Home

Was Dooku Yoda's Apprentice?

Shok_Tinoktin

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GODV hexology was before the idea of all the EU working together and being a single continuous story. The comic came out in June or July. When it comes to EU, the comic is about as official as most anything else (although it is not too late for GL to change that in ROTS). As far as I'm concerned, it is more than conjecture, and has in some way or another been approved by Lucas, I am satisfied to accept it as fact.

• 4 weeks later...

I had never questioned Dooku's Padawanship by Yoda. I had always taken it as foreshadowing that a Jedi could fall to the Dark Side, even one that was trained by the master of masters, Yoda. Maybe George through that in so Obi-Wan wouldn't feel so bad about Anakin turning to the Dark side.

technically, i think everyone is yoda's padawan at one point or another, if taking the viewpoint that yoda is the only jedi we see teaching the younglings. however, i don't think dooku was that young when he joined the jedi order, so i believe that yoda was his master, much in the same way that qui-gon was obi-wan's.

Originally posted by adillon

technically, i think everyone is yoda's padawan at one point or another, if taking the viewpoint that yoda is the only jedi we see teaching the younglings. however, i don't think dooku was that young when he joined the jedi order, so i believe that yoda was his master, much in the same way that qui-gon was obi-wan's.

Why don't you think Dooku was that young when he joined?

Originally posted by Shok_Tinoktin

I have just seen in the Dark Horse comic Jedi:Yoda, that Dooku is was in fact, Yoda's apprentice. That's proof enough for me.

I looked at it again, and this is not true. I was just skimming the comic and I put some stuff together very innacurately.

That is why I asked if he was his apprentice. He could have been just a padawan at the temple.

Now that I think about it, it is a valid question because Obi-Wans ghost told Luke that Yoda was the Jedi Master that "instructed" him. In Yoda's hovel when Luke first meets Yoda, Obi says to Yoda, "was I any different when you first taught me?" Maybe when Yoda was trying to put Dooku in his place before the fight, sort of like saying "I remember when I changed your diapers". Saying that doesn't mean that you were some bodies parents, it just means that you babysat the person possibly when you were a kid, or something. I mean we all know for a fact that Obi's Master was Qui-Gon, but he says that Yoda was his instructor, which from AOTC, Yoda teaches all younglings at some time.

Originally posted by Nairb Notneb

Why don't you think Dooku was that young when he joined?

i didn't think so because of his title as count. i thought that when one joined the jedi order, all contact with one's family was cut-off. but the starwars.com databank states:

Dooku had studied the ways of the Force for almost eight decades, becoming one of its most powerful practitioners, though his ultimate loyalty was not to the structured protocols of the Jedi order, but rather to his own intuitions and ideals. His strong sense of independence concerned many, and even his mentor, Yoda, had difficulty reining him in.

i thought i had read somewhere that the influence and riches of dooku's family had helped to finance the separatists movement, which seemed contradictory to what the databank states. maybe when dooku left the order he inherited what was his. i dunno ...

i thought i had read somewhere that the influence and riches of dooku's family had helped to finance the separatists movement, which seemed contradictory to what the databank states. maybe when dooku left the order he inherited what was his. i dunno ...

Dooku (Palpatine actually) used the trade federation and the banking clans to finance the Seperatists. They had money but no armies. He hooked them up with the Geonosians to create the separtist movement.

Eight decades = 80 years. Christopher Lee was nearly 80 years old when he played the part of Count Dooku in the movie.

So if his character's age is about 80, then that means he was VERY YOUNG when he joined the Order, probably an infant or toddler like the other Jedi are supposedly when they join.

• 1 year later...
He got the title of count becuase he was the leader of the Seperatists. It was nothing personal, just the political title of their leader. Technically, GG should've become Count Grevious, but nevermind.

Actually, he got the title of count when he inherited his estate on Serenno.

In AOTC, Yoda refers to Dooku as "My old padawan". Did he just mean this because he was a student at the temple, or did he take him on as an apprentice?

Dooku was Yodas apprentice, thats what a Padawan is. Students at the temple are Younglings until they are 13 and then they are chosen by a Jedi Knight to be their Padawan.

If we assume that Yoda isn't just referring to every single "youngling" (which he also refers to as "Padawan" in other instances in both AOTC and ROTS) as his Padawan (Ie: that Dooku was just another of many kids he taught), I wonder...

Who is Yoda's Padawan supposed to be in TPM... in AOTC... in ROTS?

Or does every Jedi Knight/Master need to take a Padawan?

How many Padawans are there? How many little ones does Yoda have to train? (the 8-12 we see in the movies only?)

There's canonically about 10,000 Jedi in the galaxy in the Prequel Era, but I still don't know if that only includes Knight level or above, or also these wannabe trainees.

Do their small numbers mean every Knight has to have a Padawan, or not?

Obi-Wan doesn't seem to have one after Anakin. Mace Windu doesn't seem to have one, etc. Or do they get time off between students?

I can understand them giving classes and whatnot, but the relationship between Qui Gon/Obi-Wan and Obi-Wan/Anakin implies to us that they hang around each other all the time and go on missions together, etc.

According to EU sources, a Jedi does not have to take a padawan, and the rank of master can be achieved without taking one if the Council feels the individual's accomplishments and abilities warrant it. I believe the original Jorus C'baoth was an example of this.

And in ROTS Kenobi implies that the Council would some day soon make Anakin a master (and thus it isn't too important that he isn't made one upon his Council appointment), which would indicate that taking a padawan wasn't technically required. But this would seem to be the exceptional cases. The traditional path is to train a padawan to knighthood.

Well, there is no saying anywhere that training a Padawan is required before being a Master.

That, and Master does not equal member of the council. A number of Masters are not council member.

Some Masters are quite choicey when it comes to taking a Padawan, while some are less anale about it. Younglings aren't attach to anyone. They are just kids waiting to be chosen as padawan. Oh, and they sizzle well against a red lightsaber.

Archived