corrosion of Conformity, Crowbar, David Allan Coe, Dead Kennedys, Dead Milkmen, Dead to Fall, Deadboy and the Elephantmen, Deeds of Flesh, Dillenger Escape Plan, Dysrhythmia, Epoch of Unlight, Eternal Suffering, Eyehategod, Faith No More, Fantomas, Frank Black, Genocide Superstars, Goatwhore, Gravediggers Jokebook, Gwar, Hank Williams III, Helmet, High on Fire, Iron Monkey, Johnny Cash, Kyuss, Lard, Lovage, Mastodon, Meatjack, Melvins, Meshuggah, Ministry, Mondo Generator, Mr. Bungle, Mudvayne, Nile, Pig Destroyer, Prick, Six Feet Under, Soilent Green (probably my all time favorite band, if I had to chose only one), Still Breathing, The Red Chord, Today is the Day, and Tomahawk to name a few.

Listening to Goatwhore-Sky Inferno (in my sig). I'm going to see them with Deicide next month on the 9th. I can't wait.

Musical Preferences

I'm primarily a Jazz lover, and also Classical, but also like 'instrumentally oriented' rock music (as well as 80's stuff and other rock I liked as a kid in the 70's like The Who).

My leanings are heavily towards Avante Garde music - loose (if any) rhythm and tonality. My classical tastes run in the Romantic to Modern as my favorites - so from Beethovan on out. Which is interesting since two of my favorites are Wagner and Reich - Richard Wagner who used the largest and most complex orchestras and orchestration, and Steven Reich who is a major composer in the 'Minimalist' genre ... which has very limited tonal range of motion and typically small groups.

Musical Instruments

My primary instrument is Bass - I played in Jazz, Fusion and Rock groups for years. But my first instrument was guitar, so I've always maintained some guitar chops. I have considerable manual dexterity, allowing me to play very fast but poorly constructed runs ;) In college I needed to learn basic piano skills for a music theory class I took (I got a 'minor' in electronic music and it satisfied all of my humanities ;) ), so I embraced that wholeheartedly.

So now I'm pretty decent at keys as well as bass and guitar. Most of my music life in the last 15 years or so has been playing around in my home studio, doing some light composition stuff.

Now Playing?

I'm listening to Pat Metheny right now.

Mike

Well, me and some guys are planning to start up a band, and I'll probably do the vocals, either gothic-dark, or black metal growling...

Anyways, for the time I'm mostly into Gothic, Industrial, and different kinds of metal (mostly black)

The 69 Eyes , After Forever, Alice In Chains, Ancient, Bathory, Bauhaus, Black Tape For A Blue Girl, Blind Guardian, Carpathian Forest, Children Of Bodom, Christian Death, Cirith Gorgor, Clan Of Xymox, The Clash, Cradle Of Filth, Crematory, Cruxshadows, The Cure, Danzig, Dark Tranquillity, Darkthrone, David Bowie, Dead Can Dance, Death Cult/The Cult/Southern Death Cult, Deicide, Demons And Wizards, Depeche Mode, Dream Theater, Edguy, Gothminister, Iced Earth, Immortal, Imperanon, Iron Maiden, Jimi Hendrix, Joy Division, Killing Joke, Lacrimosa, Lacuna Coil, London After Midnight, Love And Rockets, Manowar, Mayhem, (old) Metallica, The Misfits, Motorhead, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Nightwish, Nine Inch Nails, Nosferatu, Opeth, Rasputina, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Satyricon, Sinergy, Siouxsie And The Banshees, Sirenia, The Sisters Of Mercy, Skinny Puppy, Slayer, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Theatre Of Tragedy, Therion, Tori Amos, Tristania, Type O Negative, and Within Temptation

phew, think that was most of what I regularly listen to :p

Now playing: Type O Negative - Black No 1

Well, since we're on the topic of music, I need your opinions. The Screen Savers on TechTV came across an mp3 site that was cheap. 0.01 cents per mb. You read it right. All of MP3

It's a Russian site. When you click the english lang. link, you have to open the site again in another window. Anyways, back to the question: Is it safe to buy music from this site? You can use Paypal to buy music (when it's working). On the show, they said it was easy and a great way to get music, but they didn't know about the legal end of it...

As for my music preferences, I've been getting into some new age stuff and remixes of game music here.

Hehe

I’ve played Saxophone for about 8 or 9 years now. Other than my high schools bands, which I didn't really care about much, I've played in 3 different bands. One was a little ska band with me on tenor/alto sax, a buddy of mine on trombone, another friend on trumpet, one guitarist, and a drummer. We tried to play a variety of music, but the band was really just a gathering of friends. I was in another band very similar to this when I moved from Chicago to California.

My biggest group experience was while I was living in Michigan. Lansing to be precise. I was becoming more involved with my local Pentecostal church. From my church I volunteered to help out a local Christian drug rehabilitation center, where I worked at for 6 months. When I got there I found out that one of their biggest ways to raise money for the center was playing at churches all over the state of Michigan.

I met one of the head pastors, who was also the bandleader, and asked if they needed a saxophone player, and I became part of the band.

