The Star Wars DVD thread!

Crazy_dog no.3

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Sam Fisher

Wow.

You guys know how to discuss something into the dirt O,o

he he he. I'm just glad we're talking about SW :D Usually around here its !!!!OMG a whale got raped by a monkey!!!!

Well Spidey, I agree qith you about Kain, he would be diasagreeable to have around at the movies, do they have cinema theatres in Ohio tho, or is it still just drive ins over there ? j/k Kain :D:p

mtfbwya

Originally posted by Kain

To hell with you Spider:p

Actually, I'm quiet at the theater...unless I've seen the movie already. Then I make fun of it REALLY loudly just to piss people off.

No lie. I saw a pretty large fella let out a war cry and bitch-slap some young teenage dumbass punk kid in the back of the head when I went to see ROTK. The kid and his friends just WOULD NOT STFU. That was better than the movie, for me. They were quiet as a church mouse after that.

The story changes I spoke of earlier are when Vader is speaking to Sidious in the asteroid field. In the OT Vader knew Luke was his son, and in this new version he has no idea. Also, the ghost change is big story change, to me any way. these are not just visual changes but story changes. They aren't major changes to the plot I agree and maybe I'm being a pain, sure, but they are changes to the story line in order to fit ROTS evidently. Time will tell.

Originally posted by Kain

Actually, I'm quiet at the theater...unless I've seen the movie already. Then I make fun of it REALLY loudly just to piss people off.

So the important question would be whether you have ever seen star wars?

Ripping the LD's you own to DVD is perfectly legal (well, so far), but that's not the point. It's inconvenient to track down a bid on ebay and end up paying through the nose for the disks and the player. Sure, you'll get the widescreen trilogy without the SE or 2004 changes. You'll get behind the scenes and interviews (all the extras the LD's had to offer at the time). And the quality will never be as good as a professionally done package.

Lucas himself said something to the effect of "well if people want the originals they can just buy VHS."

Okay...

Lucas seems to think that "old school fans" who want the originals are also behind the times technologically and don't care if their tapes fall apart from repeated viewings (as SW fans have been known to do). Plus VHS is vastly inferior in quality to either LD or DVD. We like the new tech, we just want the old movie (cleaned up and optimized for the DVD format, just without the CG scenes and redubs of modern actors).

Originally posted by CapNColostomy

No lie. I saw a pretty large fella let out a war cry and bitch-slap some young teenage dumbass punk kid in the back of the head when I went to see ROTK......

CapN, dont use that "I saw someone else" routine :p We all know it was you who smacked up those dumbass teens, and they deserved it too, talking during ROTK :p

mtfbwya

Originally posted by Kurgan

Lucas seems to think that "old school fans" who want the originals are also behind the times technologically and don't care if their tapes fall apart from repeated viewings (as SW fans have been known to do). Plus VHS is vastly inferior in quality to either LD or DVD. We like the new tech, we just want the old movie (cleaned up and optimized for the DVD format, just without the CG scenes and redubs of modern actors).

He probably thought that if fans wanted to watch old movies that look like crap, they wouldn't care if it was on a format that looks like crap :D

YAY ! KERALYS IS BACK !! How ya been man !!
Busy. Good, really good, but really busy. Too busy to post here in the last couple months, much to my dismay... But I am officially back, for at least 2 weeks!

NOW, BoT: Honestly, what I would love to see is exactly what Spielberg did with ET: release both on the same disc. B/c that lets us see the originals and appreciate what they did in all the glory of a digital format, and also enjoy the new updates if they work for you.

But it's GL's prerogative, and like it or not, he can do whatever he wants with his own art. I'd love to see the OOT as much as anybody else, but on the other hand, the Revised OT (ROT) has its bonuses as well.

Mostly, I think both sides need to quit whining. There's nothing wrong with enjoying the SE's, even if you dislike them someone else may like them. And if you prefer the SE over the OOT, don't diss the people who don't. It's a matter of artistic taste.

