Home

The Official Merged JK4 Speculation Thread!

Floppythegod

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JK4? What about JK3? They still need to make a JK3 first...
Actually they need to make a DF4. Five, if you count JA or MotS.

Probably for the best. It would be good to wait until the new engines are established.
Hmm, maybe... On the plus side, the engines will be well patched and cheat-proofed if left for a long enough period... And the game would be less likely to be prematurely patched, if all the engine's bugs were ironed out before development of DF4 started.

On the down side, the longer the engines are left to establish themselves, the more experienced the modmakers will be, and the quicker mods for DF4 will come out. I hate mods. :mad:

• Dark Forces (1994)
  • Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight (1997)
  • Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith: Companion Missions (1998)
  • Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (2002) <--- working titles "Jedi Knight 2, Dark Forces III"
  • Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (2003) <--- working title "Jedi Knight 3"

DF used the "Jedi" engine. JK and MotS (the expansion of JK) used the "Sith" engine. JK2 and JKA used the Quake3:TA engine.

The rest has been said numerous times. I'd love to see a "Dark Jedi" game or a "Star Wars Vs. Star Trek" game in the series, with all the best features of the series. ; )

mods extend the shelf life of games!!
They extend the shelf-life of mods. CS is a mod for HL, but when people play CS they're not playing HL. They're playing the mod. How is that good for HL MP?

What happened in JO was that mods split the community into little camps who all hated each other. It's bad enough when you have gunners vs. sabreists and FFers vs. NFers... add "plusplusplus" adminmods and you have a soup... of disaster.

And that's why I hate mods. Especially small pointless ones that don't change much about the game. :mad:

PS: SW vs. ST? That's the stuff of nightmares... :(

I dunno, I just imagine some cool hybrid game (akin to Aliens Vs. Predator 2 meets UT2k4) using the talents of Raven Software.

I mean, they made Elite Force AND the last two JK games. They could do it... ; )

A good point about mods. I doubt more than a handfull publically play HL online anymore, they all play mods, and especially commercially supported ones like CounterStrike (I've seen it on the shelf at Best Buy as recently as two months ago).

No prob. ; )

They don't seem to be playing up the Episode III game as the next Jedi Knight, though they have said that it is the "ultimate Jedi simulator" or something along those lines (which they also said about Obi-Wan IIRC). Considering it's based on one movie and console only, that should make it abundantly clear that it's not part of the DF/JK series. Oh well...

its cool :). i just really hope they make jedi knight 4 to epi III game what jedi knight 2 was to obi wan game. on a side not though i would really love to see a hybrid universe game that you were talking about with both star trek and star wars. it'd be so wicked awesome.

The hard part would be getting the liscensing (it helps if both franchises are owned by the same company, which in this case they are not... Paramount and LucasFilm). But maybe after Episode III is over and done with Lucas will lighten up and take advantage of the whole "Vs." thing.

I mean Freddy Vs. Jason and Alien Vs. Predator were by all counts bad movies, but they made a lot of money. There's rumors of Robo-Cop vs. Terminator and Superman Vs. Batman out there...

Then there was a big splash in gaming in the last few years with "SNK vs. Capcom" fighting game (two different companies too).

Still, the "ultimate grudge match" would be great. Fans have been wanting a showdown for a long time. And it could be done in such a way as to be interesting and go either way without totally ruining either franchise (again I point to the AvP game series model).

Originally posted by Kurgan

To further explain my theory of the "Jedi" idea leading to the "h0n0rz" mentality...

I think that the attitude about Jedi being "special" is that "every Jedi deserves a battle" meaning that, like Samurai or Kendo students you are supposed to pick and choose every match carefully, that your personal honor is at stake at all times. That you have to "defend" that honor in a very specific way. There is a science to "challenging" and to "accepting" because you have to be perfectly equal at all times. That means if you have greater skill you can't take advantage of that, so you have to handicap yourself and not use powerful moves or the same strategy over and over, or you dishonor yourself. And you can't take your opponent by surprise because that would dishonor yourself or them.

So this complicated mystique arises, from the idea that the Jedi is special and has to follow special rules.

This also leads to the idea that the lightsaber is the only weapon you can use in battle. Theoretically (unless you're playing Siege) everybody gets one. But wow, somebody can just nail you long range with a gun or blow you up with a bomb before you have a chance to swing at them.

So it's also easier just to say "learn one weapon and use it only." As if again they were practicing some "real" Jedi code.

"This weapon is your life."

Etc.

So the h0n0rz player then gets the idea that not only should he use the saber exclusively and not take advantage of his opponent, but always fight him equally and one on one, but EVERYONE ELSE should follow this code as well (otherwise you'd have people getting killed right and left, ready or not, and that would be anarchy right?).