This band had to be the most musically talented group of people I had ever known in my life. The band leader played the keyboard in a fashion I never imagined. He did a crazy bass walk (since we had no bass) on one side of the keyboard, and played the rhythm and melodies on the other side WHILE singing lead. The guy was AMAZING. Then we had a guy working at the center who played Guitar. He was a previous "student" at the center, and also happened to be a fantastic guitarist. He was our only guitar player, but he and our keyboardist switched off between playing lead and rhythm.

Then we had a pretty good drummer for Tennessee who was still a "student" at the center. He played along with the band perfectly. And we also had 3 backup singers, providing all the vocals we would need.

I came in not knowing what to do at all. The leader just told me to cut loose, and I slowly did. After about 2 months I became a completely different Sax player. It was amazing. I switched between playing the harmony and melody with the guitar and keys, and was becoming more and more adept at improvising, which was sometimes forced upon me XD.

We played mainly Gospel and a "Christian" version of rock & roll. It may sound corny to some, but I think we rocked.

Anyways, I'm listening to Roy Buchanan right now.

I play guitar and bass,.. and have a pretty nice collection, thanks mostly to my dad who's a professional jazz guitarist and who sends me all his "hand-me-downs' when he gets tired of them.

See them here: http://66.90.64.18/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113039

Most of my playing is noodling around the house these days... I've just been too busy with work to try to get involved with a band... which is kinda ironic, since I work at the biggest music college on the east-coast.

I've been listening to a lot of Prog-Rock (Tull, Yes, The Dixie Dregs...) these days, although I really do like everything. I wish I played jazz better, because I'm sure my dad would have me gigging with him if I did.

Originally posted by Pie™

Well, me and some guys are planning to start up a band, and I'll probably do the vocals, either gothic-dark, or black metal growling...

Anyways, for the time I'm mostly into Gothic, Industrial, and different kinds of metal (mostly black)

The 69 Eyes , After Forever, Alice In Chains, Ancient, Bathory, Bauhaus, Black Tape For A Blue Girl, Blind Guardian, Carpathian Forest, Children Of Bodom, Christian Death, Cirith Gorgor, Clan Of Xymox, The Clash, Cradle Of Filth, Crematory, Cruxshadows, The Cure, Danzig, Dark Tranquillity, Darkthrone, David Bowie, Dead Can Dance, Death Cult/The Cult/Southern Death Cult, Deicide, Demons And Wizards, Depeche Mode, Dream Theater, Edguy, Gothminister, Iced Earth, Immortal, Imperanon, Iron Maiden, Jimi Hendrix, Joy Division, Killing Joke, Lacrimosa, Lacuna Coil, London After Midnight, Love And Rockets, Manowar, Mayhem, (old) Metallica, The Misfits, Motorhead, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Nightwish, Nine Inch Nails, Nosferatu, Opeth, Rasputina, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Satyricon, Sinergy, Siouxsie And The Banshees, Sirenia, The Sisters Of Mercy, Skinny Puppy, Slayer, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Theatre Of Tragedy, Therion, Tori Amos, Tristania, Type O Negative, and Within Temptation

phew, think that was most of what I regularly listen to :p

Now playing: Type O Negative - Black No 1

That's an awsome song. I seen Type O' open for Danzig back in 94, and Type O' pretty much upstaged Glenn by leaps and bounds.

Seems you and I like alot of the same stuff. At least you don't listen to that fake ass hack otherwise known as Marilyn Manson. (all the fake goth kids listen to that moron.) David Bowie (my absolute FAVORITE solo artist),The Cure, Skinny Puppy, Misfits, Danzig, Killing Joke, Tori Amos, Nick Cave, Joy Division, Depeche Mode, Jimi Hendrix, Love And Rockets, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Clash, Type O' Negative, and Nine Inch Nails... All of those are in my CD collection.

I have a large collection of old school industrial bands: 16 Volt, Evil Mothers, Pigface, KMFDM, Lard, Skrew, Chemlab, Pailhead, Revolting Cocks, 1,000 Homo Djs, Download, Coil, Tear Garden, Frontline Assembly, Front 242, Nitzer Ebb, Godflesh, Die Krupps, Die Warzau, Throbbing Gristle, Razed In Black, Meat Beat Manifesto, Hate Dept, Numb, My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult, Leæther Strip, Controlled Bleeding, Spahn Ranch, Young Gods, Excessive Force, and Sister Machine Gun.

I don't listen to as MUCH of it as I used too, but I will pop in some Skinny Puppy when I am writing or doing some kind of graphic work on the pc, and some Ministry when I am fragging online. Lately I been listening to Ministry ALOT again....hence the av and sig combo.

Now playing: Skinny Puppy - "Deep Down Trauma Hounds"

Originally posted by Darth Groovy

That's an awsome song. I seen Type O' open for Danzig back in 94, and Type O' pretty much upstaged Glenn by leaps and bounds.

