Home

The Star Wars DVD thread!

Crazy_dog no.3

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, for those who have it, watch A New Hope again or at least the Tatooine scenes with the droids. Is it me or did they redo the sky or was it apart of cleaning up the film. For some reason it just looks really really different. As for Jabba, they retextured him. It still does not look that great and I think if GL took this scene out in the OT, he should have just left it out.

I watched a lot of the bonus dvd and it seems pretty cool. I still have to finish the actual documentary. So far, I think it was worth the $40.

A minor thing they changed since the Special Edition with these DVD's that I thought was cool is this:

After Luke loses his hand in TESB, and falls into that shaft, he no longer lets out that dumbass scream that they added with the SE. That scream always bothered me when it was added, because it made it seem like Luke fell on accident. Like I said, a small detail, but I thought it was cool.

Originally posted by Chase Windu

Did anybody see the Lukes green saber in ANH? That is so f***ing f***ed up. Piece of f***ing crap! What the f*** is wrong with Lucas anyway?

What? Please...PLEASE tell me you're just messing around. For ****'s sake please tell me you're just pulling strings!

I got my copy of the Special Edition Special Edition and started to watch some of the documentaries and flipped through the trailers and such. Those are cool to see. The Battlefront trailer is killer and the docu on the Episode 3 game looks cool. Hayden got to help with input on his game character as well as the stunt coordinator so that the Jedi moves should be very authentic. Hayden also told them what he wanted his moves to be, now how cool is that?! Hi I'm Darth Vader, this is my light saber attack move for the new Lucas Arts video game. Questions? I didn't think so, you are forgiven, admiral. I mean he's there telling them here is my defense stand, my thrust, my lunge, etc. and all the artists can do is stand, drool, nod and say "uhh, ok, sure". The Episode documentary is cool and should be watched though there isn't much there.

When Luke's and Vader's sabers clash in front of the Emperor in ROTJ it looks really bad. Just watch the ROTJ trailers on the bonus disc and compare. In the trailers it looks great (only flaw is the Emperor's "slug" on the right side of his face... his right). Now the slug is gone but the sabers look like badly done animatics, like they're unfinished.

Also, Luke's saber in ANH changes colors, but it's mostly green! Wtf...

Hayden replacing Shaw is pretty stupid and doesn't seem to be explained.

The rest of the changes I can live with. Greedo's death scene looks better than the SE, but it really never needed to be changed in the first place, it was fine in the original ANH.

The "redubbed lines" for Boba Fett and the new Emperor's lines delivered by the new actor in ESB just don't sound as good as the old.

Whereas Ian McDirmind IS the Emperor, he just doesn't have the right delivery or inflection for the old lines, not like the original actor did. Likewise half of Fett's lines just don't sound quite right. In both cases these are STRONG characters, who are delivering their lines with feeling. Now their voices break a little or are delivered mechanically as if they are reading a script out loud for the first time and it was done in one take. You don't quite get the same epic feeling like these are things the characters really care about. It's not a huge deal, just that since these characters have so few lines (I'm talking here in the Emperor's case in ESB as a whole, since obviously his chracter has a big role in the next movie) those lines should really be delivered well, and I don't feel that they are in the case of the new DVD's. The scene looks good (although Palpy has never looked more lethargic... at least the the old Emperor in that scene cracked a little smile and blinked his, or rather her, eyes more), but doesn't sound as good. Likewise Vader sounds too vulnerable when he delivers his line. It just seems too soon to see Vader's vulnerable side this early (we get that already in ROTJ and the end of ESB before that).

Fett's voice didn't need to be dubbed over as far as I was concerned. He has no new lines and why should his accent by identical to his father's 25 years ago? His voice sounded cooler before anyway.

I also am bummed that Disc 4 (bonus materials) wasted so much time promoting Episode III stuff when they could have included the SE trailers for ESB & ROTJ, and/or some actual deleted scenes and even some more documentaries.

The documentaries are great, but I wish that we could have heard from some of the other principal actors too.

All in all a great DVD set and worth the price, but of course the main feature I was really hoping for was the ability to swap between the ORIGINAL films (cleaned up, but otherwise pre-1997 in content) and the new editions.

PS: For those interested, I posted a sticky for the changes to this DVD:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136494

As to the color changing sabers, it really looks like a rush job on the part of the FX crew editing the DVD's.

Luke's saber is green more often than not in ANH. It starts out blue and "normal" as you'd expect in the scene in Ben's hut. Then it goes from a bright green (practically the color of Luke's saber in ROTJ, although much skinnier, like a prequel saber) in the scene on the Falcon with the remote to a more teal (blue/green, but on the greenish side) in the rest of the training scenes, EXCEPT for a brief scene where it fades to blue when he's blocking the bolts with the helmet over his face. Very weird.

The kicker for me that "proves" it's a glitch and not just my perception is that the shots in the animations of the Bonus Materials (disc 4) shows clips of the same scenes and it's clearly a blue color (matching Obi-Wan's saber in the duel with Vader). So they fixed it for those scenes, but not for the ones in the actual movie... lame!

Incidentally, in the Star Wars movies I always thought of the "A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away..." text at the start of the movie was "blue" (ditto for the ending credits of all the films). It is in the games, almost universally. But I notice that in these DVD's, the text is a teal color now. And in fact, it's the same shade that Luke's saber is in for most of the scenes (minus the bright green saber in the first Falcon shot). Perhaps the color matching or timing was goofed up and it reversed the colors?

If the saber colors had remained consistent within each movie, it wouldn't have been so jarring...

The ROTJ glitch is still the worst though, since the camera lingers on it and you can see just how horrible the clashing sabers look (like somebody drew over it in photoshop with some solid lines).

hmmm....it seems most people hate it more than they like it...but I could care less ....its a few movies....they can change it all they want...I still have the originals...so...uh...who cares.

I mean I might have a different opinion when I watch it...but I dunno.

Originally posted by MaulerZ

Lucas is a moron....:rolleyes:

You don't see artists going into museums with airbrushes to touchup their paintings

No but artist normally don't spend 30-40 years of their lives on a painting.:(

What bothered me the most were the boxes around the ships when they're in space, I didn't notice them in the 97 SE but now it's all you see.

Here's the horrible saber clash

clash.jpg

And about Hayden as Anakin's ghost, Lucas vaguely explains it in the audio commentary during the scene where luke burns vader's suit.

I think you guys where hoping to see an hiperpwzord last efeccts&technology filters powerZ things in the movies.

For me it is ALL RIGHT, the only thing i dont like is how obi wan fights but i cant revive Sir Alec and make him fight and they could have redone the sabers, which it would be the most easy thing to do for them that are pros.

Originally posted by .:CoupeS:.

clash.jpg

And about Hayden as Anakin's ghost, Lucas vaguely explains it in the audio commentary during the scene where luke burns vader's suit. [/b]

Ditto about the saber clash. That one is just horrible, and ruined one of the cooler saber scenes in Jedi (my favorite SW movie). Not good. : (

As to the commentary explanation I'll have to watch that again (or listen rather) because I didn't think it was really explained. In fact, the 2004 visual changes didn't seem to be explained or even mentioned anywhere on the discs. And the movies still say "1997" in the end credits. But I'll check again...

Originally posted by .:CoupeS:.

clash.jpg

And about Hayden as Anakin's ghost, Lucas vaguely explains it in the audio commentary during the scene where luke burns vader's suit.

I seen it before it became the ole x, and all I can say is :swear:

@Hayden replacing Shaw: He dodged the bullet huh? Big surprise, if he'd of talked about it he'd of only made himself sound dumber than doing made him look.

Archived