These sensitive souls who have been drawn into the pseudo-Jedi mystique now treat this as a wholly unique "world" they live and interact in.

So you're either chatting or you're dueling "Honorably." Nothing else is acceptable behavior.

Even though, ultimately JK games are just FPS games with force and sabers tacked on for variety's sake.

After all, the majority of characters in Star Wars are NOT Jedi and don't use the lightsaber or force. Jedi are a tiny minority (10,000 at their peak in a galaxy of countless trillions of beings, and only 2 Sith at any one time). But since they are the "coolest" characters, everybody wants to be them, and so they have to stop people from being anything but "Jedi" as they concieve of them.

Likewise the majority of weapons, tactics, maps, etc in the game were NOT designed for one on one battling, but for mass fighting, or team based fighting. Most h0n0rz players disable Force powers too, because they think these powers interfere with "pure dueling" again that goes to show you the developers don't subscribe to the same belief system these folks espouse.

Sure you have the option to play sabers only, dueling, but these folks are not satisifed with that, they pile HONOR CODES on top of that (ideology) and admin mods (force ideology) to "punish" people that don't wish to follow the codes and made up rules.

It's the idea that the "Jedi Way" (as they concieve of it, which really has little to do with the movies and how Star Wars Jedi actually behave) is superior to all other "Ways" of playing the game.

They say that without this "Jedi Way" this is just another generic FPS and that is the ONLY way they play and the ONLY way they can have fun (and thus they must FORCE all other players to adopt the Jedi Way).

Yet, they forget that the game was designed to have Jedi and non Jedi playing side by side, using a variety of weapons, tactics and strategies to play Standard FPS game modes.

JA and JK2 are still very unique games in the scheme of things because of the inclusion of Sabers and Force. But the game really wasn't designed only for the "Jedi Way."

Still, even with its default setup, JA allows you to be more like movie Jedi than like the pseudo Jedi of the "Jedi Way" (the h0n0rz way).

Adherents of the h0n0rz philosophy say that the Jedi Way is " respectful and a good way to have fun " once you've proven to them that it's nothing like the Jedi in the movies.

But again, they ignore the fact that thousands upon thousands of FPS players enjoy the type of kill or be killed gameplay the games were designed for.

If Raven had intended for the "Jedi Way" to be supreme law, then Duel would be the only game mode, and the lightsaber would be the only weapon. Force Powers probably wouldn't even exist (except maybe Neutral powers).

Also they would have made you unkillable except during a Saber Challenge with your saber turned on. They would have done a lot more things to ensure that the game followed the "Jedi Way." Otherwise why rely on fans to make up these rules and enforce them with means outside the game?

Without Jedi, this entire philosophy goes down the drain. So you'll be left with the standard FPS mentality of kill or be killed, do the objectives, PLAY THE GAME not worry about who's honor is being slighted or how to challenge someone to and honorable battle of egos (and it IS about egos more so than it is about points, winning or anything else).

Well, I've never understood the whole honor code thing considering in "saber only" games your trying to cut each others nuts off with a lightsaber.

Originally posted by Nokill

why do you need to read evry letter or you have to scrol to mutch this way?

No - it is a sign of respect and consideration to others. You quote in order to emphasize or respond. Quoting also adds context - so you know what the reply is referring to.

It is fair to assume that people in a thread will have read the posts - especially the recent ones (assuming everyone has fully digested 11 pages of merged threads is perhaps a bit much). Therefore block quoting a pretty huge post is wasteful for those of limited bandwidth and serves to disrespect those who have read the post. The result is that the person making the bulk quote doesn't get their point across.

Mike

• 6 months later...

Other Force abilities I will Like to see are;

Abilities like ; breaking objects with the force that aren’t

broken,(like statues ,parts of building structures, bridges, turrets,vehicals and anything etc.) to use at your opponents like in the movies. Also the ability two use water around ponds, rivers and near sea shorces.So you will have the ability to be able to create a tital wave or small tsunami to drown your opponets and destroy any thing they have like vehicals, turrets and structures they are occupying. Another force ability I will like to see, is the ability to create explosion that will burn anything in your path that the shockwave engulfs. Also and that abilities depends on how powerful you are in the Force. Another power I will like to see is fire and use that power to be able to create a fire fuel wind that can be controlled to circulate you or direct in any direction. Also the ability to create a earthquake like power to use at your foes, for instance use it at a AT-ST to make it loose it balance and fall over and a darkside power like force crush i.e. KOTOR II. Lastly a lot more powers(I can think at the moment) like in Knights Of the Old Republic. :lsduel::slsaber:

Archived