Seems you and I like alot of the same stuff. David Bowie (my absolute FAVORITE solo artist),The Cure, Skinny Puppy, Misfits, Danzig, Killing Joke, Tori Amos, Nick Cave, Joy Division, Depeche Mode, Jimi Hendrix, The Clash, Type O' Negative, and Nine Inch Nails... All of those are in my CD collection.

That's awesome! :D

If you like Negative you should check out the 2 last 69 Eyes albums Blessed Be and Paris Kills... They are somewhat like October Rust by Type O ;)

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Helter Skelter

[edit] Oh, some great newer industrial bands are Cruxshadows and London After Midnight

sweetness :D

The Misfits - Nike A Go Go

Originally posted by Pie™

That's awesome! :D

If you like Negative you should check out the 2 last 69 Eyes albums Blessed Be and Paris Kills... They are somewhat like October Rust by Type O ;)

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Helter Skelter

I think I like Type O' because they don't take themselves too seriously, but they sound REALLY good in concert. They guy's Bella Lou Gosi voice kind of bugs me after a while.... (I guess that is more your dept) I never got into the doom metal thing.

Now playing: Leæther Strip: "Antius"

Originally posted by Darth Groovy

I think I like Type O' because they don't take themselves too seriously, but they sound REALLY good in concert. They guy's Bella Lou Gosi voice kind of bugs me after a while.... (I guess that is more your dept) I never got into the doom metal thing.

Now playing: Leæther Strip: "Antius"

Not Doom Metal; Gothic Metal ;)

Opeth and Tristania is Doom Metal :p

I like goils, bad goils all over this world ;P

Opeth - By The Pain I See In Others

Originally posted by CapNColostomy

Listening to Goatwhore-Sky Inferno (in my sig). I'm going to see them with Deicide next month on the 9th. I can't wait.

wow man, you get to see Deicide before Astro :)

as for me, never been in a band except for when I played the xylophone in primary school percussion class. I listen to all sorts of stuff. But I went through phases when I was younger and now seem to have phases over and over :(

Fave artists :

Metal :

Deicide

Morbid Angel

Goatwhore

Bolt Thrower

Cryptopsy

Sepultura(early)

My Dying Bride

Slayer(nothing after South of Heaven tho)

Hip Hop

Public Enemy

Ice T

KRS 1

Beastie Boys

Ultramagentic MCs

Electronica

Atari teenage Riot

Prodigy

Chemical Bros(earlier stuff = cooler)

Alternative/Indy/Punk/Rock

Sonic Youth

Mudhoney

Pennywise

Dead kennedys(early)

Sex Pistols

Smashing Punpkins

Nine Inch Nails

Led Zepp

Black Sabbath

The Doors

Funky !

Portishead

James Brown

The Jackson 5

Classical/Vocal/Opera

J S Bach, particularly for the Brandenburg Concertos

G F Handel, particulalrly his early cantatas and duettos

Early Elizabethan Airs, especially when performed by Emma Kirkby

:)

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head..... I;d have to look at my cd collection to remember more.....

Guh.. Let's see, in random order, here are my favorite bands.

The Sisters of Mercy, Inkubus Sukkubus, Bauhaus, The Cure, The 69 Eyes, the old Rasmus, Nightwish, After Forever, Within temptation, Lacuna Coil, Epica, Sonata Arctica, Therion, Dream Theater, Tarot, Autumn, The Gathering, Serpentine, Trail of Tears, Flowing Tears, Apocalyptica, Opeth, Tristania, Sirenia, Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, My Dying Bride, Penumbra, Deathangel, and Crematory... And some random others.

Now playing: Cradle of Filth - Damnation and a Day

Originally posted by GothiX

Guh.. Let's see, in random order, here are my favorite bands.

The Sisters of Mercy, Inkubus Sukkubus, Bauhaus, The Cure, The 69 Eyes, the old Rasmus, Nightwish, After Forever, Within temptation, Lacuna Coil, Epica, Sonata Arctica, Therion, Dream Theater, Tarot, Autumn, The Gathering, Serpentine, Trail of Tears, Flowing Tears, Apocalyptica, Opeth, Tristania, Sirenia, Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, My Dying Bride, Penumbra, Deathangel, and Crematory... And some random others.

Now playing: Cradle of Filth - Damnation and a Day

Well, it's good to see that we have a healthy difference in music taste :p

Now playing: Nightwish - Bless The Child

Straight edge 4 life yo.

Groovy, the straight edge bands that you named, are mostly punk, straight edge was (debatebly) started by Minor Threat, as you suggested, how ever, Minor Threat is not hardcore, but more punk. I would be happy to post some links to afew hardcore band sites if anyone is interested, but it DOES seem that alot of people around here have hardcore confused with metal, heavy metal, or punk of some kind... they are miles apart.

I listen to a mix of stuff.

Artists: Aerosmith, Barenaked Ladies, Billy Joel, Blues Traveler, David Bowie, Elton John, Fastball, Maroon 5, Matchbox 20, Matthew Good, Robbie Williams, Semisonic, Sister Hazel, The Beatles, The Wallflowers, Weezer

Which is so incredibly different from most of what you guys listen to >_>

Archived