Home

Rebel Alliance racist?

DemonKing

I was just watching episode IV last night and I noticed at the end of the movie where Han and Luke get their medals Chewie gets *nothing*. He even has to stand lower than the other two (although given he is taller).

In fact, it seems the rebel alliance are exclusively human until ROTJ, by which stage it seem attrition has taken its toll and they are forced to accept non-humans into the mix.

That doesn't stop a mere General like Calrissian overruling Admiral Akbar in the space battle above Endor however.

Originally posted by Lynk Former

It's because Lucas didn't have that much funding. Notice how the prequals have a billion aliens... and that's just in one scene. It's not like they can just come up with alien costumes out of thin air.

Doesn't explain why he couldn't splurge for one more lousy medal for Chewie though.

What I'm wondering is how did Han and Lando get such high ranks when they just got involved with the Rebellion? Lando was working with the Empire helping them capture Rebels, and in the next film he's a general in the Rebel Alliance? If it's that easy to gain a place in command in the Rebel Alliance, I wonder how many Rebel officers were really Imperial spies.

Originally posted by TK-8252

Lando was working with the Empire helping them capture Rebels, and in the next film he's a general in the Rebel Alliance? If it's that easy to gain a place in command in the Rebel Alliance, I wonder how many Rebel officers were really Imperial spies.

They must have heard about his little manouver at the Battle of Tanaab.

Well the number one thing to remember with stuff like this is that it's nore real and it doesn't have to make sense...

"how did she jump off the train onto another train and not get hurt?"

You're not supposed to ask questions like that, the reason anything happens is to make the story progress from start to finish.

Originally posted by Autobot Traitor

Lando was a successful administrator on Bespin, giving him excellent leadership experience. As for Han, he was an experienced pilot and gorilla flying tactics. The latter doesn't really make for a general, but bleh.

Actually, given the lack of fire-power the Rebellion had compaired to the Empire, the Rebellion had to rely on guerilla tactics, thus making Solo an EXCELLENT choice for his experience in said tactics.

As for Calrissian, as Prime said, he was a key factor in the Battle of Tanaab, not to mention he helped in the rescue of Chewbacca, Han Solo, and Princess Leia on Tantooine...not that I think that mattered.

And Calrissian didn't outrank Ackbar, per se', he just had rank over all the squadron leaders in the battle of Endor. Ackbar just took Calrissian's advice when he said they can't retreat at the battle of Endor.

Ackbar was an intellegence officer, Calrissian was a battle officer - they were about even.

And before I forget - Ackbar had to be at the Battle of Endor to captain the Calamari Cruiser he was aboard. They were the Rebellion's only fighting chance against the Star Destroyers.

Ackbar's job in the battle of Endor was to order around the capital ships and support vessels, Lando was incharge of the fighter groups.

When the Death Star used its Super Laser for the first time Ackbar was worried that the capital ships would all be destroyed if the battle kept going for too long which was EXTREMELY likely, however Lando had faith in Han who was tying to take the shield down.

Originally posted by Autobot Traitor

As for Han, he was an experienced pilot and gorilla flying tactics. The latter doesn't really make for a general, but bleh.

Apparently he was also an effective leader, as Leia indicates when Han's getting ready to leave the Rebellion behind to pay his debts at the beginning of ESB. We can see by the way the Rebel respect him in ESB that he's got leadership qualities (and rank already, as I believe he was a Commander). Toss in the fact that he aided in rescuing the Leia from the Death Star and the destruction of the Death Star and he's just bucking for promotions. :)

Kryllith

Originally posted by DemonKing

Doesn't explain why he couldn't splurge for one more lousy medal for Chewie though.

Read the book. He gets his medal, but Chewie is sooo tall that our little 150cm tall princess putting medal on him would be quite difficult. :)

i have 2 theories ...

• chewbacca already had his medal put on, and we (the audience) are not privy to witnessing this, and because his fur is so long/thick the medal is hidden from sight
  • chewbacca has very sensitive skin (you would too if it was covered up all the time) and he would have a nasty allergic reaction to the gold

Other theories:

• He ate it. (old Wookie custom, and he was hungry dangit!)

• It was against his religion to accept it.

• He could either direct the ceremony or get the medal. He chose to roar at the troops. What a guy!

• He donated his medal to the C3PO Restoration Fund, just to show there were no hard feelings about the chess game.

Archived