I don't like the changes to the story line, minor as they are, but I'm trying to accept it because I prefer watching SW on DVD as opposed to the VHS format. I don't like it, but I'm doing it for George's sake I guess.

Maybe I'm doing it in the hopes that after ROTS is out, the entire package will make a lot of sense and all will be good again.

I don't, I'm done whining, for a while any way.

Nairb Notneb:

I don't like the changes to the story line, minor as they are, but I'm trying to accept it because I prefer watching SW on DVD as opposed to the VHS format.
You have read about the laserdisc rips to DVD I hope...

Maybe I'm doing it in the hopes that after ROTS is out, the entire package will make a lot of sense and all will be good again.
I think everyone hopes for this.

Master_Keralys:

Mostly, I think both sides need to quit whining. There's nothing wrong with enjoying the SE's, even if you dislike them someone else may like them. And if you prefer the SE over the OOT, don't diss the people who don't. It's a matter of artistic taste.
I think what makes the blood of folks like myself boil is that pro-Georgites feel the need to diss US, for pointing out George's obstinacy and failings. Being a fan of George is odd, but that's their choice. But that doesn't give them the right to insult Star Wars OT fans.

I have read of the Laserdisc rips and wouldn't mind having one, great idea. I'm surprised I haven't worn out my vhs tape yet.

What I don't understand is that when folks like us voice our opinions, and those opinions happen to be of dislike for what Mister Lucas has done to these movies, we get bashed. We get criticized for giving a critique, don't we have a right to our opinion? Don't we have the right to voice it? There is a definite double standard here.

to be fair, we bash the people who like the changes (you know, the weirdos:D ) just as much. It is just natural when people have opposite opinions that some good natured bashing occurs.

I'd just rather people came up with coherent arguements (whatever side they are on) rather than just insults.

I haven't seen the laserdiscs, but i heard that the DVD rips had pretty good pictures for pirate dvds, but i can't imagine them being anywhere near as good as the new DVDs which have great picture quality... so they would be better than the VHS.. but you'd still ahve to make a hard choice...

to be fair, we bash the people who like the changes
Ey, speak for yourself. I'm squeaky-clean. :p

I haven't seen the laserdiscs, but i heard that the DVD rips had pretty good pictures for pirate dvds, but i can't imagine them being anywhere near as good as the new DVDs which have great picture quality... so they would be better than the VHS.. but you'd still ahve to make a hard choice...
That was one of my main concerns as well, until I heard about all the visual and audio ugliness on the new SE DVDs that marred them. Now my only concern is to obtain the OT on a digital medium that won't degrade like VHS will. Thus, rips.

Two HIGHLY detailed comparissons of the originals, special editions and dvds including both lots of screenshots and a number of interesting sound files.

A New Hope

Empire Strikes Back

I assume that ROTJ is to follow. The guy pretty much sums up what i feel anout almost all of the changes. (some good, most ok, some bad, some terrible. Picture amazing, but maybe a bit too coloured, sound mix off)

Some of the comparisson pictures are quite impressive though, although you realise that they have messed up as many saber shots as they have fixed...

I have done some criticizing of the new DVD changes in the past. Some of them I like, others I don't like, others I scratch my head why Lucas wanted to have them changed (but left other things untouched).

The one thing I haven't done is attack people for liking the new changes. I have argued against people claiming that you're not a true fan UNLESS you accept the new changes as improvements and "shut up about the originals."

As fans we're expected to talk this stuff up and all our ideas need not be 100% positive. Likewise if a person buys a product they have every right to point out flaws in it (such as those audio glitches that have been brought up numerous times on the web).

But never have I believed that a person who enjoys these new changes should be attacked because of it. If you like 'em great, more power to ya. Some folks in these arguments make it out to be that you either love everything Lucas does, or you hate everything he stands for. That's an absurd ultimatum for anyone to make.

Archived