Home

Post #11,000

Rogue15

Or all the countries with colonies pooled their money when they came up with the Gundam Fight thing or whatever it was called and mutuall financed the gundams.

This is kinda my theory...

As far as the internet goes, there's a Kenyan military but no details are available. I think I saw a picture of a Kenyan MiG-21 once.

Well, theres obviously a military, but like I predicted, it's euipment was provided by the former USSR.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Nute Gunray

You can't apply real world stuff to this situation though. In Star Wars, transit to another planet runs a couple grand, which is more than buying a starship costs. A TIE Fighter runs around 5,000 credits (A Defender type TIE is 300,000 credits and costs "five times" as much as a regular TIE). Those numbers are all crazy compared to ours. Would YOU buy an airline ticket that cost $2000 when you could just buy your own airliner for the same price? In our world, a ship like the Millenium Falcon would probably run upwards of $25m. But if credit=dollar a TIE costs $5000, I'd assume a YT-1300 several times more and is easily in the reach of a small time smuggler (Say $15,000). See how different universes get all screwy?

Take profit into account here. TIEs are manufactured by the Empire directly in SW, they aren't going to be paying huge profits; most likely that figure is the base price that it costs to make the TIE fighter. Plus they're pretty basic compared to most craft. No hyperdrive, no life support, etc.

So you can't really extrapolate the price of a civilian craft from the cost of manufacturing for a TIE fighter.

(Also, it costs around 60,000, not 5,000. The number is "over" 300,000 credits, and dividing by five comes out with four zeroes not three.)

Originally posted by Lynk Former

I think they got it from me Ike... I saw it in a Garfield comic a long long time ago... it's better than saying "f***ed"

Who's "they"? He was talking to YOU, no one else has said "unked" in this thread :D

Shanz: HI :D Welcome back ^^

Originally posted by Redwing

So you can't really extrapolate the price of a civilian craft from the cost of manufacturing for a TIE fighter.

(Also, it costs around 60,000, not 5,000. The number is "over" 300,000 credits, and dividing by five comes out with four zeroes not three.)

I extrapolated the price of a civilian craft from Luke's "We could almost buy our own ship for that much" line. I assumed he'd be buying something smaller than the Falcon (figure the Falcon is the space equivalent of a light box truck, like the type they use for U-Haul, Ryder, or Penske rentals). Then again, Luke sold his beater of a landspeeder for 2000 credits and claimed he got ripped off. 2000 seemed like a good deal, considering if I was looking at a car that was in that shape I wouldn't pay $300

Math is why I'm a Liberal Arts major.

OH yeah, either way a TIE is still going to cost an assload of star wars money. It IS high end military hardware, even the basic TIE. The people that wrote the EU stuff ignored how well they performed in ANH (and their apparent shields they sported).

Originally posted by Nute Gunray

I extrapolated the price of a civilian craft from Luke's "We could almost buy our own ship for that much" line. I assumed he'd be buying something smaller than the Falcon (figure the Falcon is the space equivalent of a light box truck, like the type they use for U-Haul, Ryder, or Penske rentals). Then again, Luke sold his beater of a landspeeder for 2000 credits and claimed he got ripped off. 2000 seemed like a good deal, considering if I was looking at a car that was in that shape I wouldn't pay $300

Math is why I'm a Liberal Arts major.

OH yeah, either way a TIE is still going to cost an assload of star wars money. It IS high end military hardware, even the basic TIE. The people that wrote the EU stuff ignored how well they performed in ANH (and their apparent shields they sported).

Heh. Okay. (I can't say I remember all this stuff, I just saw what I took to be errors in your reasoning. ;))

I noticed the EU writers ignored other EU as well when they made TIEs really weak; c'mon, they can be torn apart by wind? Huh?

Anyway.

Originally posted by Redwing

I noticed the EU writers ignored other EU as well when they made TIEs really weak; c'mon, they can be torn apart by wind? Huh?

Yeah its not like we haven't ever seen the flying around in the upper atmosphere of a gas giant. Oh wait. We did. And the Empire cares so little for its pilots they didnt' fit the TIEs with ejection systems but somehow that one guy punched out in the Empire Strikes Back. Woops!

Archived